2017 Fall Softball. schedule released

Schedule is up on www.auburntigers.com.  Five of the teams from junior college ranksand a couple from division II.  Game dates October 14, 20, 21, and 28.  Looking forward to seeing how the new players fit in as well as how the regulars look.  

Aug. 14, 2017

AUBURN, Ala. - Head coach Clint Myers and the Auburn softball program have announced the 2017 fall schedule Monday, featuring eight games across four dates. All contests are set to take place at Jane B. Moore Field.

The annual slate pits the Tigers against five opponents from the community college ranks and two from Division II.

Auburn opens the fall season with a three-team tournament Oct. 14. The Tigers host Northwest Florida State Community College and Enterprise State Community College in a doubleheader at 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively.

On Oct. 20, Auburn will tangle with Wallace State Community College-Hanceville in a doubleheader, beginning at 3 p.m.

The Tigers then entertain Valdosta State and Snead State on Oct. 21 for a round robin at Jane B. Moore Field. Auburn plays Valdosta State at 3 p.m. before taking on Snead State at 5:30 p.m.

The Tigers wrap up the slate with their final three-team tournament of the fall on Oct. 28. Auburn faces Columbus State and Central Alabama Community College at 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m., respectively.

Admission is free to all fall Auburn softball games.

2017 Auburn Softball Fall Schedule    
Date Opponent Time (CT)
Saturday, Oct. 14 Northwest Florida St. CC 3:00 p.m.
  Enterprise St. CC 5:30 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 20 Wallace St. CC - Hanceville 3:00 p.m.
  Wallace St. CC - Hanceville 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 21 Valdosta St. 3:00 p.m.
  Snead St. 5:30 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 28 Columbus St. 1:30 p.m.
  Central Alabama CC 4:00 p.m.

From looking back at some older you tube videos and news articles I would say roughly the 3rd week in September for "official practice".   It was around 9/21 in 2015 and 9/17  in 2013.  I believe last year there was an announced open practice Oct 1 the day prior to the Alumni game although I get a sense that all practices are open..  Auburn Fall Semester classes begin August 21.

• 1 month later...

Open practices begin today but I have not seen any times published.  I called Megan Reynolds, Director of Softball operations, about 10 minutes ago and left a message suggesting they publish the schedule on the  Softball Twitter account.  I like to attend some of the practices and curious to see how Coach Dean runs his practice as compared to Coach Myers.  Things may be a bit abbreviated until staff issues are settled.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I attended practice yesterday.  The following is a small sampling through the eyes of a non-expert.  I estimate about 20 fans in attendance.

Two players were “sidelined” and did not participate.  Livy Schiele, the highly touted outfielder had a brace on her right leg.  I doubt we will see her in fall ball.  Brittany Marsette was also sitting out practice.  Also, Greenwood had some sort of strap support for her right shoulder but participated in all drills as far as I could determine.

Batting practice was underway with 3 stations going at once.  One thing that appeared interesting was that one station was using a pitching machine that was apparently set on very fast speed such that most of the batters could rarely make contact.  The next station was a manager throwing at a “reasonable” speed then another machine also at reasonable speed.  You took 5 cuts in each station.  I presume that the fast station made the subsequent stations seem really slow.  Although not a golfer, it might be like practicing putting at a very small hole then when you see the standard hole it looks easier.  Justus Perry crushed several balls thrown by the manager.  Also, Talon Snow was able to make several good contacts with the fast machine.  During batting practice, the 3 “underclassman” pitchers (Swindle, Bilodeau, and Harris) were in the outfield shagging the hit balls.  Coach Dean was with Carlson and Martin in the right field pitching cage.  There was no live game type pitching by our pitchers during this practice.

This is what I recall about infield positions.  First base Tannon Snow, Perry and Dakota Morrow.  2nd Crocker and Dowell, SS McCrackin and Taylon Snow, 3rd Veach and Nutt.  I am sure there were other combinations but those I remember.  All 3 catchers got equal practice time.  Draper was her usual self in CF and I thought Bree Fornis looked improved.  She had a some good throws and hits.  What impressed me….how much velocity Veach has on the throw from 3rd to 1st and how comfortable Snow looks at SS .   Last year at one of the fall practices I attended a couple of players looked a bit lost……not so this year even at this early stage, everyone appears to have a grasp on what they are doing. 

One of our favorite parts of the practice was the live action “run down” drill with a runner on 1st and a batter (manager pitcher).  Coach Dean supervised this and it was fun to watch.  Good throws in when a ball was hit into the outfield and good infield plays and numerous run downs. 

Coach Dean appears a bit more interactive with his players and several times during the session he would stop the action and huddle the players to make some brief remarks.  The pace and tension may be dialed down a notch.  To be fair, Coach is getting his first look at his team in action.  I would love to know what he thinks about the skill level he has inherited.    Emily Carosone was at practice and assisted in some of the infield drills.

Random thoughts….we may have some effective slappers this year.  Taylon Snow, Draper and Crocker can do it.  I like how smooth Crocker can be with the bat.  Hope  a year of experience will allow more consistency.  Also, the injured Livy Schiele I believe fits in that catagroy.  (correction; after checking it appears Livy clearly "hits away" .....very impressively I might add in high school)

Thanks mucho for the report.  Sorry to hear that Schiele is apparently injured.  You mentioned all the new players except Olzsewski, I believe.  She would have been in the outfield, assigned #5.

Definitely Olszewski was a participant.  From my vantage point behind home plate it is just easier for me to keep track of the closer infield players while a lot of the more distant outfield groupings are not as definable; especially the new players. 

Thanks for the report Slot.   I'm really excited to get this season started.   We couldn't have picked a better replacement for Myers than Mickey Dean.  This roster is loaded and we should see a lot of great things beginning in a few weeks.  

So glad we can keep being relevant in softball (with execution of course). Softball has been so enjoyable to watch. I have become such a fan since the Myers hire, now Dean. Looking forward to it. 

Thanks for the report, Slot.  Always nice to hear practice reports and what's going on with the team.  I admin with the issues we've had in the last year, I was leaning toward hiring a female coach which more than likely would have been an assistant wanting to move up.  Hiring Mickey Dean was the best possible solution we could have hoped for. I'm excited for next season.

26 minutes ago, saminbama said:

Thanks for the report, Slot.  Always nice to hear practice reports and what's going on with the team.  I admin with the issues we've had in the last year, I was leaning toward hiring a female coach which more than likely would have been an assistant wanting to move up.  Hiring Mickey Dean was the best possible solution we could have hoped for. I'm excited for next season.

I know what you mean.  Lombardi at OU was one of my top choices.  And like Coach Dean, she had strong ties to the area where she lived.  I never thought we would get Mickey Dean to leave his home stomping grounds but essentially doubling a salary has a way of doing that.  In the Auburn pod cast I referenced in another post, Annie Smith reiterated what I presume is common knowledge.  Everyone who makes it into the world series has great pitching.  After that you need good defense and timely hitting.  In the world series a couple of years ago we had the pitching but had the unexpected misfortune to have a couple of defensive blips and could not overcome it with timely hitting.  I feel we are in good hands with good pitching, hitting and defensive coaches and talented players at all positions.  

Practice Thursday 10/5/2017

First off, there were a few news articles people might find interesting.  AL.com, Auburn Undercover and Opelika-Auburn News all had softball articles yesterday/today.  Some of the main aspects were mention of getting stronger, change in hitting philosophy and cancelled game next season with James Madison (mutual agreement).  Also, players adapting to new coaching style.

Wife and I drove down to practice yesterday, and to our surprise they had a scrimmage.  All pitchers pitched 2 innings. At the start, one team consisted of Chardonnay Harris pitching, Shea (C), Perry (1st) Dowell (2nd), Snow (SS), Veach (3rd), Rivera (RF), Draper (CF), Olszewski) (LF).  The other team consisted of Bilodeau, Tissier, Morrow, Crocker, McCrackin, Nutt, Greenwood, Fornis, Podany.   Remaining players were exchanged in/out at different times as practice progressed.

Tannon Snow did not practice from what I saw.  I did see her in the dougout and on the field when coach called players over for team conference.   Schiele has a smaller brace on her leg/knee and was walking around with slight limp.  I attempted to get some info on her status but all any one would say was “she’s rehabbing” .  Medical privacy I presume.  Maressette  did practice.  Did not see Coach Smith at practice.

Regarding pitchers:  We know the two top dogs, Carlson and Martin.  I thought Martin looked a bit stronger in 2 innings of work.  I was impressed with Chardonnay Harris.  Thought she had good control and threw a couple of good curves that broke inside on RHB’s.  Swindle looked stronger throwing.  Bilodeau had a couple of balls “get away” from her but has good power.  I would say that none of these gals are “chopped liver”.

Continue to be impressed with Talon Snow both in the field and at the plate.  McCrackin also good at the SS position and has had good at bats. Snow just looks so natural out there and seems to have good instincts.  Hard to believe she is a true freshman.  I believe all our middle infielders are going to be just fine. 

A couple of plays I saw that impressed me:  Jenna Olszewski made good diving catch in LF.

Nutt at 3rd made good play on grounder by Perry and made good throw to 1st to get Perry out. 

Rivera hit a laser line drive off Carlson to CF for a double. 

The last 45 minutes of practice was devoted to hitting with 3 cages set up and players alternating after 3 at bats each cage.  Managers were pitching.  Veach hit a couple of long balls over.  There were others who hit home runs but hers were really long.  McCrackin is improved.  Bree Fronis looks to have advanced.  I do recall Olszwski hit a couple over the wall.   The real surprise to me was the appearance of Makayla Martin and Ashlee Swindle taking batting practice.  Interestingly, Martin bats left.  I would say both did fairly well.  I know Swindle was a good hitter in high school. 

Another injury update.  Last week I retrieved a couple of foul balls that went into the stands down 1st base side.  I had to throw them over the fence.  My shoulder has been a tad sore since that time and my wife held me out for this practice.  I suppose you could say I am “day to day”.

If you missed it the first fall game is Friday, Oct 13.  Previously had been scheduled for Sat.

War Eagle

Thanks for the update Slot.

Did not know they had change the first fall game to Friday - thanks for letting us know.

Archived