Charles Barkley on monuments

alexava

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Charles isn't exactly known for nuanced thinking.

Who needs a subtle difference in thinking when common sense is sufficient and actually more desired?

26 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Certainly not you!

And anybody else that rather hear common sense instead of the sensationialist, euphemistic or metaphorical fluff that politicians throw around.

Charles is off about as much as he is on. I put him spot on here. It's a waste of time and energy.(period) He spoke for most black people and i agree. If they are honest they never think about those stupid statues. From the shots i see on the news it's not even a majority of black people belly aching about it anyway. It's mostly snowflakes. We let the extreme left and extreme right dictate too much emotion in this country. I don't defend the statues at all except to say they are already there. Grow up and act like an adult. find something worthy of the time and energy, something that adds value to someones life to focus on. 

One other thing Chuck nailed was that its ridiculous to waste time yelling at a neo nazi who is going to hate him no matter what he says or does. The less attention they get the less they matter.

The worst part about all this is some people don't understand you don't have to take one side or the other. I bet its above 70percent who don't give a damn.

I bet most white people don't think about those stupid statues too and wouldn't miss them if they were gone. They are only  reminders of a devisive past and serve no purpose.

Ever notice how the right loves to prop up a black person to defend their side? Here's a black man defending statutes. Here's a black man defending the confederate flag.

Sir Charles was spot on. The statutes are irrelevant and focus should be on other things such as education and work; but he didn't defend the statutes. The article seems to suggest that he defends the statues and leftists are pissed rather than focusing on the fact that he clearly stated he never gives the statues a thought. 

44 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Ever notice how the right loves to prop up a black person to defend their side? Here's a black man defending statutes. Here's a black man defending the confederate flag.

Sir Charles was spot on. The statutes are irrelevant and focus should be on other things such as education and work; but he didn't defend the statutes. The article seems to suggest that he defends the statues and leftists are pissed rather than focusing on the fact that he clearly stated he never gives the statues a thought. 

100%

On 8/20/2017 at 9:42 AM, GiveEmElle said:

My argument to Charles would be, if they mean absolutely nothing, and you never think about them, then it doesn't affect you in any way when they are torn down, and if it doesn't hurt you but makes others happy, why not do it?

Also I didn't see how the article made it look like Charles was defending the statues... and alt-leftists are pissed. Already lost count of the number of times he's been called an uncle tom by these people, it's sickening.

In terms of violence the alt-right is winning hands down, in terms of hateful and hurtful language both alt sides are neck-n-neck.

PS: Used "alt-left" because none of the sensible democrats or liberals I converse with/have on FB have said such hateful crap.

12 hours ago, Mims44 said:

My argument to Charles would be, if they mean absolutely nothing, and you never think about them, then it doesn't affect you in any way when they are torn down, and if it doesn't hurt you but makes others happy, why not do it?

Also I didn't see how the article made it look like Charles was defending the statues... and alt-leftists are pissed. Already lost count of the number of times he's been called an uncle tom by these people, it's sickening.

In terms of violence the alt-right is winning hands down, in terms of hateful and hurtful language both alt sides are neck-n-neck.

PS: Used "alt-left" because none of the sensible democrats or liberals I converse with/have on FB have said such hateful crap.

To your first question; he says it's a waste of energy and time. He doesn't care if they are removed but won't waste resources that could actually improve people's lives on it. I don't see him defending anything. 

i agree with him. If these statues come down tomorrow, are these snowflakes gonna be happy and quietly go away? 

charles has been quick to charge racism before and look like an idiot. I have seen him called a hypocrite for this, which makes no sense to me. Sometimes I do agree sometimes I don't but I always listen. 

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

i agree with him. If these statues come down tomorrow, are these snowflakes gonna be happy and quietly go away? 

Absolutely not Alex. You understand that......something is always in need of protesting with some groups............... 

On 8/20/2017 at 9:42 AM, GiveEmElle said:

Yes, and this is totally different from how the left loves to crucify any Conservative person of color as an "Uncle Tom" or some other derogatory label which implies that there is something wrong with them (kind of like homo in this very thread), because they don't buy into the sheep group-think that they are supposed to parrot, right? This really grinds your gears, doesn't it? When one of your subjects strays too far from the herd?

On 8/21/2017 at 9:50 AM, Mims44 said:

Because someone skilled took time to craft these statues? Because they provide something interesting to look at? The people who will be made happy by their removal will find something else to be outraged about tomorrow; they are programmed to react to this negative stimuli.  These "activists" will never be content, so if your argument revolves around doing it to shut them up, you are already lost in the rabbit hole.  My biggest counter-argument would be that these are classical representations of real art.  You want them to rip them down so that they can put up a box with dog s*** and period-blood or some other postmodern example of "art" as a replacement? That is what you are likely to get in 2017. 

6 hours ago, metafour said:

Because someone skilled took time to craft these statues? Because they provide something interesting to look at? The people who will be made happy by their removal will find something else to be outraged about tomorrow; they are programmed to react to this negative stimuli.  These "activists" will never be content, so if your argument revolves around doing it to shut them up, you are already lost in the rabbit hole.  My biggest counter-argument would be that these are classical representations of real art.  You want them to rip them down so that they can put up a box with dog s*** and period-blood or some other postmodern example of "art" as a replacement? That is what you are likely to get in 2017. 

If that's your best argument, you can quit now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/politics/why-those-confederate-soldier-statues-look-a-lot-like-their-union-counterparts/2017/08/18/cefcc1bc-8394-11e7-ab27-1a21a8e006ab_story.html

6 hours ago, metafour said:

Yes, and this is totally different from how the left loves to crucify any Conservative person of color as an "Uncle Tom" or some other derogatory label which implies that there is something wrong with them (kind of like homo in this very thread), because they don't buy into the sheep group-think that they are supposed to parrot, right? This really grinds your gears, doesn't it? When one of your subjects strays too far from the herd?

Who's the "homo" in this thread?  :dunno:

(Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

On 8/20/2017 at 0:23 AM, alexava said:

Charles is off about as much as he is on. I put him spot on here. It's a waste of time and energy.(period) He spoke for most black people and i agree. If they are honest they never think about those stupid statues. From the shots i see on the news it's not even a majority of black people belly aching about it anyway. It's mostly snowflakes. We let the extreme left and extreme right dictate too much emotion in this country. I don't defend the statues at all except to say they are already there. Grow up and act like an adult. find something worthy of the time and energy, something that adds value to someones life to focus on. 

One other thing Chuck nailed was that its ridiculous to waste time yelling at a neo nazi who is going to hate him no matter what he says or does. The less attention they get the less they matter.

All due respect, but it's not for you to determine what might bother black people nor to characterize the ones who are bothered. They have a long, long history of having to conceal what bothers them.

As far as I am concerned, this is as much about whites - particularly white Southerners.  We are the ones who need to come to terms with our history, not blacks.

Likewise, it's not all that surprising to see that a multi-millionaire like Charles isn't really bothered by such things.  He doesn't exactly speak for his race.

And I do like Charles.

11 hours ago, metafour said:

I guess it depends on your definition of "skilled". Also, don't find them interesting to look at.

There is a much more sinister reason for why they were put up and why some people want them to stay up. Hint: It's the reason why Germany took down/burned nearly 100% of their Nazi stuff.

I agree with Charles.  I also still say to those who find a way to get upset that these monuments, how about build monuments of slaves that endured and now are remembered in a much better light all around the statues. For one, it would an awesome testament and represent all the slave have endured and how far we came as a country.   It would also be a great testament in our current age and state of affairs to show that we can compromise and show a little unity for once rather than let stupid statues divide us.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

All due respect, but it's not for you to determine what might bother black people nor to characterize the ones who are bothered. They have a long, long history of having to conceal what bothers them.

As far as I am concerned, this is as much about whites - particularly white Southerners.  We are the ones who need to come to terms with our history, not blacks.

Likewise, it's not all that surprising to see that a multi-millionaire like Charles isn't really bothered by such things.  He doesn't exactly speak for his race.

And I do like Charles.

So black people are bothered but conceal it, still. And Charles only speaks for blacks when a golf course gets redesigned or Auburn passes on hiring a black coach? The vast, vast majority of people don't give two sh**s about those monuments. The snowflakes wanting them down are white folks with too much spare time. The kkk and nazis don't give a damn except they hate black folks and won't miss a chance to remind them. Charles, myself, and likely over 90% of the country just want people to act like civilized adults. We want peace, cooler weather, and college football. Let us know what happens with them-------- statues. Because it won't change how anyone feels or acts moving on. 

Archived