Any chance of Auburn-FSU 2018

TecmoBoJackson

Hmm. I visit multiple Auburn sites and haven't seen one thing mentioned about this.  Besides, our non-conference schedule is already set for 2018.  

Don't think there's room for it in 2018 unless we drop an already scheduled OOC game and work FSU in at some point in the season. We're playing Washington to start the season in a kickoff game. Not sure I want to play FSU in late September or early October, and I definitely don't want to play them between UGA and Bama. 

Here's Auburn's non-conference schedule for 2018.

I hope our homecoming game is against Liberty and not Southern Miss, because they always play us tough. IMO, you shouldn't have a tough game for homecoming.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope our homecoming game is against Liberty and not Southern Miss, because they always play us tough. IMO, you shouldn't have a tough game for homecoming.

This is the dumbest train of thought to me.  Doesn't that defeat the purpose of encouraging alums to come home?  I'm not traveling 1,000 miles to watch us play a cupcake.  I fully remember my dad talking about going to big homecoming games against Tennessee and other top teams back in the 70s.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I guess Washington will be expected to be good next year but overall that looks like a pretty weak OOC schedule. 

27 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I guess Washington will be expected to be good next year but overall that looks like a pretty weak OOC schedule. 

You guess? Made the playoffs last year . Considered to be an elite team again this year, predicting to be either them or USC to win the PAC 12. Preseason top ten team this year . Doesn't get much better than that 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

You guess? Made the playoffs last year . Considered to be an elite team again this year, predicting to be either them or USC to win the PAC 12. Preseason top ten team this year . Doesn't get much better than that 

You're talking about 2016 and 2017. Auburn plays Washington in 2018. A lot can change, especially if QB Jake Browning and RB Myles Gaskin leave. If they go to the NFL, I don't think Washington will be considered at Top 20 program. A quality opponent, but not elite.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is the dumbest train of thought to me.  Doesn't that defeat the purpose of encouraging alums to come home?  I'm not traveling 1,000 miles to watch us play a cupcake.  I fully remember my dad talking about going to big homecoming games against Tennessee and other top teams back in the 70s.

On the other hand, it gives people more incentive to come to a game that wouldn't be well attended.

That said, the notion that HC HAS to be against a cupcake is largely a state of Alabama thing. In 2010 Missouri, the school that invented HC, played #1 Oklahoma and beat them. Can't quite remember who became #1 the following week. ;)

30 minutes ago, subterranean_jack said:

You're talking about 2016 and 2017. Auburn plays Washington in 2018. A lot can change, especially if QB Jake Browning and RB Myles Gaskin leave. If they go to the NFL, I don't think Washington will be considered at Top 20 program. A quality opponent, but not elite.

We play them in 2018?! No way

I seriously doubt that, especially with Chris Peterson coaching them with finally his players. And btw, there is only a handful of elite programs to choose from and we play one of them every year. And guess what? We are the last program to be saying "a lot can change."  Washington stock is rising. Why would we not jump on the opportunity to play an OOC game with them?

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Who would you rather play to strengthen our OOC schedule? That looks pretty solid to me. Washington is a very good PAC-12 program. Southern Miss is a quality group of 5 team. The other two are cream puffs like we play every year. I personally don't want to eliminate those two weak games. It's a good break for your starters and gets young players some experience. And unless you're scheduling the top echelon of the group of 5, which is sometimes hard to predict several years out, those games don't really matter or factor into much of anything. In the current format, I don't see any need to schedule more than one really good OOC game with the SEC schedule we play. 

4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Liberty? As in Falwell? If so, they're fundamentally sound....

24 minutes ago, G8orH8or said:

Liberty? As in Falwell? If so, they're fundamentally sound....

Their team name is, somewhat surprisingly,

the Flames.

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Their team name is, somewhat surprisingly,

the Flames.

Their Head Coach is the IMMORTAL Auburn underground swell of movement to become head coach in 2008 DAAAAAARLING Turner Gill!!!! lol. It will be a homecoming of sorts for him! I remember a LOT of fans wanted him as Head Coach. No idea if anyone that actually mattered wanted him to replace tubs. AHH good times. Memories.

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

Turner Gill is the correct answer to any question. Fact of the day. 

Where is your BFF NOLA tiger?! lol and YES! I agree with your answer!

4 hours ago, boomstick said:

Who would you rather play to strengthen our OOC schedule? That looks pretty solid to me. Washington is a very good PAC-12 program. Southern Miss is a quality group of 5 team. The other two are cream puffs like we play every year. I personally don't want to eliminate those two weak games. It's a good break for your starters and gets young players some experience. And unless you're scheduling the top echelon of the group of 5, which is sometimes hard to predict several years out, those games don't really matter or factor into much of anything. In the current format, I don't see any need to schedule more than one really good OOC game with the SEC schedule we play. 

I guess it depends on how so miss turns out. I wouldn't normally consider them a quality game. Though they certainly can be a quality team and have in the past. I think if you traded liberty and al st with like a western Kentucky type team and upped southern miss with a middle of the road acc or big 12 team I would say that is solid. Right now just seems like Washington and not much else

27 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I guess it depends on how so miss turns out. I wouldn't normally consider them a quality game. Though they certainly can be a quality team and have in the past. I think if you traded liberty and al st with like a western Kentucky type team and upped southern miss with a middle of the road acc or big 12 team I would say that is solid. Right now just seems like Washington and not much else

Southern Miss has really turned it around since their disastrous 0-12 season a few years back.  Been to back-to-back bowl games and should contend this year for their division title in C-USA.  It's a game that should provide a challenge while still offering a win.

Liberty and Bama State on the other hand.....

I wouldn't want Auburn to play Oklahoma or Nebraska for homecoming, would you? I remember a few years ago we played Samford for homecoming and that game wasn't close at all.

32 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I wouldn't want Auburn to play Oklahoma or Nebraska for homecoming, would you? I remember a few years ago we played Samford for homecoming and that game wasn't close at all.

bless your heart

HUGE question is how Auburn can fill the 2020 non-conf. schedule. Even year so uga & uat will be away games. Gonna be a real slap in the face to season ticket holders if they schedule another neutral site game. That's almost assuredly what will happen though with Penn St in 2021 & 2022 and Cal in 2023 & 2024.

I loathe those neutral site games. Just my opinion, but college football is meant to be played on campus until the post season. No to mention, season ticket holders lose out and all those $$$ a home game brings are spent elsewhere.  

Archived