2017 Fall Camp - Wed, Aug 16

ValleyTiger

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm really hoping so. I feel like that hasn't been talked about very much. If Shenker isn't a viable backup for Cox, then as far as I know, we're either 1 deep at H-back or we'd have to move Pettway back there if Cox went down. 

IMO Shenker is being groomed to be the all-around TE that Chip wants, ala Lutz or CJ. Effective at both in-line and flexed out. Currently, Jalen is one and Sal is the other. Sure Shenker could play the 3-back, but if Cox were to get hurt, I'd imagine we'd mostly scrap the 3-back stuff from the playsheet. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm really hoping so. I feel like that hasn't been talked about very much. If Shenker isn't a viable backup for Cox, then as far as I know, we're either 1 deep at H-back or we'd have to move Pettway back there if Cox went down. 

I thought Chip was moving away from H-back and to more of traditional tight end. Think I read that some where.

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I thought Chip was moving away from H-back and to more of traditional tight end. Think I read that some where.

If you got a player like Cox, you use him. 

6 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

IMO Shenker is being groomed to be the all-around TE that Chip wants, ala Lutz or CJ. Effective at both in-line and flexed out. Currently, Jalen is one and Sal is the other. Sure Shenker could play the 3-back, but if Cox were to get hurt, I'd imagine we'd mostly scrap the 3-back stuff from the playsheet. 

1 minute ago, kd4au said:

Thanks for the feedback, guys, and good call(s). I just found this:

But what sets Lindsey’s offense apart from Malzahn and Lashlee’s is how the tight end/H-back is used. There’s a reason why this term is combined. Arizona State used both Kody Kohl and Jay Jay Wilson as a tight ends, H-backs and even slot receivers.

Arizona State often went with 4-wide receiver sets with either Kohl or Wilson as a slot receiver. Pre-snap motion brought them inside to H-back, where they served as lead blockers or receivers. They would line up as traditional tight ends or even running backs in two-back formations on the same drive.

So it looks like there is some room for versatility and fluidity there. I feel much better. 

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/chip-lindsey-offense-analysis-auburn-football

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

If you got a player like Cox, you use him. 

Not saying that at all, just thought I read that Chip likes to use a tight end instead of an H-back.

12 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Sorry I missed this post while I was posting.

The running story is that CCL prefers traditional TE's to HBack's as being more versatile. The latter being primarily as blocking backs, the former being used in multiple roles from blocking back, traditional TE, and even slot receiver. That's where I believe Sal and Shenker will factor into the offense, in more common roles..

Just now, stoic-one said:

The running story is that CCL prefers traditional TE's to HBack's as being more versatile. The latter being primarily as blocking backs, the former being used in multiple roles from blocking back, traditional TE, and even slot receiver. That's where I believe Sal and Shenker will factor into the offense, in more common roles..

For those who haven't listened, he talks about this in his interview after practice yesterday.

6 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

That's true but Chip also hasn't exactly approached the run game in his past stops like I think we will this season. He hasn't had a more traditional H-back like Cox, and even Cox is athletic enough to be a threat in space. It's not terribly difficult for a TE to motion into that H-back spot and make a cut block on the perimeter, but a guy like Cox can impact the inside running game in a way that I don't think you get from those more traditional TEs.

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Think when you don't have a true TE you have to use Cox. 

There's a joke in there somewhere, lol.

I think Cox gets an unfortunately bad wrap for the whirly bird and his earlier struggles with open field blocking, but that dude is a damn good football player. 

2 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

That's true but Chip also hasn't exactly approached the run game in his past stops like I think we will this season. He hasn't had a more traditional H-back like Cox, and even Cox is athletic enough to be a threat in space. It's not terribly difficult for a TE to motion into that H-back spot and make a cut block on the perimeter, but a guy like Cox can impact the inside running game in a way that I don't think you get from those more traditional TEs.

I agree, but there is a point where CCL and CGM "merge" their offensive philosophies and I look forward to seeing capable TE's AND HB's lined up.

I think power running and a healthy mix of passing can coexist, and I for one, really look forward to it.

Just now, stoic-one said:

I agree, but there is a point where CCL and CGM "merge" their offensive philosophies and I look forward to seeing capable TE's AND HB's lined up.

I think power running and a healthy mix of passing can coexist, and I for one, really look forward to it.

That's exactly what I was trying to get at. Great way to put it. 

32 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

For those who haven't listened, he talks about this in his interview after practice yesterday.

I feel like this was the most polite and well-intentioned "let me google that for you" ever. 

30 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

That's what I was thinking, also. He's a little closer to Peyton Hillis than Prosch. That's what I'm hoping, anyway. 

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

There's a joke in there somewhere, lol.

I think Cox gets an unfortunately bad wrap for the whirly bird and his earlier struggles with open field blocking, but that dude is a damn good football player. 

Because we aren't able to use more than one emoticon to express how we feel about things around here, my "facepalm" was intended to be something more like this...

1339.gif

19 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Because we aren't able to use more than one emoticon to express how we feel about things around here, my "facepalm" was intended to be something more like this...

1339.gif

giggle, giggle, farce, farce :laugh:

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

notsureifserious.jpg

Just now, McLoofus said:

I was serious about all of it but I'm curious what specifically this was in response to?

Moving Pettway back to H-Back...? 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I was serious about all of it but I'm curious what specifically this was in response to?

I think the part about moving Pettway back to H-Back. And, I can't imagine that we'd do that either, especially if its Lindsey's intention to develop guys like Harris and Shenker into the hybrid role that he's been talking about. 

Just now, GTNupe11 said:

Moving Pettway back to H-Back...? 

Fair enough.

We are deeper at RB this year and he would make a great h-back, but no, I didn't honestly think that would happen. (Although, Pettway and KJ/Miller/Barrett/KMart in the backfield at the same time... I mean, I've seen our offense do much worse...)

I think whatever value there would be in moving Pettway to H-Back over someone like Shenker or Harris would be less than what we lose by moving him away from RB. Lindsey has talked about Harris improving  his physicality and hand-on-the-ground blocking. 

I mean, he's the closest thing next to Jay Prosch (and I say this loosely because Jay was an animal) outside of Chandler Cox so he'd be a viable option but his talents are needed at RB. 

Archived