Sign in to follow this  
JwgreDeux

Tour of Italy

Thanks for the breakdown and I am pumped now!

I know we are a work in progress and also we will most likely struggle rebounding and on defense but if we can play together (16 assists on 19 FGs makes my eyes mist up a little bit) I like where our program is headed.

Not saying I think we will see huge things this year, I know the level competition wasn't great, and I think we will probably still be a year away (trajectory wise - who knows realistically if we can stay on that plan with possible early draft entries -- it wouldn't surprise me if Heron, Wiley, and Purifoy all leave) but I hope we are able to see a big leap from our young fellas.

Its hard for me to take anything away from the lineups considering the team just started practicing again, had to travel a lot and play 4 games in a somewhat tournament style. But I was interested in some of the lineups we used without Wiley. The smallball lineup we started against the Italy Allstars with Harper/Brown/Heron/Purifoy/Okeke, for example, would be fun to watch if they could hold their own on defense.

Okeke does seem like the real deal based on the stats we've seen. 20 rebounds in a single game is ridiculous, no matter who you're playing. 

I wish we could have gotten full stat sheets or something but this trip still looked "promising" even without playing top teams. Bryce shooting good, second half starts like you said, more assists/passing than we saw last year, etc. 

Thanks for the post and insight 

Level of competition affected things but it seemed they played solid D based =on steals and did well on the boards. Seemed like multiple people had good games on the boards especially Okeke and McLemore.  As our biggest player I was hoping to see more of Spencer on the boards but since he is recovering from an injury I would bet they didn't play him as much. Brown has always had a pretty stroke he seemed to start slow last year than come on later in the season. Having him hot early is great news.

Basically everything is positive. The team will be better this year because of the large number of starters who are returning and the improvement you can usually expect from players in their 2nd and 3rd years add a couple of talented new people and we will have a very solid team.   I can't wait to see some of the early games so we can get a feel if this will be a solid team or a very good team.

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Level of competition affected things but it seemed they played solid D based =on steals and did well on the boards. Seemed like multiple people had good games on the boards especially Okeke and McLemore.  As our biggest player I was hoping to see more of Spencer on the boards but since he is recovering from an injury I would bet they didn't play him as much. Brown has always had a pretty stroke he seemed to start slow last year than come on later in the season. Having him hot early is great news.

Basically everything is positive. The team will be better this year because of the large number of starters who are returning and the improvement you can usually expect from players in their 2nd and 3rd years add a couple of talented new people and we will have a very solid team.   I can't wait to see some of the early games so we can get a feel if this will be a solid team or a very good team.

Apparently Harper muscled spencer out for the boards in the first game!

Spencer was noticeably absent from the stat lines compared to McLemore and Okeke. Once Wiley is back I wonder how much opportunity Spencer will have this season. 

Edited by JwgreDeux

He will have ample opportunity, and not necessarily at the 5.  This team will be able to play more like BP wants to play, for the first time since he has been here

I'm just saying that with the addition of Okeke, Murray as forwards and Dunbar as a guard/forward the roster is getting deep quick. Add to that Purifoy possibly still playing some stretch forward and that is a lot of competition for Spencer. I love Spencer's energy, and he seems like a good young man. However, with his limited offensive game and the addition of guys who can defend, rebound and score, I wonder if he is in for a season of less opportunity. Looking at the stats from this trip just made me wonder about it. Hopefully, CBP gets to rotate a lot of guys on the floor and Spencer has a great year. 

• Like 1

Clemson team in Spain during a "terrorist" type attack today....cancelled one game and heading home.   

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Clemson team in Spain during a "terrorist" type attack today....cancelled one game and heading home.   

Damn don't blame them

On 8/16/2017 at 10:37 AM, JwgreDeux said:

I'm just saying that with the addition of Okeke, Murray as forwards and Dunbar as a guard/forward the roster is getting deep quick. Add to that Purifoy possibly still playing some stretch forward and that is a lot of competition for Spencer. I love Spencer's energy, and he seems like a good young man. However, with his limited offensive game and the addition of guys who can defend, rebound and score, I wonder if he is in for a season of less opportunity. Looking at the stats from this trip just made me wonder about it. Hopefully, CBP gets to rotate a lot of guys on the floor and Spencer has a great year. 

Auburn's Bruce Pearl said, after taking team to Italy, this team is deep enough to play two groups of five this season.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
Pearl said that Auburn wasn't tough enough last year. Believes Tigers older and added four new guys who all bring toughness to team.

Pearl making it clear he expects this team to make NCAA tourney. "This is our year. Our expectation needs to be to compete for SEC title."

Pearl also told me it will be first time at Auburn that he can play way he wants. "Press 94 feet and play fast -- like we did at Tennessee."

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN·

Edited by aujeff11
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Charhair said:

to add on to jeff's post: 

How did you embed the tweets? Still trying to figure the site out.

11 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

How did you embed the tweets? Still trying to figure the site out.

I usually use this site on mobile but i go to the tweet I want to embed and hit the drop arrow that gives you choices like "share tweet via, add to moment, unfollow, mute" etc and click "share tweet via" and "copy link to tweet" and then I paste it here. 

• Like 1

Excited to hear Pearl talk about the team. Sounds like we are starting to get to where we need to be from a roster standpoint. I thought we were close to being there last year but i guess we were missing a few pieces. I know a lot of folks were questioning it when we brought in Murray but goes to show some of the most important traits in sports can't be measured. He may just bring that edge this team needs to fight through the cold spells when things aren't going our way. 

Some interesting comments above about Spencer and how much playing time he'll get this coming up season. It would be quite the testament to Pearl if he had improved the roster so much that Spencer doesn't have to be one of our main contributors down low. I think he has the athleticism and talent to really be a next level player but there are areas of his game that he has to improve to get there. 

But overall a lot more versatility with this team and that should really help Pearl be more fluid with his lineups which will make it harder for other teams to defend us. Can't wait to see these guys play! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gravejd said:

... goes to show some of the most important traits in sports can't be measured. He may just bring that edge this team needs to fight through the cold spells when things aren't going our way. 

that was one of the primary traits that chris porter brought to Auburn.  His tenacity was beyond anyone's on the court.  i was at the game against LSU ... we were 17-0 and he was suspended for the first half.  he came in the second half and the auburn team energy was noticably higher.  if anyone recalls, this was the game that he did a put back jam that was absolutely ridiculous and on espn for a while.

• Like 1

On Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at 3:07 PM, mustache eagle said:

that was one of the primary traits that chris porter brought to Auburn.  His tenacity was beyond anyone's on the court.  i was at the game against LSU ... we were 17-0 and he was suspended for the first half.  he came in the second half and the auburn team energy was noticably higher.  if anyone recalls, this was the game that he did a put back jam that was absolutely ridiculous and on espn for a while.

I will never forget that dunk from his ankles. 

• Like 1

Okeke best position will be at SF for us defensively. I'll bring it back up in the middle of the season

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Okeke best position will be at SF for us defensively. I'll bring it back up in the middle of the season

this is exactly the type guy we need and have been missing.      He has an ass that is 2 ax handles wide.     Pretty athletic to go with that.   I can hardly wait because I think that this bunch is going to be pretty good, and I was encouraged by the video and stats from the point guard position, from the tour, which was the weak link last year.