Former AU QBs weigh in on Stidham

WFE12

2 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Uhhhh....JJ was a Junior when he took over as THE starter. So, how are you using him as a similarity to what you described as a hyper mature freshman? JJ also only had 1 half of meaningful football. Stidham had nearly 10 times that.

I said hyper mature freshman because his actual on field experience, which was like 700+ days ago, was so limited. Close to how much experience a freshman would have. So the hyper-mature FR part is basically that he's literally only got 3 games more experience than a freshman......except it was 2 years ago and he's 2 years older alluding to the maturity part.

JJ played in both his freshman and soph years leading up to his JR year. He started games for us in both years. He was in the program and was not stepping into his role as a new guy.

My JJ comparison was only because of the hype machine surrounding him after seeing him in only 3-4 games. Similar to Stidham except JJ played in 2 consecutive years before becoming starter while Stidz played 1 year, took a year completely off, then is now jumping back into the game. The few games JS played in will be helpful, but we're basically running with a more mature version of a guy who's played in 3 games. Which, as I said earlier, is essentially freshman level experience.

That is how I got to calling him a hyper-mature freshman.

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I said hyper mature freshman because his actual on field experience, which was like 700+ days ago, was so limited. Close to how much experience a freshman would have. So the hyper-mature FR part is basically that he's literally only got 3 games more experience than a freshman......except it was 2 years ago and he's 2 years older alluding to the maturity part.

JJ played in both his freshman and soph years leading up to his JR year. He started games for us in both years. He was in the program and was not stepping into his role as a new guy.

My JJ comparison was only because of the hype machine surrounding him after seeing him in only 3-4 games. Similar to Stidham except JJ played in 2 consecutive years before becoming starter while Stidz played 1 year, took a year completely off, then is now jumping back into the game. The few games JS played in will be helpful, but we're basically running with a more mature version of a guy who's played in 3 games. Which, as I said earlier, is essentially freshman level experience.

That is how I got to calling him a hyper-mature freshman.

long story short, you're overplaying JJ's experience before being the guy and underplaying Stidham's. Stidham had more yards in his freshman season(or maybe sub-freshman season according to you since he's now just a hyper-mature freshman) than JJ had in 2 seasons of being the backup and starting games against the likes of FAU, Western Carolina, and a half against Arkansas.

13 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

long story short, you're overplaying JJ's experience before being the guy and underplaying Stidham's. Stidham had more yards in his freshman season(or maybe sub-freshman season according to you since he's now just a hyper-mature freshman) than JJ had in 2 seasons of being the backup and starting games against the likes of FAU, Western Carolina, and a half against Arkansas.

Trust me I'm not overplaying JJ's experience at all I was one of the very few saying lets proceed with caution on JJ's expectations because we hadn't seen much from him we had no idea how he'd react to mistakes, pressure, or anything at all really.

This is kind of how I feel about JS. We haven't seen enough to give him what is it? 5th best odds to win the Heisman? That's kind of absurd, no? Don't get me wrong I'm hoping like hell he kills it, I'm just not expecting him to kill it immediately. He has faced more fire than JJ did I'll give you that just based on the fact that JS played against Oklahoma and JJ's toughest comp was a half vs Arky. But if 3 games is enough to give people warm and fuzzies about a QB then we haven't learned much from 2015. JMO. I just personally think 3 games of experience 2 years ago isn't much to go off of. I'm a wait and see type of dude so we can agree to disagree. 

DON'T CONFUSE MY POST with saying he won't be the man. I'm just not saying he will definitely be the man right out of the gate.

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Trust me I'm not overplaying JJ's experience at all I was one of the very few saying lets proceed with caution on JJ's expectations because we hadn't seen much from him we had no idea how he'd react to mistakes, pressure, or anything at all really.

This is kind of how I feel about JS. We haven't seen enough to give him what is it? 5th best odds to win the Heisman? That's kind of absurd, no? Don't get me wrong I'm hoping like hell he kills it, I'm just not expecting him to kill it immediately. He has faced more fire than JJ did I'll give you that just based on the fact that JS played against Oklahoma and JJ's toughest comp was a half vs Arky. But if 3 games is enough to give people warm and fuzzies about a QB then we haven't learned much from 2015. JMO. I just personally think 3 games of experience 2 years ago isn't much to go off of. I'm a wait and see type of dude so we can agree to disagree. 

DON'T CONFUSE MY POST with saying he won't be the man. I'm just not saying he will definitely be the man right out of the gate.

I know what your saying, but it's going to be hard to slow down the hype that is building around JS. Hope he can live up to it.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Oh, I agree, the Heisman hype is absurd considering nobody has seen him play in 2 years and never in the offense he'll be in at Auburn. He certainly has the tools, but so do guys like Austin Allen and Drew Lock. Both of whom he'll need to beat to keep his hype train on the tracks.  Just nitpicking the freshman moniker and comparison to JJ which I don't think made much sense.

4 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

Oh, I agree, the Heisman hype is absurd considering nobody has seen him play in 2 years and never in the offense he'll be in at Auburn. He certainly has the tools, but so do guys like Austin Allen and Drew Lock. Both of whom he'll need to beat to keep his hype train on the tracks.  Just nitpicking the freshman moniker and comparison to JJ which I don't think made much sense.

That's fair. :cheers: 

i believe numba 8 will come out big time against clemson. plus i do business with a guy in oxford,al that was a local coach. and when i walked in he was telling some folks that clemson was having problems of some kind on offense but i missed his reason why.IF this is true lets hope they still have the same problem when we play them next. but we did have our chances last year and i believe we gave one a way. but i am just a fan who knows little about Xes and O's.

Most of this Heisman baloney isn't coming from Auburn fans, it's the media and Bammer fans spitting it out.  He's got the tools, can make all the throws, has some weapons around him to make some plays and a pretty decent D, but that's not all it takes to be successful. He can't be constantly put in unmanageable situations like several times over the past two seasons.  We'll need better offensives schemes and more diversity, balance and consistency from the coaches. I'm crossing my fingers on that last sentence.

11 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm expecting him to not hit his stride for at least a few weeks into the season.

Watch his very first pass in College Football...confident, effortless and on point...

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i believe numba 8 will come out big time against clemson. plus i do business with a guy in oxford,al that was a local coach. and when i walked in he was telling some folks that clemson was having problems of some kind on offense but i missed his reason why.IF this is true lets hope they still have the same problem when we play them next. but we did have our chances last year and i believe we gave one a way. but i am just a fan who knows little about Xes and O's.

I fully believe that they will struggle on offense. Doesn't matter who their qb is, it's not watson and we did a solid job vs him anyway. What is daunting to me is their d-line....Hard to believe that Jarrett won't get sacked but I just hope he isn't running for his life all night. If the o-line does it's job I expect him to throw dots.

59 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Watch his very first pass in College Football...confident, effortless and on point...

I hope if MW gets in games later this year we do the exact same thing and let him throw the ball.

His coaches at Baylor said he was never nervous when he was thrown into the fire once Seth Russell got hurt and went about things like it was nothing. Bet he does the same for Clempson and all the other big games. He won't be rattled after making mistakes.

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I fully believe that they will struggle on offense. Doesn't matter who their qb is, it's not watson and we did a solid job vs him anyway. What is daunting to me is their d-line....Hard to believe that Jarrett won't get sacked but I just hope he isn't running for his life all night. If the o-line does it's job I expect him to throw dots.

in my haste i forgot to mention he and dabo are close friends from some kind of receivers camp at alabama. he claims dabo is one of the best men you will ever meet. and i thought yes that is cool but i will prais ehim after we get in clems behind and hopefully beat the pants off of them. i want to get on natty tv and cry...lol

Archived