Reported that 200 players claim AU offers

AU64

Piece in AUC stating that 200 HS players claim to have offers from AU for scholarships.  

Is this even possible?   and if so, what's going on and how does anyone sort out what the coaches are doing?  This was from Keith Nieubuhr

http://auburn.247sports.com/ContentGallery/200-football-recruits-claim-Auburn-offers-including-Justin-Field-52568108

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Piece in AUC stating that 200 HS players claim to have offers from AU for scholarships.  

Is this even possible?   and if so, what's going on and how does anyone sort out what the coaches are doing?  This was from Keith Nieubuhr

http://auburn.247sports.com/ContentGallery/200-football-recruits-claim-Auburn-offers-including-Justin-Field-52568108

Yes this is possible. Not all offers are commitable. All schools do this.

10 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Yes this is possible. Not all offers are commitable. All schools do this.

So why?   Is this some PR game.?...  make the kids feel good?......and how does anyone know which offers are  "commitable"..?   I come out of the business world and when an honorable company or person makes an offer, it's expected that if the customer accepts it, you have to deliver.

JMO ...sorry,  but no matter how many schools do it. ...it still sounds scummy to me.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So why?   Is this some PR game.?...  make the kids feel good?......and how does anyone know which offers are  "commitable"..?   I come out of the business world and when an honorable company or person makes an offer, it's expected that if the customer accepts it, you have to deliver.

JMO ...sorry,  but no matter how many schools do it. ...it still sounds scummy to me.

Yea, I get what your saying, but with limited numbers most of the kids do understand that each school can only take so many players. It is a numbers game. Schools want to offer enough kids to end up with their 25 or so signees, of course focusing on their biggest areas of need.

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Yea, I get what your saying, but with limited numbers most of the kids do understand that each school can only take so many players. It is a numbers game. Schools want to offer enough kids to end up with their 25 or so signees, of course focusing on their biggest areas of need.

Yep...gotta do that but I glanced through the list and not surprising,  most of the players were committed all over the US college scene and I'm betting AU coaches had not seen most of them in person.....looked like someone went through the ESPN 300 and sent "offers" to the top 150 or so....with a form letter or something.

Oh well...guess Phil N had a big time researching the article ...but I do wonder who in Auburn shared that list with him to begin with ?   Just saying....if I were Gus or whoever is in charge of recruiting, don't think I would make that kind of thing public.    If at least on reason is to flatter the kids with an AU offer, when they find out that 200 other kinds also got one of them, the special nature of an Auburn offer kind of goes away.  JMO

Meanwhile, just hoping we get most of the ones we actually want....and who are capable of playing SEC football.

That's a lot of offers. Hope they're not all friends with Fields. He can't bring everybody with him when he commits. ;D

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yep...gotta do that but I glanced through the list and not surprising,  most of the players were committed all over the US college scene and I'm betting AU coaches had not seen most of them in person.....looked like someone went through the ESPN 300 and sent "offers" to the top 150 or so....with a form letter or something.

Oh well...guess Phil N had a big time researching the article ...but I do wonder who in Auburn shared that list with him to begin with ?   Just saying....if I were Gus or whoever is in charge of recruiting, don't think I would make that kind of thing public.    If at least on reason is to flatter the kids with an AU offer, when they find out that 200 other kinds also got one of them, the special nature of an Auburn offer kind of goes away.  JMO

Meanwhile, just hoping we get most of the ones we actually want....and who are capable of playing SEC football.

Nobody at AU could have legally made that list public. That info was gathered from what the kids themselves told the pay sites. Probably 500 have claimed they have offers from Bammer. It's a prestige thing with high school players to claim an offer from various high profile schools and the schools themselves cannot comment without crossing an NCAA line.. No doubt some few have committable offers, some have conditional offers and many have talked to a coach once on the phone and thus claim they have an "offer". Recruiting is a weird game, with its own jargon. The meaning of words such as "committed" is nothing at all similar to what we would consider committed to mean in any other situation. "Offer" likewise.

One of my close friends (who goes to Auburn now) received "offers" to schools, with Bama included, but it was clearly told to him that he would just have priority to join the practice squad as a kick returner/kick coverage. Still meant a lot to him. But 200 is kind of a whopping number still..

I...fail to see what the big deal is, or why this wouldn't make sense.

So, the contention is that schools should send offers to 25 kids, since that's the number of spots? What if one of them...you know...says no? Even 200 is low, really, when you consider that teams send offer letters to kids they know they don't have a chance with.

These are not contracts, these aren't even handshake deals...I guess, if we are talking business, you could call them requests for proposals. This is the first step in the contract process, not the last.

Archived