‘He is stubborn and doesn't realize how bad this is getting’

homersapien

The Charlottesville furor is the latest example of the chaos that can result from Trump’s temper and refusal to back down.

President Donald Trump’s decision to double down on his argument that “both sides” were to blame for the violent clashes at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, was driven in part by his own anger — and his disdain for being told what to do.

Trump’s temper has been a constant force in this eight-month-old White House. He’s made policy decisions after becoming irritated with staffers and has escalated fights in the past few weeks with everyone from the Senate majority leader to the volatile dictator of North Korea.

The controversy over his response to the Charlottesville violence was no different. Agitated about being pressured by aides to clarify his first public statement, Trump unexpectedly unwound the damage control of the prior two days by assigning blame to the “alt-left” and calling some of the white supremacist protesters “very fine people.”

“In some ways, Trump would rather have people calling him racist than say he backed down the minute he was wrong,” one adviser to the White House said on Wednesday about Charlottesville. “This may turn into the biggest mess of his presidency because he is stubborn and doesn't realize how bad this is getting.”

For Trump, anger serves as a way to manage staff, express his displeasure or simply as an outlet that soothes him. Often, aides and advisers say, he’ll get mad at a specific staffer or broader situation, unload from the Oval Office and then three hours later act as if nothing ever occurred even if others still feel rattled by it. Negative television coverage and lawyers earn particular ire from him.

White House officials and informal advisers say the triggers for his temper are if he thinks someone is lying to him, if he’s caught by surprise, if someone criticizes him, or if someone stops him from trying to do something or seeks to control him....

Read the rest at: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/16/trump-charlottesville-temper-chaos-241721

None of this matters. Obama couldn't do any better with the other side than Trump....both being very untested in the realm of executive governance. The country is split between ideologies cooked in for generations and fed by divisive political gamesmanship.  If we continue down this path the result will be devastating.

20 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

None of this matters. Obama couldn't do any better with the other side than Trump....both being very untested in the realm of executive governance. The country is split between ideologies cooked in for generations and fed by divisive political gamesmanship.  If we continue down this path the result will be devastating.

If you really don't see Trump for what he is, there's nothing I can say to help you.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If you really don't see Trump for what he is, there's nothing I can say to help you.

I really don't think he needs your help.

33 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If you paid attention you might have realized that I have never supported, nor will I support President Trump....so maybe the "help" here is that which you may seek for yourself.

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I was responding to the above post.

That, to me, implies you don't see a qualitative difference between Trump and Obama - or with their problems governing. 

If that's the case, there is nothing I can say to help you (see that difference).

No offence intended. 

Did you read the entire article?

4 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I hesitantly agree with this. Obama missed opportunities to unite when he could have. But "the other side" is where i disagree. Obama's "side" is minorities who have been enslaved, segregated, mistreated, held down by actual laws, and fought through it over 400 years. Now are being, at least feel they are being over policed. (I know that is a hot debate over whether its happening to the degree it is being stated but the fact it is the problem it is makes it a problem for everyone. and needs attention) Therefore still seeking equality.

Trumps "side" are simply hateful bastards any way you look at it. The political gamesmanship path Trump is on is worse than the 60s. Than part is devastating.

Discussions or contrasts with Obama or any other POTUS regarding political governance are not relevant to this discussion, which is about the article in the OP. This about personal psychology, it's not about politics.  

Trump is apolitical.  He is a narcissist.  He has no political philosophy outside of whatever glorifies himself personally.  

Some people have pointed out he was a Democrat for decades before suddenly becoming a Republican. This is merely a response to opportunity, it wasn't a reasoned shift in ideology.   He now disparges his own Republican Party,  again not due to a conflict of ideology but because he is responding to what he sees are personal challenges to himself.   It's all about him.  Political philosophies are irrelevant to him outside of their potential to benefit him personally.

This rant put him right back into the mess he created with his first Charlottesville statement.  The mess that his carefully prepared statement - written by his staff - was designed to squelch.  Not only that, but he did it while he was supposed to be promoting his infrastructure plan. (Does anyone know what that's supposed to be?)

He's constantly shooting himself in the foot regarding advancing an agenda but it's not because he's incompetent - he doesn't care.  Nurturing his ego is more important than advancing policy. It's childish.

I have been as outspoken as anyone criticizing his recent statements on Charlottesville.  But even I realize he doesn't really have any personal inclination from a philosophical standpoint white supremacists one way or the other.  He simply sees them as a means to an end, which is to solidify a particular base of support.  He could care less about what political or moral positions that support has, as long as it supports him.

He cannot even entertain the possibility he might be wrong about something.  He doesn't recognize changing his position as a path to growth.  He only cares about the perception of appearing weak.   

He is a psychopath.  He doesn't have any principles other than self love.

This is what makes him so dangerous.  He is like a spoiled infant with the power to do great harm and there is no guiding moral philosophy or emotional maturity to direct him.  He's like a 5 year old with a loaded gun.

Much of the country is in denial over this guy.  We need to remove him from office before it's too late.

33 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Sings almost as bad he pitches

Ya boy Trump didn't even throw out the first pitch. Guess his tiny hands are glued to his Twitter device.

23 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

Not sure I really understand the "Obama couldn't do any better" claim. This is  the message he delivered when faced with a situation similar to Charlottesville.

I'm talking about gaining support from those who would never support him. Ya'll took it and spun in into some thing else or misunderstood so no worries there. As for executive governance I stand by my statement and their resume bears witness to it.

22 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I'm talking about gaining support from those who would never support him. Ya'll took it and spun in into some thing else or misunderstood so no worries there. As for executive governance I stand by my statement and their resume bears witness to it.

Obama didn't have a lot of support. McConnell was a complete obstructionist who has recently complained about obstructionists. Hypocrite, much?

Opposition to Obama was either political bias or racial bias. 

With Trump it's a moral bias. Different ballgame. 

On 8/18/2017 at 4:34 PM, GiveEmElle said:

Obama didn't have a lot of support. McConnell was a complete obstructionist who has recently complained about obstructionists. Hypocrite, much?

Opposition to Obama was either political bias or racial bias. 

With Trump it's a moral bias. Different ballgame. 

Regardless of the reason. ;)

On 8/18/2017 at 5:07 PM, autigeremt said:

That doesn't seem like a fair standard to me.

Archived