Nation's top OLB has AL 1, AU 2

ChaddScott

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

Agreed. I long for some DBs with ball skills like Bama seems to have. Man, they've always got a guy every year that has the ability to make plays and potentially take it to the house. We haven't had "that guy" in awhile.

Yep...I am thinking Carlton though . I am praying Carlton . Dean has been on the rise . It's just time to put on the field now . You know . We do that , we will see a high rise in our LB and Secondary quality players. I am thinking we are finally finding a foundation .

Saban PROVEN track record at LSU is why he got the Julio class which is what kicked everything off that set their whole run in motion. We were never really in it with julio. I think it was down to oklahoma and bama for julio.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Remember , at one point , AU defenses use to have headhunters . I am talking warriors at all three levels of the ball on defense . We can get back to that. Just have to have stability and continued success.

And that kind of future looks good with the likes of Smoke, TD Moultry, and Marlon.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Honestly finishing second in crutin is the worst position you can be in. You just wasted a lot of time and money.

Yep. They're painful. Definitely for players like Lattimore, the 5 star DB that chose Clemson in 2013, and Martez Ivey. 

The only saving grace for teams that finish second is finishing second to players that  later transfer away like Marlon Character heading to USCe. It was anAuburn-USCe battle pretty much his entire senior HS season. With that said, the Lattimores and Martez Iveys out there are usually not the type to transfer 

30 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yep. They're painful. Definitely for players like Lattimore, the 5 star DB that chose Clemson in 2013, and Martez Ivey. 

The only saving grace for teams that finish second is finishing second to players that  later transfer away like Marlon Character heading to USCe. It was anAuburn-USCe battle pretty much his entire senior HS season. With that said, the Lattimores and Martez Iveys out there are usually not the type to transfer 

Mackensie Alexander UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH we got played honestly. We got stuck with the less talented brother.

13 hours ago, DAG said:

You think so? I am hoping we come up on top and will be the #1 producing secondary in the SEC btw . We are over due . Carlton Davis and Matthews needs to show out . 

I don't know about you guys but growing up as an AU fan, all I knew was defense ...I am so ready for us to get back to that level of intensity. You know , 2006 AU vs Florida ..

Just based off what they lost in the front 7; yes. Harrison and Fitzpatrick will be tough on the back end. Depending on where Fitz lines up.

22 hours ago, DAG said:

Umm, you have to win to get these players and then actually develop them. I think some of you fools actually think it easy to CONTINUOUSLY be successful. I swear some of y'all say the dumbest things.  Do you think NS got #1 LB when he first got to Alabama? No. It started Rolando Mclain and then it continued to snowball. But it means crap nothing if you don't develop them. If what you said was so true then why is our defense just getting nice when we been recruiting blue chip quality players since the Chizik days? You know why LSU has a great secondary? Yes, they have good, quality players but they also have one of the best secondary coaches in the nation, Corey Raymond.

Either way, if we want to get "EASY" proven success, then I think we better start putting out quality LB play to get these type of guys. I believe T-WILL is the man to do that.

auburn recruited well but not that great defensively, particularly at the LB spot. not to mention the constant revolving defensive coordinator door. you can even look at how lackadaisical Tubbs defensive recruiting was towards the end of his tenure. Couple that with Old Man Ellis during Gus 1st two seasons and the recruiting at LB suffered. Now with Twill and Kevin Steele (one proven veteran recruiter and another very enthusiastic young one) recruiting at LB looks more promising, even though Au has had two marginal seasons back to back. To develop them you gotta have the coaches to do it. And Auburn has the now.

19 hours ago, DAG said:

don't know about you guys but growing up as an AU fan, all I knew was defense ...I am so ready for us to get back to that level of intensity. You know , 2006 AU vs Florida ..

I became an Auburn fan around 1999 when I was around 10. And didn't really start paying attention until two years after that. So you're right for me and others about growing up watching good defenses. I wish Dontarrious Thomas and Karlos Dansby were our linebackers again. Now, I'm old enough to really appreciate how special that duo was. I still have high hopes for our LB core this year though. Deshaun Davis really surprised me; I didn't know he was such a baller. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I became an Auburn fan around 1999 when I was around 10. And didn't really start paying attention until two years after that. So you're right for me and others about growing up watching good defenses. I wish Dontarrious Thomas and Karlos Dansby were our linebackers again. Now, I'm old enough to really appreciate how special that duo was. I still have high hopes for our LB core this year though. Deshaun Davis really surprised me; I didn't know he was such a baller. 

He would of been a 4 star if he did not get hurt his senior year of high school. He is a thumper and will pop you.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

He would of been a 4 star if he did not get hurt his senior year of high school. He is a thumper and will pop you.

Yep. You're right. I remember when recruiting him, he was always the jokester that was always interviewing other players but other than that, I knew nothing about him.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Yep. You're right. I remember when recruiting him, he was always the jokester that was always interviewing other players but other than that, I knew nothing about him.

He helped us with Tre Williams!!! Those were 2 of our best recruiters that year. They tried like hell to get alan evans son to come to AU. I remember they were always hanging out with him at the AU games they all would go to and talking to him on twitter. On Evans official visit them 2 came back up on a unofficial I believe just to help recruit. Looking back you could tell something was up just by how not in to it he was looking at pictures from it now lol.

much of what was said about saban and establishing himself is true, but we hurt ourselves at the same time by wanting small linebackers. Small defense actually. We moved corners to safety, safeties to linebackers, linebackers to d ends and d ends to tackle....we hit on a few guys but tried to do it with every recruit it seemed. Bout time guys like Reggie ragland came out, he was like I'm going to bammer because saban loves and knows how to use a big athletic linebacker...

I'd love to have this guy, but anyone who thinks we go head to head with Bama for a #1 LB recruit and get him hasn't been paying attention. 

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

much of what was said about saban and establishing himself is true, but we hurt ourselves at the same time by wanting small linebackers. Small defense actually. We moved corners to safety, safeties to linebackers, linebackers to d ends and d ends to tackle....we hit on a few guys but tried to do it with every recruit it seemed. Bout time guys like Reggie ragland came out, he was like I'm going to bammer because saban loves and knows how to use a big athletic linebacker...

You are exactly right

On 8/20/2017 at 8:48 PM, austudnt23 said:

...Propst will push bama.

All you need to know.  Kid plays at Colquitt County and Rush Propst was an Updyke before anyone ever heard of Harvey.  

25 minutes ago, Samau said:

It will be a huge steel if we could somehow get this kid!

It would be but it is not likely atm. Good news is bama has pushed hard for him to commit without any success so far. 

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

I'd love to have this guy, but anyone who thinks we go head to head with Bama for a #1 LB recruit and get him hasn't been paying attention. 

You are probably right, but maybe it will change one day and we get the top LB'er. Don't be surprised if T-Will makes it happen.

On 8/23/2017 at 5:24 PM, kd4au said:

You are probably right, but maybe it will change one day and we get the top LB'er. Don't be surprised if T-Will makes it happen.

I won't hold my breath, but i REALLY hope so.

Archived