A Few of my 'takeaways" from Charlottesville

homersapien

1 hour ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

Post it, please. I have seen a lot of video, but no firearms. I don't think Va. is an open-carry state, so if there were, police should have acted immediately. I own guns, but I would never take one into a politically volatile rally.

You really want to doubt this more than you wish to google.

http://www.opencarry.org/state-info-t-z/virginia/

Just now, TexasTiger said:

You really want to doubt this more than you wish to google.

http://www.opencarry.org/state-info-t-z/virginia/

Already made the correction. Looked it up. They should still have a law banning them from these rallies. They do here in AL.

55 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

Already made the correction. Looked it up. They should still have a law banning them from these rallies. They do here in AL.

I don't see why anyone needs to walk around with assault rifles outside a war zone.

First of all, and let me emphasize this greatly, there is no such thing as an assault rifle in civilian hands except for the few fully automatic weapons licensed by the ATF with a tax stamp. There are people who hunt prairie dogs and other varmints with variations of the AR-15 semi-auto sporter platform, and some, like me, who shoot competitively with one. There are also farmers and ranchers in the southwest who have been invaded by illegal drug and weapon smugglers coming in with illegal foreign nationals on our southern border who have the need to protect their families and property. To your point, there have been more and more instances of the government inserting itself into private property rights issues and citizens have died as a result. The AR platform is one of the most versatile firearm systems in the world. There are those who believe it to be the perfect multi-purpose system around. So yes, there are those of us who want , or need, a great semi-automatic sporter rifle. BTW, the AR is not the only firearm that can be used. The semi-auto rifle has been a part of the American heritage for decades, most of which can use high-capacity magazines. BTW, I have an M1 Carbine from the Korean War that can take 30-round mags. I'd hardly call it an assault rifle.

58 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

First of all, and let me emphasize this greatly, there is no such thing as an assault rifle in civilian hands except for the few fully automatic weapons licensed by the ATF with a tax stamp. There are people who hunt prairie dogs and other varmints with variations of the AR-15 semi-auto sporter platform, and some, like me, who shoot competitively with one. There are also farmers and ranchers in the southwest who have been invaded by illegal drug and weapon smugglers coming in with illegal foreign nationals on our southern border who have the need to protect their families and property. To your point, there have been more and more instances of the government inserting itself into private property rights issues and citizens have died as a result. The AR platform is one of the most versatile firearm systems in the world. There are those who believe it to be the perfect multi-purpose system around. So yes, there are those of us who want , or need, a great semi-automatic sporter rifle. BTW, the AR is not the only firearm that can be used. The semi-auto rifle has been a part of the American heritage for decades, most of which can use high-capacity magazines. BTW, I have an M1 Carbine from the Korean War that can take 30-round mags. I'd hardly call it an assault rifle.

Geez, not this discussion again.:-\

There's no such thing as a definitive definition of an "assault" rifle but pretty much any high power (centerfire) rifle with a high capacity, detachable magazine qualifies as a military combat design, including (obviously) your M1 carbine, even though it's basically a glorified pistol.

What you do with it doesn't change what it is.

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Geez, not this discussion again.:-\

There's no such thing as a definitive definition of an "assault" rifle but pretty much any high caliber (centerfire) rifle with a high capacity, detachable magazine qualifies as a military combat design, including (obviously) your M1 carbine, even though it's basically a glorified pistol.

That's what the anti-gun argument is, but it's not valid. Magazine capacity has nothing to do with rate-of-fire, which is critical to an assault rifle. Someone could also take out a lot of people with a single-load rifle like a Springfield 1903 or a Schmidt-Reuben K-31 from a long way off. Anyone asking to ban them? 

When you say high-caliber, do you mean caliber, or bullet type? An AR is basically a .22 caliber projectile, unless you get into the realm of the .308 or 7.62 mm NATO, which isn't nearly as plentiful as the .223 or 5.56 mm NATO. As far as capacity goes, I can put as many rounds into a Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle as any AR, but no one has called for their being banned. In an urban environment, I consider semi-auto pistols more deadly than a semi-auto rifle, because of their conceal-ability.

22 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

That's what the anti-gun argument is, but it's not valid. Magazine capacity has nothing to do with rate-of-fire, which is critical to an assault rifle. Someone could also take out a lot of people with a single-load rifle like a Springfield 1903 or a Schmidt-Reuben K-31 from a long way off. Anyone asking to ban them? 

When you say high-caliber, do you mean caliber, or bullet type? An AR is basically a .22 caliber projectile, unless you get into the realm of the .308 or 7.62 mm NATO, which isn't nearly as plentiful as the .223 or 5.56 mm NATO. As far as capacity goes, I can put as many rounds into a Ruger Mini-14 ranch rifle as any AR, but no one has called for their being banned. In an urban environment, I consider semi-auto pistols more deadly than a semi-auto rifle, because of their conceal-ability.

BS.  Who said it's "critical" for an assault weapon to be automatic?  Like I said, there is no offical designation.  Nor is their anything magical about the term.

No one is suggesting a ban on bolt action rifles because, well, because they are bolt action rifles.  

I said high caliber centerfire to eliminate small caliber rimfires, specifically the Ruger 10/22.  But you are right. I misspoke.  I  meant to say high "power".  The 5.56 is both centerfire and high power.  It is not - as you point out - high caliber.

The mini 14 was designed as a military rifle. It's functionally equivalent to so called "assault" rifles.  :-\

Don't patronize me.  Just assume I know as much about firearms and ballistics as you do, which is probably true at any rate.  My personal rifle is a scoped BAR in 270 Winchester.

The military considers it critical, for suppressive fire.

I don't consider a .223 as high-caliber. It is high-power, but not caliber. .45, 338 blackout, .50 BMG. Words have meanings. Hunters and shooters aren't the same.

7 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

I don't consider a .223 as high-caliber. It is high-power, but not caliber. .45, 338 blackout, .50 BMG. Words have meanings. Hunters and shooters aren't the same.

I misspoke.  I meant to say high power.  If you would slow down a little, you would know that. 

Yeah, "shooters" really need those high capacity, detachable magazines. :-\

But not for any practical reasons just psychological ones.

10 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

Exactly, pretty much the same reason military rifles feature high capacity detachable magazine.s

What's your idea of high-capacity? 11+, 20, 30, 50? By rule,, high-power rifles must use a 20-round magazine.

But that's not the point. If you're sitting in your house on the border in Texas or Arizona, and a large group of people start beating on your door, how many rounds do you want to be limited to? Or if you are protecting your business from a riot, how many?

I have to leave now. I know where your head is at on this and you know where mine is. I don't think either one is going to change the other's

24 minutes ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

What's your idea of high-capacity? 11+, 20, 30, 50? By rule,, high-power rifles must use a 20-round magazine.

But that's not the point. If you're sitting in your house on the border in Texas or Arizona, and a large group of people start beating on your door, how many rounds do you want to be limited to? Or if you are protecting your business from a riot, how many?

You mean like zombies? 

Or vampires. take your pick. But only with wooden bullets to the heart.:-X

4 hours ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

Defending your property is one thing. Meandering around little league games, restaurants and rallies is something else. Have fun with semantics.

3 hours ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

Or vampires. take your pick. But only with wooden bullets to the heart.:-X

Then you'd better hope thousands of little splinters work as well as a stake. ;D

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

You mean like zombies? 

Them zombies have changed my outlook on assault rifles. And hordes of ammunition. All should be legal. Even for convicts and suspected terrorists and the mentally ill. Shall not be infringed. ?

Archived