Braden Smith

RunInRed

My old roommate was chemistry partners with Braden.. Said Braden never said a word. And never really had to -- he was as big as the lab table itself. I expect him to excel at any position he's ever placed in :jossun:

11 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

My old roommate was chemistry partners with Braden.. Said Braden never said a word. And never really had to -- he was as big as the lab table itself. I expect him to excel at any position he's ever placed in :jossun:

got to watch those quiet dudes

Just now, jAUSon said:

got to watch those quiet dudes

Definitely wouldn't want to share leg room under a table with Braden! Not sure there would be any left over

The ideal college athlete ...never makes the news except on game day.....Way to go Braden......:hellyeah:

No thread on Braden because there is nothing to argue about with him. Everyone knows he is the best. If I could bring myself to do the man crush thing he would be mine , but I just can't do it.

I expect a lot out of Braden this year. I feel like he needs to be more aggressive and more viscous as a run blocker . The draft will come calling either way

Is his percentage hurt by the fact that he was placed in the impossible situation of having to block Myles Garrett after pulling from the opposite side....TWICE?

On 8/20/2017 at 9:59 AM, JDUBB4AU said:

I expect a lot out of Braden this year. I feel like he needs to be more aggressive and more viscous as a run blocker . The draft will come calling either way

Idk, I think being completely solid would be more effective ;D

12 minutes ago, AUtigers2324 said:

Maybe what he meant to say was that, as a "viscous" lineman, defensive players will be glued to his blocks, making him difficult to escape from. 

12 minutes ago, AUtigers2324 said:

Viscosity is definitely a better trait for a D-lineman than an O-lineman. 

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

Is his percentage hurt by the fact that he was placed in the impossible situation of having to block Myles Garrett after pulling from the opposite side....TWICE?

Yes.

Probably won't be a popular opinion, but here goes...

I feel we have done Braden a great injustice keeping him at guard or RT. LT is where the money is, and he is without question our best lineman. I feel like he has been for years. When he first came in as a freshman, it was too hard to keep him off the field so he took over the RG spot. I would imagine he thought he would be moved to the outside in a season or two. He has become a dominant guard but at the next level, guards don't make near the paycheck a LT makes. Maybe I'm wrong. I know most here love him at RG, but I've ALWAYS wanted to see him at LT so he would be able to really make himself a paycheck at the next level. He will unquestionably get an NFL paycheck. I just feel we have held him back from making a larger one.

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Probably won't be a popular opinion, but here goes...

I feel we have done Braden a great injustice keeping him at guard or RT. LT is where the money is, and he is without question our best lineman. I feel like he has been for years. When he first came in as a freshman, it was too hard to keep him off the field so he took over the RG spot. I would imagine he thought he would be moved to the outside in a season or two. He has become a dominant guard but at the next level, guards don't make near the paycheck a LT makes. Maybe I'm wrong. I know most here love him at RG, but I've ALWAYS wanted to see him at LT so he would be able to really make himself a paycheck at the next level. He will unquestionably get an NFL paycheck. I just feel we have held him back from making a larger one.

Held him back?    Maybe or maybe not.    BUT...Coaches should  play him where he does the most for the team.......right or wrong?.  

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Held him back?    Maybe or maybe not.    BUT...Coaches should  play him where he does the most for the team.......right or wrong?.  

I agree on that front. And i feel thats why we started him at guard immediately. 

I'm just looking at things from a draft perspective. We hear so much about how other teams have X amount of first rounders and that gets used as  negative  recruiting against us for our lack of them. 

I'm not saying he would be a sure fire 1st rounder at LT. Nor am I saying it's a sure thing he won't be a 1st round pick at guard. I'm just saying tackle is drafted more than guard in the 1st. If we moved him outside last season and he had 4 collegiate seasons starting and 2 of them outside, he would of had a better chance of being a 1st day pick, and made a WHOLE LOT more money. 

But like I said, it' just my opinion and I knew it wouldn't be a popular one.

Great guards don't always make great tackles. If he stood out at LT I believe we would have moved him there and moved James to guard last year.  I think we play him at guard as that is his best position. I am not saying he can't play tackle but that he fits better at guard and that is where he will probably go at the next level. You are right though tackles do make more.

32 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Great guards don't always make great tackles. If he stood out at LT I believe we would have moved him there and moved James to guard last year.  I think we play him at guard as that is his best position. I am not saying he can't play tackle but that he fits better at guard and that is where he will probably go at the next level. You are right though tackles do make more.

Agreed. If he was a great tackle, he would be in that position. I think he is in the position that he is the best at. I think you see a lot more tackles mover to guards as opposed to guards move to tackle. If you don't have the quick feet at tackle position you can't cover that outside rush.

I'm also not sure he can play LT in the NFL. Even if we moved him there and he did well, that doesn't mean an NFL team is going to draft him to play that position. RG contracts actually look to be higher now than RT in the NFL and aren't too far off from LT.

Right Guard Salaries

Right Tackle Salaries

Left Tackle Salaries

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Also...seems our OL guys are trained for the running game rather than pass protection and NFL has mostly become a passing league...how does that affect their potential?

1 hour ago, WDEKC said:

I'm also not sure he can play LT in the NFL. Even if we moved him there and he did well, that doesn't mean an NFL team is going to draft him to play that position. RG contracts actually look to be higher now than RT in the NFL and aren't too far off from LT.

Right Guard Salaries

Right Tackle Salaries

Left Tackle Salaries

Did you see where Greg Robinson's contract is 100% guaranteed? Genius.

32 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Did you see where Greg Robinson's contract is 100% guaranteed? Genius.

With the latest CBA most 1st rounders are above 70% guaranteed and most in the top 10-15 range are 100%.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Also...seems our OL guys are trained for the running game rather than pass protection and NFL has mostly become a passing league...how does that affect their potential?

Has been that way, but Herb, and now Chip will change that. 

Braden will be drafted Late 1st Round IMO. He will go high due to his lack of injuries as well as hid ability to move around. I bet he could play C if he HAD TO. He is going to be similar to Jeff Backus (Played at Norcross HS/Michigan/Detroit, is the only player to start all 4 years on the OL at UM and never miss a game, and hold the record for starts without missing a game for OL in the NFL IIRC), IYAM, in that he will go somewhere, and stay a decade or more, and not miss a game.

Archived