John Franklin III leaving Auburn

abw0004

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Please refresh our memories.  

It wouldn't be hard to find a post from me talking about how I believed there was more to John's recruitment than just Gus/Rhett wanting him. And it was Saturday that 23 said:

There were many issues at play as to why JF3 was given every opportunity and the coaches would have liked for him too. One was of course he fit the scheme Malzahn wanted to run better but I assure you there were other reasons.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It wouldn't be hard to find a post from me talking about how I believed there was more to John's recruitment than just Gus/Rhett wanting him. And it was Saturday that 23 said:

I read that as referring more to Sean White than to JFIII.

Just now, doverstutts said:

Let me guess.    Do the letters "fsu" have anything to do with it?

I have no idea... I'm not 23, but anything is possible.

Just now, triangletiger said:

I read that as referring more to Sean White than to JFIII.

Really? I mean, I've seen rumors on message boards that Gus has something against Sean, but just like I don't see wanting a runner being enough for them to throw everything at a project player, I don't see a personal vendetta being part of it either. I've always felt that Gus was told he was going to have a dual threat at QB, but I can't verify it.

24 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He may have... you'll probably never see him on the field.

Oh, I don't doubt that he won't see the field. Not unless MSU finds itself in the same QB circumstances that Chip Lindsey did last season at Arizona State where they didn't have an injury bug so much as they had an injury monster at the position.  I was just thinking that he stuck with it when asked to walk on. (And really, out of all the players from that season of Last Chance U, he's the one I'd most want on my team if I were a coach.)

One less person to take up space on the bus for road trips.  Maybe one of the walkons (that actually do something) or a redshirt guy can get to experience a road game or 2 in the conference.  

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

Has anyone EVER played 4 years at 4 DIFFERENT SCHOOLS?

More like has anyone EVER been given 4 chances at 4 DIFFERENT SCHOOLS without playing?

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

Its not the first mistake that this bunch has made in evaluation.

FSU made the same mistake..kid just never evolved he had reached his QB ceiling...no coach could change that.

I hope only the best for him! I always had a soft place in my heart for him and hoped he would work out in some capacity. Not sure why, but he may surprise someone in a smaller conference team! Have to admire anyone who graduates from Auburn University under his circumstances! Albeit his own fault!

38 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Really? I mean, I've seen rumors on message boards that Gus has something against Sean, but just like I don't see wanting a runner being enough for them to throw everything at a project player, I don't see a personal vendetta being part of it either. I've always felt that Gus was told he was going to have a dual threat at QB, but I can't verify it.

Say there is something other than Sean's performance or injuries that has kept him off the field at times in the past or that has pushed Gus to seek another QB. 

Is it something going on with Gus, or is it something going on with Sean? 

As for Gus being told that he had to have a dual threat player, that's a little out there but still well within the realm of possibility, especially at Auburn. Sure. What seems absolutely ludicrous to me is that anyone would have told Gus that it had to be Franklin. Gus Malzahn owns that, 100%. 

Also, don't forget that Gus tried pretty hard in that same recruiting cycle to get Davis Webb- decidedly not a dual threat guy- to come here. To his credit, he also tried to get Eli Jenkins here. To his detriment, he did not try to get Jerod Evans here.

Like the Clemson game last year, Gus made an inexplicably bad decision in recruiting Franklin to play quarterback. It was still a bad decision to continue to try to make him one, but it was a little more explicable if you consider that the obviously better quarterback had some sort of shortcoming(s) imperceptible to the common fan that forced the coach's hand. And I say that as a Sean White apologist. 

I will just say I rather him be back on kick returns than Kerryon!!!!!!!! That is the 1 thing GUS HAS GOT TO CUT OUT!!!!! Kerryon is not a kick off return guy!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for the love of everything that is Auburn Football put someone back there who is good at it! lol........ Good Luck to JF3. Hope he gets a chance to play at FAU. Going to be a good offense there with Deandre Johnson at QB and Lane and Kendall Briles running the offense.

i see some saying it was a wasted scholly, kid came practiced hard, competed. Stayed out of trouble, represented Au well and graduated..which makes him an Auburn man. it just did not work out for him at Qb. in my hindsight opinion he should have come to college at a diff position, his measurables alone would prohibit him from ever being an elite QB at the next level, but his speed and athleticism could have been ideal at the CB spot or 3rd down change of pace back...even Lord Saban had missed on some prospects in his career.  not a big deal IMO...

Early on Sean was just enjoying college a little too much...his leadership was lacking and i think Gus wanted him to show more leadership on and off the field.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Say there is something other than Sean's performance or injuries that has kept him off the field at times in the past or that has pushed Gus to seek another QB. 

Is it something going on with Gus, or is it something going on with Sean? 

As for Gus being told that he had to have a dual threat player, that's a little out there but still well within the realm of possibility, especially at Auburn. Sure. What seems absolutely ludicrous to me is that anyone would have told Gus that it had to be Franklin. Gus Malzahn owns that, 100%. 

Also, don't forget that Gus tried pretty hard in that same recruiting cycle to get Davis Webb- decidedly not a dual threat guy- to come here. To his credit, he also tried to get Eli Jenkins here. To his detriment, he did not try to get Jerod Evans here. Like the Clemson game last year, Gus made an inexplicably bad decision in recruiting Franklin to play quarterback. It was still a bad decision to continue to try to make him one, but it was a little more explicable if you consider that the obviously better quarterback had some sort of shortcoming(s) imperceptible to the common fan that forced the coach's hand. And I say that as a Sean White apologist. 

Once Gus had invested a scholly in JF3 he had to do all he could to help him be successful.   Don't know about Gus and SW but at a minimum, Gus probably worried about not having a back-up when it became apparent that JJ was not going to make it.  

As for blaming Gus because he did not make it, you might as well go all over the conference and blame HCs for the guys they actively recruited, yeah, even begged to come to their school and then had to show them the door.

Gus has his issues but I doubt he has any more flops than ....say Nick....or most other Power 5 coaches.  Especially with QBs you just roll the dice and take your chances.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will just say I rather him be back on kick returns than Kerryon!!!!!!!! That is the 1 thing GUS HAS GOT TO CUT OUT!!!!! Kerryon is not a kick off return guy!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for the love of everything that is Auburn Football put someone back there who is good at it! lol........ Good Luck to JF3. Hope he gets a chance to play at FAU. Going to be a good offense there with Deandre Johnson at QB and Lane and Kendall Briles running the offense.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently.. KJ looks so unnatural back to return kicks. Seems like he always takes an unnecessary step back after catching the ball and hesitates a lot? Maybe just me though.

50 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Rhett offered him and Gus approved.  The reason he was given every opportunity to start has been told to you many times.  Gus did not and does not like SW as his starting QB with the number one reason and the reason at that time JF3 was given so many opportunities was Leadership.  Gus constantly talks about the other factors that he looks for in his QB's.  SW was where he was suppose to be, but very seldom was he the first guy in and the last guy out type of QB.  Franklin, like others( KF, JJ) were always around the complex but unfortunately did not have the ability to be a QB for several different reasons.  If SW worked as hard as them off the field many things would have been different.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Once Gus had invested a scholly in JF3 he had to do all he could to help him be successful.  

Not to the detriment of better players.

Don't know about Gus and SW but at a minimum, Gus probably worried about not having a back-up when it became apparent that JJ was not going to make it.  

Yeah. Adding to that conundrum was the fact that Woody Barrett- another Gus recruit- clearly wasn't the guy. But make no mistake about it... Gus wasn't grooming JFIII to back up Sean. He was trying to give him the job. 

As for blaming Gus because he did not make it, you might as well go all over the conference and blame HCs for the guys they actively recruited, yeah, even begged to come to their school and then had to show them the door.

I don't blame Gus for the fact that JFIII isn't a viable quarterback. I blame Gus for thinking that he could be. As for other HCs who have misevaluated QBs, they at least shared that missed eval with other HCs. Gus was the only P5 coach in the country who thought Franklin could play QB after he'd flamed out at FSU and JUCO.

Gus has his issues but I doubt he has any more flops than ....say Nick....or most other Power 5 coaches.  Especially with QBs you just roll the dice and take your chances.

nick saban has fielded a serviceable QB every season he's been at bama. In fact, I think he's only had 1 starter who never got an NFL paycheck. And those are just the ones we've seen play. Who knows what his backup situation has been like, but if it's like every other position he's recruited other than kicker, he probably had more talent on the bench than most teams have running with the 1s. 

8 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

I've been thinking about this a lot recently.. KJ looks so unnatural back to return kicks. Seems like he always takes an unnecessary step back after catching the ball and hesitates a lot? Maybe just me though.

He honestly just looks so slow to me when he return kicks. Unnatural honestly.

Archived