Team's Strongest/Fastest Player?

AUpreacherman22

Who is Auburn's strongest player?

Ive heard people marvel over the strength of Braden Smith and Nick Coe. Is it one of these guys? Or is someone else even stronger?

Who is Auburn's fastest player?

This one may be even more difficult to discern. A lot of people are in contention for this one. 

What are your thoughts?

Strongest is tough, because there are so many areas of strength.  From everything I've read, Smith may own the arm strength category, but I'm not sure about leg strength.

Fastest... Iggy. 

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Strongest is tough, because there are so many areas of strength.  From everything I've read, Smith may own the arm strength category, but I'm not sure about leg strength.

Fastest... Iggy. 

If my memory serves me right, Smith owns the squats as well and has owned it for years.  In high school he was already squating over 500 lbs.

21 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

If my memory serves me right, Smith owns the squats as well and has owned it for years.  In high school he was already squating over 500 lbs.

I just wonder what James and the Princes squat.  I've never seen their numbers.

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It would be fun to know the 2 categories broken down by positional group.  

That would be fun!  Any attempts I would make would be pure guesses. Anybody heard anything from folks that have been in the weight room with these guys?

Last year, I was told by a reliable source (one of the players on the team) that Will Hastings was the fastest on the field.  It was one reason he got targeted early last year.  Not sure if that still holds true this year, but he would be in the top percentage for speed.

10 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

Last year, I was told by a reliable source (one of the players on the team) that Will Hastings was the fastest on the field.  It was one reason he got targeted early last year.  Not sure if that still holds true this year, but he would be in the top percentage for speed.

He's never been the fastest, but last year he was the quickest (in other words, he hasn't got the top speed, but he's able to get off the mark and change direction faster than the others). There are several who have a higher top speed than Hastings... Franklin and Stove immediately come to mind, and of course Iggy, who could end up as the fastest we've had in a long time.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He's never been the fastest, but last year he was the quickest (in other words, he hasn't got the top speed, but he's able to get off the mark and change direction faster than the others). There are several who have a higher top speed than Hastings... Franklin and Stove immediately come to mind, and of course Iggy, who could end up as the fastest we've had in a long time.

Okay, understand what you are saying and it may have been the term quickest instead of fastest.  I just remember having lunch with a player and his comment was Hastings would be the surprise based on his speed/quickness (or something to that effect).

2 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

Okay, understand what you are saying and it may have been the term quickest instead of fastest.  I just remember having lunch with a player and his comment was Hastings would be the surprise based on his speed/quickness (or something to that effect).

Yea... if you want to dig around posts from last year, someone posted pictures of the team's drill boards.  Hastings basically owned the agility drills and wasn't far down the charts on some of the pure speed drills.

Strongest should be based on weight of the person.  It is unfair to look at direct lifting numbers and say this guy is stronger then that guy.  If you have someone at 150lbs that squats 600+ then you have a guy at 300 or squats 700+ I would say the 150 lb/lb is much stronger.  I would also go off of the core lifts (Bench, Dead, and Squat) and the cumlative total against their body weight.

I would also break it down to smaller muscles so way back machine anyone remember the peg boards for the presidents physical fitness program. Stuff like that can you go up and down the board can you climb a rope that is 60 feet high and back down can you push a 300lb sled 10 yards.  All these ancillary items should play into it and yes your smaller guys will dominate the top but they really are stronger above and beyond F=MA. 

Example:  I was maybe 5'4" and 130lbs with a weight towel on my head but I hit the 1,300 lb club in High School way back when we did that sort of stuff.  (Bench, Dead, Squat).  You might have had a senior who was 300lbs and hit 1500 lbs who was stronger? 

The strongest has to be Smith. It would be interesting to know how much Smith is benching now. I think last year he benched over 600. Apparently another strong one is the Freshman DL Truesdell. Rodney was raving about his strength on one of the videos. The fastest is a tougher one. On any given day there are several players in contention to win that title.

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I have problems believing anyone is faster than JF3.

JF3 is probably a tad bit faster because he has had collegiate training, but Iggy as a high school senior was faster compared to JF3 as a senior. Not by much, but in track, he was a bit faster in the 100 and 200. 

Either way, it is between those two.

However, if we get Schwartz from Florida, it is a wrap. Neither JF3 or Iggy is seeing him...period.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

JF3 is probably a tad bit faster because he has had collegiate training, but Iggy as a high school senior was faster compared to JF3 as a senior. Not by much, but in track, he was a bit faster in the 100 and 200. 

Either way, it is between those two.

However, if we get Schwartz from Florida, it is a wrap. Neither JF3 or Iggy is seeing him...period.

Don't forget J. Davis

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Don't forget J. Davis

Yes him too. He actually might be the fastest now that I think about it.

Just now, DAG said:

Yes him too. He actually might be the fastest now that I think about it.

...And my official man crush. :punk:

Strength is a relative term when you are doing bench or squats you are locking out your arms or legs. A short man locks out over a shorter distance but has not moved the weight as far. So if a taller man moved the weight further but doesn't lock out he still exerted more force. Some of the sled drills show a different type of strength as everybody is moving the weight the same distance but than a bigger man has an advantage as he has more weight to put behind it.

Speed against the clock is different then speed on the field. Against the clock it is about technique plus natural speed on the field it is about seeing the game and reacting plus speed a fast man who doesn't make the reads as fast will often lose to a slightly slower man who has a better feel for the game.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

...And my official man crush. :punk:

He might be.. LOL. Like I said, the only issue I have with him is the last lasered he had was a  high 4.4 then in the spring he jumped to a 4.18...we might have to see the tape on that one. He is up there though.

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Fastest... Iggy. 

Travels by air.

8 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Travels by air.

and Mr. Carlson can get that ball down the field in a heartbeat.

Archived