John Franklin III leaving Auburn

abw0004

I got an alert that he is transferring.  Anyone have news or an update?  He just had an interview stating he would not do this.  

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“John Franklin came to me expressing his desire for the chance to play more and get closer to home. He has made the decision to play elsewhere this season as a graduate transfer. John has been an outstanding young man during his time here and leaves Auburn with a degree. We wish John nothing but the best and thank him for his time at Auburn.” - Gus Malzahn

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/08/john_franklin_iii_to_trasnfer.html#incart_breaking

Not surprising.  He wants another chance at QB.  I didn't see him getting much playing time at auburn in another position.

Glad he has gotten his degree. Hate to lose that speed, I thought he could help the team in various ways, but didn't see him being a big time WR.

Can't fault him for saying that transferring wasn't what he wanted to do at the time that interview took place. It's probably true. Circumstances change. He gave it his best shot here at two different positions and it appears that it wasn't going to work out. Best of luck to him. 

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Alas

WDE Mr. Franklin, and May the Road Rise to Meet You.

He was not going to play much at all at WR and was asked to do something that he apparently did not want to do in return punts/kicks. I appreciate his time at AU and I hope he does well at FAU (or wherever). 

I really wish we had considered moving him to DB instead of WR. With his speed and agility, he might have been able to break out there.

3 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Speaking of kick returning.. opinions on who you think should (vs. will) return kicks/punts for us this season?

Noah iggy, very fast and agile. Devon Barrett and Stephen Roberts and options along with kerryon 

1 minute ago, djg0017 said:

Speaking of kick returning.. opinions on who you think should (vs. will) return kicks/punts for us this season?

Iggy.

14 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

Me too!!!

@abw0004 how do you get your alerts? 

I have the al.com Auburn Football App (*gasp*).  A lot of their articles make me mad as I can't stand most of their writers, but they do a good job of pushing alerts to my phone on relevant stuff.  Nothing overboard, only things that I would actually want to know right away like if we get a commitment, injury, etc.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Said he wants to play closer to home.  Home is Florida.  Florida Atlantic is what's been rumored.

Kids say things but don't do them all the time. I could see him hooking back up with lashlee. I'm likely wrong though. 

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Noah iggy, very fast and agile. Devon Barrett and Stephen Roberts and options along with kerryon 

I tend to agree with you. IMO Iggy is the best to throw back there. I always worry about Kerryon for durability reasons. I guess I would put Roberts at PR because of experience but don't necessarily think of him as elite there. And of course we've got depth issues to throw a starting safety to return punts. He did admirably last year though.

It's official... no one from Last Chance U lasted at their next school. I get it... he wants to play football and it's not happening at Auburn... at least not to the level he wants. I hope he lands somewhere that needs someone with his skills and doesn't have anyone for him to compete with. Otherwise, he's going to have another disappointing year.

The good news is that he's a smart kid and he already has a degree from one of the best schools in the country.

Seems like a good kid and I'm glad he was able to get a degree for Auburn, but I'm still embarrassed that our coaches thought that he was our saving grace at QB or could even play QB in the SEC for that matter.

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

Seems like a good kid and I'm glad he was able to get a degree for Auburn, but I'm still embarrassed that our coaches thought that he was our saving grace at QB or could even play QB in the SEC for that matter.

Its not the first mistake that this bunch has made in evaluation.

Archived