Stephen Davis Jr. leaves South Carolina

johnnyAU

I guess I'm too far removed to understand what's been going on with Davis Jr.  Early on he seemed like a valuable addition and could have added depth at RB or safety at Auburn.  When he left for South Carolina, I figured he either just bonded with Muschamp and T.Rob or thought he'd find more immediate playing time with the Gamecocks.  Now that he's leaving again, I know I have to be missing some of the story. 

Anyone thoughts on the matter?

My WAG (That's Wild Azz Guess) is grades. For starters he was a very late qualifier. Then he has seemed to have the physical ability to contribute but something else interfered. If it's not academics, I don't know what else it could be.

Personal responsibility.  I remember when I got reamed for bringing it up. Now two schools in a row. Although, I imagine he probably left due to inability to move up the depth chart.

56 minutes ago, DAG said:

Personal responsibility.  I remember when I got reamed for bringing it up. Now two schools in a row. Although, I imagine he probably left due to inability to move up the depth chart.

Didn't he have to sit out this year anyway? Pray that he gets his life on track soon. 

8 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Didn't he have to sit out this year anyway? Pray that he gets his life on track soon. 

Yep. He was coming on as a walk on, but my folks down at South Carolina are "claiming" it wasn't due to academia, but the fact that they were deep in the backfield.  Who knows...

Maybe he has a "my daddy is" complex and feels he is intitled and that got him by in high school until it was SAT / ACT time and now he got hit with the fact college professors don't care who you are and one must study. 

I actually don't think it was grades, but something is way screwed up with this kid.  Was a very late add for us in the 2016 recruiting cycle, then didn't want to play and wanted to re-hab his injury.  Imma go out on a limb and say he doesn't really want to play college football.  It's not for everybody and there are plenty of folks that would kill for the just the chance.  Doesn't seem to have many friends or to make friends easily either.  Presuming they can afford college, he prolly just needs to get his degree and get out of daddy's shadow.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

If he's lucky, some 1AA team will take him.

On 3/11/2016 at 8:59 PM, auburn4ever said:

Come on Stephen Davis Jr, the Auburn Family is waiting to welcome you with loving arms wide open.

South Carolina newspapers are reporting a source close to him said he just lost passion for playing football. 

15 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

South Carolina newspapers are reporting a source close to him said he just lost passion for playing football. 

I can see that as a possibility.  The intensity and commitment that come with football at this level probably make it easy to lose passion for it, especially if it might have been questionable in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I can see that as a possibility.  The intensity and commitment that come with football at this level probably make it easy to lose passion for it, especially if it might have been questionable in the first place.

Even more so when constantly in the shadow of a father who did great things.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Even more so when constantly in the shadow of a father who did great things.

That definitely increases the pressure to succeed, where there is already plenty of pressure.

Hate he wasn't able to stick it out. Would have loved having his athletic ability as a possible asset in the secondary this year and next. But playing football is hard and college football is really hard. I can certainly understand it is not for everyone. Hope he finds something he enjoys to do with his life

6 hours ago, API said:

I actually don't think it was grades, but something is way screwed up with this kid.  Was a very late add for us in the 2016 recruiting cycle, then didn't want to play and wanted to re-hab his injury.  Imma go out on a limb and say he doesn't really want to play college football.  It's not for everybody and there are plenty of folks that would kill for the just the chance.  Doesn't seem to have many friends or to make friends easily either.  Presuming they can afford college, he prolly just needs to get his degree and get out of daddy's shadow.

Vindication is such a cool word.  Hey, I'm not right that much, so when I am, Imma gonna remember it.

If you're playing for parents and not for yourself, I think the requirements of P5 level football would make you miserable.  Hope he gets his degree and goes on to success off the field.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

If you're playing for parents and not for yourself, I think the requirements of P5 level football would make you miserable.  Hope he gets his degree and goes on to success off the field.

I feel the same way. Go on,  Graduate and make a name for yourself in the business world.

Archived