Thanks for invite + Joey Gatewood info

ChaddScott

Very nice interview and written article.   JG looks and sounds like the kind of young man we are always happy to welcome to AU.

And...early enrollee too.....good for him and sounds like Coach Lindsey and Gus will have some more difficult decisions in the next few years on who plays QB for the Tigers.....great problem to have....

• Like 1

Man that was a good article. Even if we don't get Fields it's still looking like we have a bright future at qb which is a far cry from previous years. Need to find a way to catch some of his games this year.

I would just like to add my welcome to @ChaddScott and the good folks over at Gridiron Now.  We are always looking for ways  to provide incremental Auburn content, analysis and insight and that is exactly what he will do during the 2017 College Football season.

So again, warmest of welcomes and War Eagle!  We look forward to your posts and interactions this season ...

• Like 1

@ChaddScottIs Joey still going to split reps with another QB this year? Is there any concern about his in-game development by not being the full time QB? It sounds like his private coach believes in him, and he's performed well on the camp circuit. Just curious if sharing that role is concerning to anyone close to him?

Really hoping that we can hold onto Gatewood and bring in Fields as well. I think both of them are great prospects. 

Edited by boomstick

@boomstickYes, Gatewood will again split QB reps this season at Bartram Trail HS in Jax. Riley Smith is the other QB and he has D1 offers as well... depending on how the chips fall, he may end up at Ole Miss. Gatewood can play WR at the high school level in addition to QB, which isn't the case with the Smith, so to have them both on the field at the same time, they will use that personnel package. Make no mistake, however, Gatewood is a QB at AU.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

@ChaddScottIs Joey still going to split reps with another QB this year? Is there any concern about his in-game development by not being the full time QB? It sounds like his private coach believes in him, and he's performed well on the camp circuit. Just curious if sharing that role is concerning to anyone close to him?

Really hoping that we can hold onto Gatewood and bring in Fields as well. I think both of them are great prospects. 

An interesting dilemma for AU coaches when he arrives.  Considering the QB talent we seem to have (before he arrives) should coaches just put him in the queue to await his "turn" at QB or do they use him at some other position for a year or two....as he has done in HS   .   :dunno:

With Stidham and Willis and whoever else available for 2018..., it is very unlikely that he would play as a freshman or maybe even a soph......and yet, considering his athletic capability, do you just leave him on the sideline for a year or two ?    JMO      But is a serious question for our coaches.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

An interesting dilemma for AU coaches when he arrives.  Considering the QB talent we seem to have (before he arrives) should coaches just put him in the queue to await his "turn" at QB or do they use him at some other position for a year or two....as he has done in HS   .   :dunno:

With Stidham and Willis and whoever else available for 2018..., it is very unlikely that he would play as a freshman or maybe even a soph......and yet, considering his athletic capability, do you just leave him on the sideline for a year or two ?    JMO      But is a serious question for our coaches.

Not really sure. You'd hate to see his athletic ability sit on the bench, but if he's going to be a QB in the SEC, I'd want him being around and taking as many reps as possible for the first couple of years of his career, even if he isn't playing. If there's a way to get all that mental and physical QB work while still playing another position as a FR, then I'm all for it. 

12 minutes ago, ChaddScott said:

@boomstickYes, Gatewood will again split QB reps this season at Bartram Trail HS in Jax. Riley Smith is the other QB and he has D1 offers as well... depending on how the chips fall, he may end up at Ole Miss. Gatewood can play WR at the high school level in addition to QB, which isn't the case with the Smith, so to have them both on the field at the same time, they will use that personnel package. Make no mistake, however, Gatewood is a QB at AU.

Thanks for the response. I hope you're right, but given our issues recruiting and developing HS QBs, I can see why some would worry that him not getting all the reps as QB for the last two seasons could affect his in-game development. Can't wait to get him on campus and see what Chip can do with him during the spring. Kid is loaded with talent and potential. 

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Thanks for the response. I hope you're right, but given our issues recruiting and developing HS QBs, I can see why some would worry that him not getting all the reps as QB for the last two seasons could affect his in-game development. Can't wait to get him on campus and see what Chip can do with him during the spring. Kid is loaded with talent and potential. 

The big difference between Joey and the last two project QBs we got is Joey has all of the tools in spades, they just need refining and reps, unlike John, and Joey has the right attitude, unlike Woody.