John Franklin III leaving Auburn

abw0004

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

It wouldn't be hard to find a post from me talking about how I believed there was more to John's recruitment than just Gus/Rhett wanting him. And it was Saturday that 23 said:

This might be one of the biggest leaps of speculation I have ever seen on a thread lol

what the heck?

and where is 23 at? You just got pulled into the mix bahaha

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Say there is something other than Sean's performance or injuries that has kept him off the field at times in the past or that has pushed Gus to seek another QB. 

Is it something going on with Gus, or is it something going on with Sean? 

As for Gus being told that he had to have a dual threat player, that's a little out there but still well within the realm of possibility, especially at Auburn. Sure. What seems absolutely ludicrous to me is that anyone would have told Gus that it had to be Franklin. Gus Malzahn owns that, 100%. 

Also, don't forget that Gus tried pretty hard in that same recruiting cycle to get Davis Webb- decidedly not a dual threat guy- to come here. To his credit, he also tried to get Eli Jenkins here. To his detriment, he did not try to get Jerod Evans here.

Like the Clemson game last year, Gus made an inexplicably bad decision in recruiting Franklin to play quarterback. It was still a bad decision to continue to try to make him one, but it was a little more explicable if you consider that the obviously better quarterback had some sort of shortcoming(s) imperceptible to the common fan that forced the coach's hand. And I say that as a Sean White apologist. 

I would never understand the desire to not get Jerod Evans. That right there really made me question  Gus's ability to evaluate a QB. Thank god for Chip Lindsey .

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Momma always said," If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

images.jpg

4WcQ5T.gif

Really don't know why people can't just be civil with one another without attempting to throw shade. Heck we're all AU fans here. Good posters attempting to throw shade on other good posters, it's just ridiculous. Just post and have legit debates without throwing shade. Jesus

1 hour ago, DAG said:

This might be one of the biggest leaps of speculation I have ever seen on a thread lol

what the heck?

and where is 23 at? You just got pulled into the mix bahaha

Yep, lionheart are FOS on this.

wde

1 hour ago, DAG said:

would never understand the desire to not get Jerod Evans. That right there really made me question  Gus's ability to evaluate a QB. Thank god for Chip Lindsey .

Let's see....Va Tech beat out Central Florida and Missouri for this guy......and why did he "turn down" all schools in Texas or LSU who could have used a QB like him but sounds like Fuentes had an inside link to him before he came to Va Tech.   Does not sound like AU did not want him....and just because you want a prospect does not mean you get him.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/virginia_tech/juco-coach-on-hokies-qb-commit-jerod-evans-everybody-knew/article_e1119d2c-a287-11e5-b5b9-5bc1ac1bd217.html

Maybe you have info somewhere about AU coming down to JF3 or JE and then making the wrong decision...but don't think I've seen anything to that effect.

And of course right to the bitter end there were people on this board who were convinced that JF3 would be a 2 year starter.....one of them an insider no less and then some of us got ripped regularly for questioning him right from the start. ....and even more after the A-Day game. 

Guy was not an SEC QB ....too bad...but neither was JJ and about a dozen other guys who signed with conference schools at the same time.   Tough life trying to evaluate QBs....

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Let's see....Va Tech beat out Central Florida and Missouri for this guy......and why did he "turn down" all schools in Texas or LSU who could have used a QB like him but sounds like Fuentes had an inside link to him before he came to Va Tech.   Does not sound like AU did not want him....and just because you want a prospect does not mean you get him.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/virginia_tech/juco-coach-on-hokies-qb-commit-jerod-evans-everybody-knew/article_e1119d2c-a287-11e5-b5b9-5bc1ac1bd217.html

Maybe you have info somewhere about AU coming down to JF3 or JE and then making the wrong decision...but don't think I've seen anything to that effect.

And of course right to the bitter end there were people on this board who were convinced that JF3 would be a 2 year starter.....one of them an insider no less and then some of us got ripped regularly for questioning him right from the start. ....and even more after the A-Day game. 

Guy was not an SEC QB ....too bad...but neither was JJ and about a dozen other guys who signed with conference schools at the same time.   Tough life trying to evaluate QBs....

Lol, nobody was even able to see what jf3 could do but that could be because he didn't show anything in practice. When JJ was able to play suck teams he did ok too....unfortunately he drew the star playing those strong defense teams....

This may be harsh but I said it and now I feel even better about our wr's. I said that if jf3 can come in and earn playing time in our wr rotation we weren't very good. He wanted playing time, wasn't any to go around with us and I'm happy about that. Now two years ago he probably would've gotten playing time. Testament to that recruiting class....we have upped our talent level since then.

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This may be harsh but I said it and now I feel even better about our wr's. I said that if jf3 can come in and earn playing time in our wr rotation we weren't very good. He wanted playing time, wasn't any to go around with us and I'm happy about that. Now two years ago he probably would've gotten playing time. Testament to that recruiting class....we have upped our talent level since then.

I do think we could have used him as a weapon. Some WR screens or bubble screens or speed sweeps and let him use his speed to break it. But you use him maybe five or six times at most during a game. He would be a weapon you hope to hit a big play on. No way he was going to be a starter or see significant playing time. Not with the other weapons we will have at WR. Even so, Ryan Davis, Iggy could also serve that role. I hope we air it out this fall though. It would help the running game and help us put up points. 

3 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

corchjay, 

I have been on AU message boards since the late 90's.  I have seen tons of "insiders" come and go and my give a damn about their feelings as what I think of their "insiderness" has been long gone.  23 just plain missed on his inside info on JFIII when it was pretty obvious to anyone watching a heavily edited reality show on Netflix that JFIII should have never been offered at a scholly at AU for any position, much less as a possible starting QB.  The fact that 23 doubled down on his opinion that JFIII was the best QB on the team last season after fall practice, just further demonstrated how "deeply involved" insiders can be totally wrong.

wde

You are piece of work dude! You are the one "hitched" to the wrong insider. Throw one under the bus, but come to the rescue of another. Take one for the team by posting less and exercising reading comprehension. Smh. 

wde

We comin' !

11 minutes ago, TigerTy said:

You are piece of work dude! You are the one "hitched" to the wrong insider. Throw one under the bus, but come to the rescue of another. Take one for the team by posting less and exercising reading comprehension. Smh. 

wde

We comin' !

Hey "dude".  Obviously, your reading comprehension skills were taught at a less than average middle school.  I am not attached to any "insider" and will give praise and criticism to any and all that I feel deserve it at the time.  Right or wrong.

Who is the wrong insider that yout dumb ass thinks I have hitched my wagon too?

wde.  

4 hours ago, keesler said:

You like to allude to, then speculate and have no idea.:dead:

I like to analyze situations and am not prone to believing the oft popular opinions that X happened because Y is an idiot, even though Y has historically shown that not to be the case. Had 23, who is connected and does know what up not said there is much more to the story, I would not have brought it up.

As it seems that my thought seem to annoy you so much, you are welcome to ignore me. I enjoy our conversations, when they are that and not you just stating your disapproval, but I'd hate to trade that bit of enjoyment for your emotional well being.

Lol. I'm actually surprised at this thread though, I figured it would be worse than this. Man I was wrong.

6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Hey "dude".  Obviously, your reading comprehension skills were taught at a less than average middle school.  I am not attached to any "insider" and will give praise and criticism to any and all that I feel deserve it at the time.  Right or wrong.

Who is the wrong insider that yout dumb ass thinks I have hitched my wagon too?

wde.  

Such language! Sorry I don't throw family under the bus....call them on the carpet, sure.  Take your shtick to the rant!

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

It wouldn't be hard to find a post from me talking about how I believed there was more to John's recruitment than just Gus/Rhett wanting him. And it was Saturday that 23 said:

Maybe he was a friend of the family...??

6 minutes ago, TigerTy said:

Such language! Sorry I don't throw family under the bus....call them on the carpet, sure.  Take your shtick to the rant!

LOL, who is family and what is the difference between calling on the carpet and throwing under the bus? 

wde

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Was told that JF3 could hit as well as he could take a hit.  CB was not gonna work out.  Also speed at CB takes different levels than just being fast, but @bigbird and @corchjay can explain that way better than I.

Being quick and fast two different things. You really don't have to be super fast to be a corner. The faster you are really just helps you be able to cover mistakes. You don't have to be physical to play corner either. Well in most schemes. If Franklin had good instincts and could cover nobody would say we don't want you because you can't hit.....

I just don't understand the point of constantly bringing up what 23 said.....is it because he ignores it? 

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Say there is something other than Sean's performance or injuries that has kept him off the field at times in the past or that has pushed Gus to seek another QB. 

Is it something going on with Gus, or is it something going on with Sean? 

As for Gus being told that he had to have a dual threat player, that's a little out there but still well within the realm of possibility, especially at Auburn. Sure. What seems absolutely ludicrous to me is that anyone would have told Gus that it had to be Franklin. Gus Malzahn owns that, 100%. 

Also, don't forget that Gus tried pretty hard in that same recruiting cycle to get Davis Webb- decidedly not a dual threat guy- to come here. To his credit, he also tried to get Eli Jenkins here. To his detriment, he did not try to get Jerod Evans here.

Like the Clemson game last year, Gus made an inexplicably bad decision in recruiting Franklin to play quarterback. It was still a bad decision to continue to try to make him one, but it was a little more explicable if you consider that the obviously better quarterback had some sort of shortcoming(s) imperceptible to the common fan that forced the coach's hand. And I say that as a Sean White apologist. 

First to address Franklin... yes recruiting him at QB was a bad move, Ive said this many times, and Gus has to own that, but I have no idea what motivated it. If you watch Last Chance U, we didn't get on the Franklin bandwagon late in the recruiting process. He was talking about Auburn expressing interest in him from early on in the season... about the same time that the coaches at JuCo were expecting him to be the next big thing. He must have had some phenomenal film... or maybe everyone thought if Jimbo wanted him, he must be great. In any case, part of why we chose him over some others may have been because we had an established relationship. It's certainly more than the "Rhett saw him have one good game and offerded" that people like to throw around. I do think, once we had him, Gus felt pressure to make it work.

As for Webb, there was never anything outside of message board fodder about Webb and Auburn, at least from Webb. We didn't even get a visit. Similar case with Jenkins. I think sometimes we fans want a guy, so we project effort on our coaching staff that may or may not be there.

As to the whole Sean/Gus thing, I've read all kinds of speculation about their relationship but the large majority of that doesn't play out in what we actually see. For instance, people say Sean isn't a leader, yet the team follows him and plays better with him on the field. I think you have actually mentioned this in the past.

I really believe that the PTB were weighing in and decided we needed Marshall 2.0 and made it clear that it better happen... until it was an obvious failure. I also think if it weren't for the LSU win, the Arkansas inhalation, and the Ole Miss win, Gus wouldn't be our coach this year. I could be wrong, but it fits how thing work in our football program.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

You do want someone who can take a lick and hold onto the ball.  

Worse thing I can imagine on a football field is to turn a ball over on a kick-off.....or maybe a punt return.    Those are not jobs for just anyone in my view.

You can't play scared in football.  Kick return is simple.  You put your best options back there who have ball security and most importantly can take it to the house. There are 117 teams that can put a guy out there who can safely get it out to the 20.  That is playing "not to lose".  I get tired of watching the best and fastest athletes sit on the bench when a slower RB who has leg injury problems returns kick offs.  It's maddening.  Kam Martin was not recruited to be the feature back.  He was recruited for his speed and athleticism to make plays and take it the distance.  Put me some game changers back there and quit being scared.

1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

I do think we could have used him as a weapon. Some WR screens or bubble screens or speed sweeps and let him use his speed to break it. But you use him maybe five or six times at most during a game. He would be a weapon you hope to hit a big play on. 

I have felt in recent years we have been overly guilty of telegraphing our intentions based on our personnel packages. JF3 on the field in 2017 would do that.

Boy did he make the best out of that half game he played in garbage time. This kid rode a lucky break to an Auburn degree and national exposure 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

What the heck are you talking about? He only had offers from three Power 5 schools VT, Mizzou, and Cali. He went for a visit to Mizzou for crying out loud. You seriously think if AU had any interest in him, he would have at least come for a visit? Use critical thinking skills man, instead of straw man arguments. It's like the lottery, if you don't play it you can never win it. AU showed him no interest, so how the heck was they going to get him? I don't have to be an insider to know this, especially when last summer AU was shopping like crazy for QBs. Eli Jenkins, David Webb, and JF3. Do you really think if we were evaluating him that wouldn't have gotten out? Yes, the coach from V.tech was recruiting him out of Memphis. This helped V.Tech pull him in, but you have seriously fallen and bumped your head if you think He would have chosen V.Tech over AU if we would've offered. It would have been Malik Willis all over again.

I know you love all things Gus, but it is okay to say Gus is a sub par QB coach and a great offensive mind. If that was the case, we would never have bought CCL in. PERIOD. I am not saying you have to have a 100 percent rating in successful QBs, but when you have a trend that is an issue. My problem with CGM is he started to fall in love with the athlete. I would much rather you recruit a lower ranked DT-QB (Willis) than an athlete ( the exception being made to the 5 stars). He got burnt last year doing that with the kid from Georgia, who ultimately decided to play safety. I know your schtick. All great coaches fail at evaluating QBs. I am not arguing that. Jimbo failed at evaluating JF3. Yet how many of them give up their QB duties?  I have never seen Petrino, Jimbo or Spurrier GIVE UP qb duties. You let me know when that happens.

How many times are you going to say this? 23 was wrong in his assessment. You have been plenty of wrong on these threads. PLENTY. So, you got ripped? How many of us got ripped for SW when we saw the inevitable? And btw, you were on the other side of that coin. Not to mention, you WILL be wrong again in your assessment when it comes to JS. It happens. The problem with JF3 was this staff was too freaking bull headed. JF3 wasn't going to play QB at FSU. So no in the ACC.  He was just getting his feet wet at the JUCO level. He couldn't do it at AU. He probably won't play QB at FAU. Chances are he won't be a QB. This staff got so enamored with the idea of another NM (who btw was an anomaly), they lost their wits. You can roll the dice once, maybe twice, but that is a dangerous way to live. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.

2 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

I have felt in recent years we have been overly guilty of telegraphing our intentions based on our personnel packages. JF3 on the field in 2017 would do that.

2 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

You hit the nail on the head

Archived