John Franklin III leaving Auburn

abw0004

14 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

corchjay, 

I have been on AU message boards since the late 90's.  I have seen tons of "insiders" come and go and my give a damn about their feelings as what I think of their "insiderness" has been long gone.  23 just plain missed on his inside info on JFIII when it was pretty obvious to anyone watching a heavily edited reality show on Netflix that JFIII should have never been offered at a scholly at AU for any position, much less as a possible starting QB.  The fact that 23 doubled down on his opinion that JFIII was the best QB on the team last season after fall practice, just further demonstrated how "deeply involved" insiders can be totally wrong.

wde

I think you are a bit harsh on 23. From what I remember, he did not 'miss'. He was pretty consistent in saying that JF3 was being given every chance to win the QB job, and that Gus seemed to want him to win it due to his running ability. I imagine this was true because Gus was hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again a la NM. It didn't work out. Move on. 

I wish JF3 all the best. Seems like a good kid since he came to AU, and I'm proud of him for getting his degree.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

I have felt in recent years we have been overly guilty of telegraphing our intentions based on our personnel packages. JF3 on the field in 2017 would do that.

If, and I have to stress if, he could reliably catch the ball he would have been a formidable weapon, because no matter what the play, the D would be forced to keep a man on him to keep him from burning everyone over the top, thus removing that defender from the play. Unfortunately, word was that he was unreliable in that regard, so it was a moot point.

1 hour ago, autig90 said:

I think you are a bit harsh on 23. From what I remember, he did not 'miss'. He was pretty consistent in saying that JF3 was being given every chance to win the QB job, and that Gus seemed to want him to win it due to his running ability. I imagine this was true because Gus was hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again a la NM.

Exactly.  It's not like Franklin didn't have skills. We all saw his ability with the long ball last year, and his ability to burn up the field in the read option. What likely wasn't seen in practice (thanks to protecting the QB) was that he didn't protect the ball in traffic.  Had that not have been an issue, we might have seen more of Marshall 2.0 last year. Had he been solid at protecting the football, we could have probably done well with a read option package that included a few long balls to keep the D honest.

I would not be surprised at all to hear that he lands on lower level team in need of a QB and puts up some crazy numbers against similar level opponents.

I don't know why everyone is attacking each other on here.  We are all on the same team, and it is not why I created this thread.  If the moderators don't stop some of this I will have to delete my thread.  I do not want to be a source for people to direct insults and hate at one another.

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

Being quick and fast two different things. You really don't have to be super fast to be a corner. The faster you are really just helps you be able to cover mistakes. You don't have to be physical to play corner either. Well in most schemes. If Franklin had good instincts and could cover nobody would say we don't want you because you can't hit.....

Exactly. Straight line speed is good once you've gotten beat and have to recover. Quick hips, feet, and hands are more valued to me than elite straightline speed. With quickness you are able to stay in phase much longer and stay on the receiver's hip much closer.

42 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't know why everyone is attacking each other on here.  We are all on the same team, and it is not why I created this thread.  If the moderators don't stop some of this I will have to delete my thread.  I do not want to be a source for people to direct insults and hate at one another.

You could create a thread about rainbows and puppy dogs and some people around here would find a way to throw some hate around on it. It's just the way some people are.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I blame @lionheartkc. What a jerkwad. Always getting all bent out of shape and calling names. It wouldn't surprise me if he kicks puppies if I'm being totally honest with you. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I blame @lionheartkc. What a jerkwad. Always getting all bent out of shape and calling names. It wouldn't surprise me if he kicks puppies if I'm being totally honest with you. 

*sigh*... I know... I totally need to get some professional help. 

4 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

You could create a thread about rainbows and puppy dogs and some people around here would find a way to throw some hate around on it. It's just the way some people are.

This is my reaction when I read the posts from those people:

23 hours ago, WFE12 said:

"Former "Last Chance U" star..." 

Kind of a crappy way to put it, and I'd hate for John to be remembered that way. I hope he lights it up at FAU. 

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Exactly.  It's not like Franklin didn't have skills. We all saw his ability with the long ball last year, and his ability to burn up the field in the read option. What likely wasn't seen in practice (thanks to protecting the QB) was that he didn't protect the ball in traffic.  Had that not have been an issue, we might have seen more of Marshall 2.0 last year. Had he been solid at protecting the football, we could have probably done well with a read option package that included a few long balls to keep the D honest.

I would not be surprised at all to hear that he lands on lower level team in need of a QB and puts up some crazy numbers against similar level opponents.

Franklin will not be playing QB at FAU. They have a legit stud at QB who is only there due to a past aggression

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Franklin will not be playing QB at FAU. They have a legit stud at QB who is only there due to a past aggression

This is absolutely correct!  JFIII will be a WR\KR\PR or something of that nature.  Or maybe 2nd QB.  The kids at QB is a baller and made a big mistake years ago that landed him there.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Is he for certain going to FAU? I thought that was just people joking around because of Kiffin.

Guess it would help if I read the post above yours, huh?

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Is he for certain going to FAU? I thought that was just people joking around because of Kiffin.

I don't know if this suppose to be yellow font or not but he is going to FAU. They already have a QB who originally signed to FSU...

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I don't know if this suppose to be yellow font or not but he is going to FAU. They already have a QB who originally signed to FSU...

No yellow font.  I was just in meetings when the post about his destination made it to this thread, so I had to catch up.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think that information might lead someone to believe that he wouldn't actually be going to FAU. 

14 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

This is absolutely correct!  JFIII will be a WR\KR\PR or something of that nature.  Or maybe 2nd QB.  The kids at QB is a baller and made a big mistake years ago that landed him there.

De'Andre Johnson.  He's the guy who was raked over the coals in the media for punching the girl in the Tallahassee bar.  I'd say he's learned his lesson. 

Just now, triangletiger said:

De'Andre Johnson.  He's the guy who was raked over the coals in the media for punching the girl in the Tallahassee bar.  I'd say he's learned his lesson. 

Seemed like in LCU-2.  Kid seemed legit talent and sincerely regretful for the situation he put himself in and what he did.  Of course that could all just be editing as well.  Who knows.  While I never hit a girl (or woman), I would hate to be judged for the rest of my days based on something that I did at 17\18 years old 

21 hours ago, cole256 said:

This may be harsh but I said it and now I feel even better about our wr's. I said that if jf3 can come in and earn playing time in our wr rotation we weren't very good. He wanted playing time, wasn't any to go around with us and I'm happy about that. Now two years ago he probably would've gotten playing time. Testament to that recruiting class....we have upped our talent level since then.

yes you did

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I think that information might lead someone to believe that he wouldn't actually be going to FAU. 

I don't think JF3 expects to play QB, more so, he wants a chance to show what he can do on the offensive end of the ball, including WR/Returner. Plus, he will be closer to home. 

6 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

Seemed like in LCU-2.  Kid seemed legit talent and sincerely regretful for the situation he put himself in and what he did.  Of course that could all just be editing as well.  Who knows.  While I never hit a girl (or woman), I would hate to be judged for the rest of my days based on something that I did at 17\18 years old 

Especially when the woman started hitting you first

• 2 weeks later...

Archived