Doug Jones

alexava

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, alexava said:

AP called victory. No run off. Is it possible? I was one of the few Alabamans to actually vote today. 

Bet the vote tally sounds like a close baseball game Alex

There was about 136K voting in the Dem Primary.

Moore has about 149K and Strange has about 123K at the moment.

I read Doug Jones website...He is a good man, but he doesnt sound exciting at all...

The Democrats in Alabama are living in a fantasy land.  A fervently pro-choice, socially liberal slate of candidates is just a signal that they're mailing it in.  Jones will lucky to top 33% of the vote in November, not matter who wins the GOP runoff.

Incidentally, I did not vote for either Moore or Strange so I really don't have a dog in this fight.

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Incidentally, I did not vote for either Moore or Strange so I really don't have a dog in this fight.

As long as Worley and Reed run the ADP, there wont be any organized opposition. But, when one party can nominate and not even have an opponent to run against, well, that is not going to end well for anyone.

18 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

There was about 136K voting in the Dem Primary.

Moore has about 149K and Strange has about 123K at the moment.

I read Doug Jones website...He is a good man, but he doesnt sound exciting at all...

I think that's just what Alabama needs.    ;)

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

If Doug was running on the Republican ticket, no question, he would have my vote.  I can't vote Democrat.

If he would have your vote as a Republican, then why not otherwise?  This is a classic example of putting party over the best person for the job.

2 hours ago, around4ever said:

If Doug was running on the Republican ticket, no question, he would have my vote.  I can't vote Democrat.

Do you know Doug?

14 hours ago, around4ever said:

If Doug were running as a Republican, but held the exact same views he does now, I wouldn't vote for him.

The state Democratic party here is delusional.  They keep putting up candidates that are in-line with the national party on social issues in a state where that is basically an automatic loser.  Doug Jones may be a nice man and competent.  But he doesn't reflect the vast majority of Alabamamians' views on such things.  That might make the handful of Dem diehards happy, but in terms of ever making a dent in the political landscape or having a prayer in a statewide election, it's like pissing in the wind.

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

If Doug were running as a Republican, but held the exact same views he does now, I wouldn't vote for him.

The state Democratic party here is delusional.  They keep putting up candidates that are in-line with the national party on social issues in a state where that is basically an automatic loser.  Doug Jones may be a nice man and competent.  But he doesn't reflect the vast majority of Alabamamians' views on such things.  That might make the handful of Dem diehards happy, but in terms of ever making a dent in the political landscape or having a prayer in a statewide election, it's like pissing in the wind.

I agree it's an automatic loser. Only because not enough people vote and the ones that do are misled into voting against their own interests.

15 minutes ago, alexava said:

I agree it's an automatic loser. Only because not enough people vote and the ones that do are misled into voting against their own interests.

Economic interests.  But there's a solution to that...give those voters an option where they can vote in their economic interests without asking them to utterly abandon their social and moral convictions.

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Economic interests.  But there's a solution to that...give those voters an option where they can vote in their economic interests without asking them to utterly abandon their social and moral convictions.

I see you going to abortion again......

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I see you going to abortion again......

Ok, let's flip it.  

If you had a choice between a candidate who advocated social views you find abhorrent, but his or her economic policies were far more beneficial to you, would it be an easy choice for you to pull the lever for them?  Or would you feel like a sellout for ditching your convictions for economic gain?

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Ok, let's flip it.  

If you had a choice between a candidate who advocated social views you find abhorrent, but his or her economic policies were far more beneficial to you, would it be an easy choice for you to pull the lever for them?

maybe, can you be more specific?

Just now, alexava said:

maybe, can you be more specific?

I don't have to be specific.  I wasn't specific the other way either.

Just think of some social views that you could not in good conscience support.  I'm not talking about extreme stuff like voting for a KKK Grand Dragon.  Just things that you consider very important.  Whatever it is.  Can you imagine supporting a candidate whose economic policies might not be as beneficial to your interests to avoid supporting someone whose social views you cannot go along with?

I know you are a truly moral person. But i don't think you realize a very large number of republicans don't give two rips about abortion. They use it as a tool to manipulate you. you fall for it.

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I know you are a truly moral person. But i don't think you realize a very large number of republicans don't give two rips about abortion. They use it as a tool to manipulate you. you fall for it.

Going with the idea that this is only about abortion, I'm not stupid.  I know that some use it in that way.  The problem is, what do the Democrats offer me as an alternative?

Also, you didn't answer the question.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I'm not stupid.  I know that some use it in that way.  The problem is, what do the Democrats offer me as an alternative?

Uh..... The honesty that abortion was decided decades ago and should be left alone, ignored, but not encouraged or honored. And economic and social progress that gives the common folk a fighting chance through wages, healthcare, education, opportunities.... Too much time and energy is wasted on abortion, something no one on earth should know about but a woman and her DR. It's simply no one else's business. It affects no one.

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Ok, let's flip it.  

If you had a choice between a candidate who advocated social views you find abhorrent, but his or her economic policies were far more beneficial to you, would it be an easy choice for you to pull the lever for them?  Or would you feel like a sellout for ditching your convictions for economic gain?

I find it abhorrent that people try to force women into healthcare decisions or limit options. 

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

Uh..... The honesty that abortion was decided decades ago and should be left alone, ignored, but not encouraged or honored.

That's only honest to you.  And at various times in our history we've thought many things were settled, until they weren't.  Plessy v. Ferguson was the settled law of the land for almost 60 years until views changed and we better recognized the full humanity of black people.  There's nothing to say that eventually we won't wake up to the idea that human dignity extends to the preborn as well.

And economic and social progress that gives the common folk a fighting chance through wages, healthcare, education, opportunities.... Too much time and energy is wasted on abortion, something no one on earth should know about but a woman and her DR. It's simply no one else's business. It affects no one.

Again, abortion isn't the only issue and it does affect someone other than the mother.  But I'm not going to get this sidetracked onto an abortion debate.

1 minute ago, alexava said:

I find it abhorrent that people try to force women into healthcare decisions or limit options. 

Ok.  So would you vote for a candidate whose economic views you considered to be more beneficial to your interests that held such views over one whose economic policies were noticeably less beneficial but whose views on the above issue were more in line with yours?  Would you find such a choice difficult to make?

Doesn't matter if it is Strange or  Moore as the Republican candidate, Jones will be toast in December.

Archived