Record: 5-7
-
24 Washington State
Record: 8-5
-
25 Tennessee
SEC
Record: 9-4

Others receiving votes: TCU 98, Utah 85, Notre Dame 65, Boise St. 37, NC State 26, Northwestern 25, Pittsburgh 23, Oregon 21, Houston 19, Colorado 18, UCLA 9, San Diego St. 9, BYU 5, Appalachian St. 4, Nebraska 4, Tulsa 4, Kentucky 3, Texas A&M 3, Michigan St. 1.

Watch out for Wisky to potentially run the table until the B1G CG. They play the easiest schedule of any Power 5 team, only Michigan at Camp Randall is of consequence.

Longest stretch since 1983-90 Auburn started with expectations this high for this many years in a row. Popular belief - mostly media - says we do not do well when expectations are high but we produced mostly terrific final results between 1983 - 90. 

Michigan and Oklahoma jump out at me as overrated.  

I don't think Clemson is is the 5th best team right now, but imho the the defending champs deserve a top 5 rating anyway. 

I think 12 is a pretty good spot for us to start. 

11 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I think 12 is a pretty good spot for us to start. 

Agreed. IMO (I know coaches would disagree; they'd be lying) teams prepare a little harder for an opposition that's ranked in the top 5 than top 10 than top 15, etc. So I'm guessing some teams won't take Auburn as seriously as if we were even a few spots higher. But I think #12 definitely gives us room to lose a game (or two, really) and have time to climb back into the CFP. Ideally we go 13-0 and there's no doubts about it, but it's always nice to have any margin for error. So #12.. well I'm not offended :wareagle:

15 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Agreed. IMO (I know coaches would disagree; they'd be lying) teams prepare a little harder for an opposition that's ranked in the top 5 than top 10 than top 15, etc. So I'm guessing some teams won't take Auburn as seriously as if we were even a few spots higher. But I think #12 definitely gives us room to lose a game (or two, really) and have time to climb back into the CFP. Ideally we go 13-0 and there's no doubts about it, but it's always nice to have any margin for error. So #12.. well I'm not offended :wareagle:

No team is going to take us lightly . This is a fallacy . Especially considering we are the arguably the #2 team in the SEC. What team on our schedule do you think won't take us seriously?

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

No team is going to take us lightly . This is a fallacy . Especially considering we are the arguably the #2 team in the SEC. What team on our schedule do you think won't take us seriously?

No, no. Never said they won't take us seriously and definitely not lightly. Just that they expect more from the #1 team than the #10 team and so on. Just looking on the bright side of not being ranked #5 or so. Not all our opponents will be as high on our team as we on this forum are -- some probably think we are overrated. But Bama at #1? Nobody is expecting anything less than the best team in the country from them.

I don't think Michigan is overrated. They've got plenty of talent - 61% 4 and 5 star players. They are well coached. They don't play an exceedingly difficult schedule. They finished no. 10 in the final AP rankings after a three-loss season. That's probably where they will end up again. 11 is a good spot for them, IMO. 

5 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Dave Reardon needs to get out of Hawaii more.

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Michigan over AU again... Stupid.

You gotta think about it from an outsiders perspective. Michigan's had better wins than us since Harbaugh has came in. He's had better records. We've flopped 3 straight years in expectations, while they've overperformed. 

31 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You gotta think about it from an outsiders perspective. Michigan's had better wins than us since Harbaugh has came in. He's had better records. We've flopped 3 straight years in expectations, while they've overperformed. 

Man I really hope we finally live up to high expectations. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Technically we overperformed expectations last year, even if it didn't feel like it.
http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/07/auburn_picked_to_finish_xxth_sec_west_media.html

I think it goes without saying that we were a pick six away from most people considering last year a "successful season." I wonder what would have happened that afternoon in Athens had we ran a formation of JF3 under center surrounded by combinations of Cox, Stove, Martin, Kerryon, and Truitt, optioning it every play.

(Michigan did sort of underperform expectations--I think they were the best team in the nation over the first half of the season, but man, talk about a team with bad luck.)

I have no complaints with this at all. Some fans are wary of being ranked highly, and I get that being too high puts a lot of pressure on the team. However, being too low can hinder you moving up as well (see 2004). 

I think this is the sweet spot. Remember, we control our own destiny!

Archived