Charlottesville: Race and Terror – VICE News

AUDub

6 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

No one's interested after last week. 

Apparently the Alt left still felt threatened.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So, somone crashes your loved one's funeral, pisses on on the casket to make a "statement" and I hold the moral high ground simply because you hit me?

And you suggest I am the one drinking???   

I am starting to understand your problem.  

You don't understand what is really meant by "moral highground".  It's not something that is determined or negated by an understandible violent response, if one that is technically illegal. 

In that situation, it very well might be legal to fight. The fighting words doctrine, while narrow, covers face-to-face insults that would provoke an immediate violent reaction from a reasonable person. Pissing on the grave at the funeral of a loved one meets the criteria.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Then why are you afraid of them.  :dunno:

It's stupid. Since time immemorial, free speech arguments have been based upon hypotheticals, or slippery slopes, if we're dismissing them. Thing is, we've now hit the bottom of the slope. Literal Nazis marched the streets of an American city, calling out Jews and blacks and gays, wielding everything from torches to clubs and shields to rifles, offering Nazi slogans and Nazi salutes. Some of them attacked people. A counter protester was killed. 

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Really??? REALLY? <eyeroll>

LOL you guys. It's a figment. A trope the nazis love, because it inverts their twisted worldview and gives them an enemy to fight. 

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Apparently the Alt left still felt threatened.

This has been an illuminating discussion into your worldview, Jeff. I'm not liking what I'm learning.

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, well at least I'm not the schizophrenic racist in this discussion.

You seem flustered, old man. 

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/08/what_the_alt_left_was_actually_doing_in_charlottesville.html

There were, as it turns out, a great number of Charlottesville locals present to witness the violence and lawlessness on display in this town—my town—last weekend. I asked local witnesses, many in the faith community, every one of whom was on the streets of Charlottesville on Saturday, whether there was a violent, club-wielding mob threatening the good people on team Nazi. Here’s what I heard back:

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

This has been an illuminating discussion into your worldview, Jeff. I'm not liking what I'm learning.

You're learning that I believe in holding everybody involved that did wrong accountable for their actions. It will be okay for you

The "Only one side is at fault" narrative wouldn't be as disgusting if it wasn't for the large amount of blind sheep that are willing to believe it. 

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/08/what_the_alt_left_was_actually_doing_in_charlottesville.html

There were, as it turns out, a great number of Charlottesville locals present to witness the violence and lawlessness on display in this town—my town—last weekend. I asked local witnesses, many in the faith community, every one of whom was on the streets of Charlottesville on Saturday, whether there was a violent, club-wielding mob threatening the good people on team Nazi. Here’s what I heard back:

Slate

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You seem flustered, old man. 

Naah, cowardly weasels don't fluster me.  I've got a lot of experience with them.  Some worse than you even.

19 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Then why are you afraid of them.  :dunno:

You're still grasping at straws? When are you ever going to learn to quit when you're down? 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Slate

Genetic fallacy.

Read it. Those are first hand accounts from the residents. 

Or don't. Wouldn't want to threaten that off kilter worldview of yours. 

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Naah, cowardly weasels don't fluster me.  I've got a lot of experience with them.  Some worse than you even.

You are talking to the mirror again, aren't you old man.

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

Seriously

I have been trying to give him the benefit of doubt, but he lost me here:

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The race tensions under Obama as well. Many race frustrations were built up among the white working class. They got sick and tired of the atrocities from the past being throwed at them time after time again. Sick and tired of hearing about "white privilege" when 90 percent of the time, they had nothing to do to receive the privilege, they ever received it to begin with. They got tired of the fake "racist outrages" just like the Durham NC monument which was toppled over by bored white kids needing something to do. Maybe they are tired of being told that owe minorities something. 

Look, there could be many more, I just think they need a perception of evenhandedness across the board. 

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Read it. Those are first hand accounts from the residents. 

Or don't. Wouldn't want to threaten that off kilter worldview of yours. 

But yet you had to bring up Faith Goldy's irrelevant credentials even though she periscoped the whole thing. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You're learning that I believe in holding everybody involved that did wrong accountable for their actions. It will be okay for you

The "Only one side is at fault" narrative wouldn't be as disgusting if it wasn't for the large amount of blind sheep that are willing to believe it. 

Hold on there.  You're changing the argument.

The question is who holds the moral highground.  That's not the same thing.

(But then, we already know you don't understand that distinction.)

Just now, homersapien said:

Seriously

I have been trying to give him the benefit of doubt, but he lost me here:

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The race tensions under Obama as well. Many race frustrations were built up among the white working class. They got sick and tired of the atrocities from the past being throwed at them time after time again. Sick and tired of hearing about "white privilege" when 90 percent of the time, they had nothing to do to receive the privilege, they ever received it to begin with. They got tired of the fake "racist outrages" just like the Durham NC monument which was toppled over by bored white kids needing something to do. Maybe they are tired of being told that owe minorities something. 

Look, there could be many more, I just think they need a perception of evenhandedness across the board. 

You've been lost quite frequently today. I don't envy you. 

4 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Wow, so the Washington Post publishes 2 articles on the same day with completely different descriptions of the size of the far right.

SAN FRANCISCO — Organizers of a free speech protest planned at Google locations across the United States said late Tuesday that the marches were postponed because of threats from “left-wing terrorists.”

“The Peaceful March on Google has been postponed due to credible Alt Left terrorist threats for the safety of our citizen participants,” organizers wrote on a blog post on the protest’s website.

The postponement of Saturday’s rally comes on the heels of bloody clashes in Charlottesville in which a man who was reportedly a Nazi sympathizer allegedly crashed into a crowd of activists, killing one person and injuring 19. On Tuesday, President Trump used the term “alt-left” and said both sides were to blame for the violence.

The rally’s organizer, Jack Posobiec, is an alt-right activist and self-described “reality journalist” who used conspiracy theories to galvanize Trump supporters during the presidential campaign, including the infamous “Pizzagate” rumors of child trafficking. The alt-right, short for alternative right, is a small, far-right movement that seeks a whites-only state. Adherents of the alt-right are known for espousing racist, anti-Semitic and sexist points of view.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/organizers-postpone-google-protest-marches-citing-alt-left-terrorist-threats/2017/08/16/1a62a248-824b-11e7-ab27-1a21a8e006ab_story.html?utm_term=.ca676d329414

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

But yet you had to bring up Faith Goldy's irrelevant credentials even though she periscoped the whole thing. 

And I watched her video and found her a lying sack of s***. That you take her seriously is laughable. Go read her article on the "Jewish Question,"  or how the alt-right is full of philosophical luminaries, then ponder long and hard whether she is an unbiased source.

Archived