Very Good Team Very Tough Schedule

corchjay

We are a week out from getting into Game Week.  Focus starting today will be some on Ga. Southern and looking ahead to Clemson. The  next week will narrow down to just GS and being ready for that first game ...

Here's my best guess on 2 deep:

Offense

LT - Tega/James

LG - Horton/Harrel

C - Golson/Dunn

RG - Smith/Bell

RT - James/Smith 

TE - Harris/Sal

WR - Slayton/Stove

WR - NCM/McClain

WR - R. Davis/Hastings 

WR - K. Davis/Sal

RB - Bubba/KJ

QB - Stidham/White

Defense

DE - Davidson/Coe

DT - Brown/Cowart

DT - Russell/Multiple rotation 

DE - Holland/PJ3

LB - T. Williams/McBride

LB - D. Davis/Moultry

LB - D. Williams/Atkinson 

NB - J. Davis/Dinson

CB - Dean/J. Davis

CB - C. Davis/J. Myers

S - Matthews/Thomas

S - Roberts/J. Smith/Broussard 

As you can see, Auburn has a very solid 2-deep and can be even deeper if some of the younger players develop to be contributors ... Big Cat, McBride, Tre Threat, Iggy, and on special teams as well, with Sammons, Dunn, Alec Jackson...

The schedule is the biggest concern to go along with staying healthy.  Auburn will travel to Clemson (9/09) early and Baton Rouge (10/14) mid-season before ending with Amen Corner UGA (11/11) and Bama (11/25), both at home.  Those four games will grab the headlines but the mid-late October season stretch of at LSU (10/14), at Arkansas (10/21) and at Texas A&M (11/04) should also get everyone's attention --- which comes at the second half of a 6 straight conference game stretch! 

My prediction is 11-1 with the lone loss at LSU but any of the road games can get us including Mizzou, if we flounder around after a good start to the season and take them lightly -- their offense will be pretty good.  These type of ttrap games are dangerous in championship seasons.  

Get behind this team and be loud.  Don't wait until the middle of the season to buy-in.  This team has a chance to be really really good.

War Eagle!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only change I would make is Hastings in front of Davis.  He seems to be the receiver of choice for Stidham when things break down.  I actually think we can beat LSU because it seems their QB situation has not improved from what I hear.  It will be like last year: stop their RB and you win the game. 

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Get behind this team and be loud.  Don't wait until the middle of the season to buy in.  This team has a chance to be really really good.

War Eagle!!

Love this post! I really hope the fans -- especially the ones in JHS -- stay all in on this team. (I know they will!) Nothing gets my blood pumping like hearing the crowd roar after the hype video of the first game :hellyeah: Fans really can make a difference in home SEC games. Love this team, and I'm super excited! Fingers crossed for our guys to stay healthy!!

18 minutes ago, corchjay said:

LT - Tega/James

LG - Horton/Harrel

C - Golson/Dunn

RG - Smith/Bell

RT - James/Smith

TE - Harris/Sal

WR - Slayton or NCM

WR - Stove/R Davis

WR - R. Davis/Hastings 

WR - K. Davis/Sal/McClain

QB - Stidham/White

DE - Davidson/Coe

DT - Brown/A. Williams/Cowart

DT - Russell/Multiple rotation :-\

DE - Holland/PJ3

LB - T. Williams/McBride

LB - D. Davis/Moultry

LB - D. Williams/Atkinson 

NB - J. Davis/Dinson

CB - Dean/J. Davis

CB - C. Davis/Broussard

S - Matthews/Ruffin

S - Roberts/Thomas

Mostly agree. Like I said in the other thread, I think the WR group is going to be highly personnel package dependent. Kyle, Slayton, and NCM could play anywhere b/c of their speed and ability to get off jams. Coe is also moonlighting inside at DT. I wouldn't mind seeing some 3-4 defense this season with that depth at LB. ;)

4 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Also I hope we use Stove a good bit more this season. Love watching that kid in the open field

I'm hoping Stove is one of the kick returners.  Sounds like Iggy will be one just not sure if they will trust him in the Clemson game early.

9 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Mostly agree. Like I said in the other thread, I think the WR group is going to be highly personnel package dependent. Kyle, Slayton, and NCM could play anywhere b/c of their speed and ability to get off jams. Coe is also moonlighting inside at DT. I wouldn't mind seeing some 3-4 defense this season with that depth at LB. ;)

A. Williams completely slipped my mind

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm hoping Stove is one of the kick returners.  Sounds like Iggy will be one just not sure if they will trust him in the Clemson game early.

I wouldn't mind any pairing out of the Iggy-Stove-Martin-Barrett so long that either Stove or Martin is one of them. I'd like at least some experience back there. But mostly I just don't want KJ returning kicks anymore -- trying to protect himself or not, I don't think he's the answer at KR.

Have to admit those from A-Day and the scrimmage clips that Ruffin and J. Myers have been the ones I've noticed getting abused in the pass game.  Trial by fire, Iron sharpens Iron all those cliches I hope helps them improve. 

29 minutes ago, corchjay said:

My prediction is 11-1 with the lone loss at LSU

This is what I have as well

Forgot one group...

RB - Bubba/KJ

i think the 3 will be a combo package of Miller and K. Mart with Barrett getting carries in mop up to gain some experience.  Might be one of those guys after game 3 somehow they get one of those "unspecified injuries". 

52 minutes ago, corchjay said:

My prediction is 11-1 with the lone loss at LSU

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This is what I have as well

:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

:flame::lsu::shoot:

If there has to be one, I'd rather it be Clemson or Mizzou. :puke:

14 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Yeah I'd rather us use Ruffin mostly in obvious running situations as run support. Dude doesn't miss many tackles

Agreed, he's proven to be more of the Strong Safety, run stopping type.

I believe this is our deepest roster we've had in a long time.  I'm most interested to see the rotation in the back end of the defense.  Ive heard good things about Peters, but he is a tFR.

I've said previously, if we start 2-0, then LSU becomes much more of a toss up. If we start 1-1, then LSU become a heavy favorite in my mind. I still feel that way

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I believe this is our deepest roster we've had in a long time.  I'm most interested to see the rotation in the back end of the defense.  Ive heard good things about Peters, but he is a tFR.

I've said previously, if we start 2-0, then LSU becomes much more of a toss up. If we start 1-1, then LSU become a heavy favorite in my mind. I still feel that way

Out of curiosity, what makes you think this LSU's team is better than last years?

14 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think this LSU's team is better than last years?

Matt Canada

26 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

My guess is 2 words:  Matt Canada 

Should've read before I replied. You nailed it.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I don't think it's THAT tough a schedule. It helps that Ole Miss is likely returning to its usual form.

Ole Miss can be dangerous for three reasons in my humble opinion. One, they have a really good QB throwing to some freak receivers. Two, teams may be prone to take them lightly because of what might happen to them down the road.  Right now, they still have a solid SEC roster.  And three, Matt Luke is playing with house money.  He will be able to take big risks in big games.  

On paper, maybe the most talented team we have had in years. Schedule, and concern at safety position worries me the most. Watching some of last years games lately, reminds me we must play much smarter at back end of the defense. If the offensive tackles can protect Stidham, and we can develop a legitimate pass rush, as well as solid safety play, we should be a contender to make the playoff.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

What part is not tough?  We have 5 games against top 15 teams.  

It's tough as usual but everyone in the West has a tough schedule for that matter. 

Archived