Ranking all 130 FBS teams

AuburnTiger4Life

Thought I would share this out of pure boredom https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-teams-2017%3famp 

Georgia Southern ranks at #111

clemson #7 

SEC: Missouri #55, Vanderbilt #48, Ole Miss #46, Kentucky #45, USC #40, Texas A&M #37, MSU #30, Arkansas #29, Tennessee #19, Florida #16, Georgia #15, LSU #11, Auburn #9, Tuscaloosa #1 

I get the feeling Missouri isn't going to finish as the worst (or even second worst) team in the SEC. My playoff is Auburn, OK State, Washington, and FSU with Miami as my underdog playoff pick.

Went down the list. Just as I thought. Notre Dame is in the top 20!!  4 wins last year. I hate them so much I watched a couple of their games last year. It was exactly like watching Auburn 2012. But of course they are ranked Top 20. Just like every year , the writers go into every reason why this year will justify the ranking.  On the flipside, a much more consistent football team for the last ten years---Michigan State---free falls after one bad season. Their coach will certainly right that ship faster than Norte Dame will.  This list lost all credibility to me.

But these lists are just something to talk about as we wait these last few gruelingly long days until the season starts.

And it may be the orange and blue colored glasses, but I think we are going to be phenomenal this year.  War Damn Eagle. 

5 hours ago, djg0017 said:

I get the feeling Missouri isn't going to finish as the worst (or even second worst) team in the SEC. My playoff is Auburn, OK State, Washington, and FSU with Miami as my underdog playoff pick.

OK St is a good pick!!!

Coach 40's hair should be worth at least a few first place votes!!!

I do think that the Big 10 winner will be hard to keep out of the playoffs unless they're a 2 loss team. 

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

OK St is a good pick!!!

Coach 40's hair should be worth at least a few first place votes!!!

I do think that the Big 10 winner will be hard to keep out of the playoffs unless they're a 2 loss team. 

I've got OK St going undefeated my man! I think Ohio St wins the big 10 championship but a loss to Michigan in the last week of reg season leaves them on the outside looking in. I'll take Aub, Wash, FSU as 1 loss teams but I think those losses happen earlier in the year. I'm not as high on USC or Oklahoma though.

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

Pretty good list.  I think NCstate and Okie state are underrated and Michigan and FSU overrated

With the buzz coming out of their practices, you have to wonder if Clemson isn't overrated. You have to wonder if they are going to have something similar to our 2011 on offense.

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

With the buzz coming out of their practices, you have to wonder if Clemson isn't overrated. You have to wonder if they are going to have something similar to our 2011 on offense.

I'm not writing off Clemson as a 1 hit wonder because since around 2010 they have been very solid and have recruited well.  They may have some questions at QB for now but they have had an entire spring and fall camp to address those. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.  In fact I think Dabo is 3-1 against us... that needs to change.

In general, the SEC is not getting much respect . .but I am not too surprised . The coaches in the  conference for the most part, are not very impressive . 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I'm not writing off Clemson as a 1 hit wonder because since around 2010 they have been very solid and have recruited well.  They may have some questions at QB for now but they have had an entire spring and fall camp to address those. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.  In fact I think Dabo is 3-1 against us... that needs to change.

This is our chance for payback to the 2011 loss after our championship season. Hope we beat the brakes off'em.

52 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

The #111 ranking for us is probably warranted after last seasons performance. Though there's no way in hell we finish the season that low. 

I thought it was kind of low for you guys too.. With the OL you have I think you should've been ranked just inside the upper half of the Sun Belt. A good OL goes a long way

19 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

I thought it was kind of low for you guys too.. With the OL you have I think you should've been ranked just inside the upper half of the Sun Belt. A good OL goes a long way

It really is one of those seasons where we have reason to be concerned, but equally as much reason to be optimistic so the predictions for us are all over the place - depends on if you're a glass half full or empty kinda guy. I don't doubt behind this OL and with our two veteran RB's that we will go back to being a top 3 rushing team in the nation averaging over 300 ypg on the ground. Where GS goes from an 8-4 type team to a 10-2 type team is usually dependent on our ability to move the chains through the air when our ground game is stymied. We have the WR weapons to do so, but the problem is usually with our QB's ability to get the ball to them.

You'll be the best team we face all year so it's a good baptism by fire for some of the new guys. I anticipate we'll have some guys step up in positions that need to be filled, but I don't know if we'll know who they are in game 1. But #111? GS has never had back-to-back losing seasons and I don't see that starting now. 

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

I'm just speaking of the fact that Dabo has express extreme disappointed in the Offense in the first two scrimmages and anything else I've read coming out of their Fall camp is that the offense is severely lacking in leadership and the level of play is hurting because of it. I've heard mediocre things from the QB spot and worse from the receivers.

The one thing they've never lacked since 2010 is a quality QB. In fact the top 2 QBs in Clemson history were the 2 QBs since 2010. It will be interesting to see if they can put it together without a star behind center, or if one of their freshman can get ready to step up.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm just speaking of the fact that Dabo has express extreme disappointed in the Offense in the first two scrimmages and anything else I've read coming out of their Fall camp is that the offense is severely lacking in leadership and the level of play is hurting because of it. I've heard mediocre things from the QB spot and worse from the receivers.

The one thing they've never lacked since 2010 is a quality QB. In fact the top 2 QBs in Clemson history were the 2 QBs since 2010. It will be interesting to see if they can put it together without a star behind center, or if one of their freshman can get ready to step up.

Nothing like a couple of world class QBs to make a coach look like a genius.   We will learn a lot about Dabo this season...  Optimistic about the Clemson game.

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nothing like a couple of world class QBs to make a coach look like a genius.   We will learn a lot about Dabo this season...  Optimistic about the Clemson game.

#truth

Watson to Williams was a deadly combo!!! And when they needed a play, that's where they went.  Therefore, it's obvious their offense will struggle to find their identity early.  But also keep in mind that a good bit of those reports from Clemson are due to having 2 potential All Americans on the DL.  They won't drop off a whole lot.  Too much talent and (I hate to say it) good coaching going on there.  But I don't think they'll find their groove until at least week 3, probably later.

I am hoping we are well ahead of the curve offensively, considering we have a new QB and OC.  I am optimistic this is the case.  I think a win @ Clemson will give this team some swagger moving forward which could make for a very good season!

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

But also keep in mind that a good bit of those reports from Clemson are due to having 2 potential All Americans on the DL.

What I'm hearing is that their receivers aren't playing with intensity and they have a serious case of the drops. That's not DL induced.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

What I'm hearing is that their receivers aren't playing with intensity and they have a serious case of the drops. That's not DL induced.

Apparently the offense showed out during their scrimmage on Saturday. I like our defense, but they've still got plenty of firepower. I'll be expecting plenty of intensity from them by the time we play. 

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Apparently the offense showed out during their scrimmage on Saturday. I like our defense, but they've still got plenty of firepower. I'll be expecting plenty of intensity from them by the time we play. 

Sounds like an example of players stepping up when the coach calls them out.

17 hours ago, djg0017 said:

I've got OK St going undefeated my man! I think Ohio St wins the big 10 championship but a loss to Michigan in the last week of reg season leaves them on the outside looking in. I'll take Aub, Wash, FSU as 1 loss teams but I think those losses happen earlier in the year. I'm not as high on USC or Oklahoma though.

I wrote something similar about OK St. being in the playoffs in a different thread. They have their key games at home (TCU, Kansas State & Oklahoma). They just need enough defense. I don't get why the voters love Oklahoma so much. Maybe because the way they beat us but i just don't see Oklahoma as a contender. Ok St. should lose 1 game at the most.

Archived