ESPN pulls announcer from UVA game because his name is Robert Lee

Auburnfan91

UPDATE: ESPN ISSUES OFFICIAL STATEMENT:

“We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name. In that moment it felt right to all parties. It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue.”

In a story that seems made for The Onion, but is actually true, according to multiple Outkick fans inside ESPN MSESPN decided to pull an Asian college football announcer named Robert Lee off the William and Mary at University of Virginia college football game because they were concerned that having an ASIAN FOOTBALL ANNOUNCER NAMED ROBERT LEE would be offensive to some viewers.

Did I mention that Robert Lee is Asian?

Is this even real life anymore? This might even be worse than MSESPN apologizing for the fantasy football slave draft a couple of weeks ago.

To avoid offending left wing idiots Robert Lee, the Asian college football announcer, not the Confederate General who died in 1870 and shares a name with him, was switched to the Youngstown State at Pittsburgh game and Dave Weekley will now call the William and Mary at University of Virginia game.

Read more at: https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/msespn-pulls-asian-announcer-named-robert-lee-off-uva-game-avoid-offending-idiots/

Unreal........

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, homersapien said:

Based on the evidence provided, I can only conclude you guys really want to believe this.  :no:

Well, ESPN did confirm it... 

11 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name. In that moment it felt right to all parties. It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue.”

Not that the Today Show is a good source, but they had this story on their 7:45 segment with official statements from ESPN.  

Something from FOX

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/08/22/espn-pulls-asian-american-announcer-from-virginia-football-game-because-has-confederate-generals-name.html

13 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

(ESPN STATEMENT)

“We collectively made the decision with Robert to switch games as the tragic events in Charlottesville were unfolding, simply because of the coincidence of his name. In that moment it felt right to all parties. It’s a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and we regret that who calls play by play for a football game has become an issue.”

I love this.  

Yeah, it is a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and has become an issue.  

But then, YOU are the one who made it a topic and an issue.

You can tell they understand it was a stupid decision, they just won't admit it - "In that moment it felt right to all parties".    Yeah, in that moment......

I love this.  

Yeah, it is a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and has become and issue.  

And I'm sure some low level scrub on the announcing team is going to tell his bosses they're being ridiculous.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

And I'm sure some low level scrub on the announcing team is going to tell his bosses they're being ridiculous.

Oh, I think the bosses are going to get the message.  In the worst possible way.  Ridicule.

This isn't about political correctness or fear of people getting offended. ESPN said they asked to switch because they didn't want their announcer no one really knows to suddenly become an internet joke.

ESPN said:

"It was about the reasonable possibility that because of his name he would be subjected to memes and jokes and who knows what else."

Which isn't really an unreasonable fear.

8 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

This isn't about political correctness or fear of people getting offended. ESPN said they asked to switch because they didn't want their announcer no one really knows to suddenly become an internet joke.

Which isn't really an unreasonable fear.

Irony, huh?

12 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Irony, huh?

Yeah, I figure they hoped nobody would notice Lee was originally assigned the UVA game. Clay Travis did.

EDIT: Or it was leaked to him by some sh*tlord in ESPN's ranks.

I love this.  

Yeah, it is a shame that this is even a topic of conversation and has become and issue.  

Yet another Homey-ism....liberal wet dream gets out of control; blames the people that point out liberal wet dreams are out of control.  and the guy is an Asian American...nd it's not even Robert "E" Lee...just Robert Lee.  What if he calls himself Bobby?  Would that appease the PC-gods?  How about he just takes a stage name...what about Nathan Forrest...he could call himself Nat?  What about Jeb Stuart?  he could call himself Stu....I've got it; PGT Beauregard...he could call himself Pierre....folks would think he's French!...so many possibilities.  One thing you guys got to think thru though is  "Li" is the #2 Chinese surname...so that means there are about 500m Chinese named "Li"...does that mean none of them can ever be sideline reporters?  That seems like a clear case for the EEOC...I hate it when liberal wet dreams collide.

Personally I think the real tragedy here is why anyone thinks we need sideline reporters....has anyone ever heard an intelligent thing come from a sideline reporters mouth?  You have to admit though, it's comedy gold to see them interview Saban either coming out or going in at the half.   

5 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Yet another Homey-ism....liberal wet dream gets out of control; blames the people that point out liberal wet dreams are out of control.  and the guy is an Asian American...nd it's not even Robert "E" Lee...just Robert Lee.  What if he calls himself Bobby?  Would that appease the PC-gods?  How about he just takes a stage name...what about Nathan Forrest...he could call himself Nat?  What about Jeb Stuart?  he could call himself Stu....I've got it; PGT Beauregard...he could call himself Pierre....folks would think he's French!...so many possibilities.  One thing you guys got to think thru though is  "Li" is the #2 Chinese surname...so that means there are about 500m Chinese named "Li"...does that mean none of them can ever be sideline reporters?  That seems like a clear case for the EEOC...I hate it when liberal wet dreams collide.

Personally I think the real tragedy here is why anyone thinks we need sideline reporters....has anyone ever heard an intelligent thing come from a sideline reporters mouth?  You have to admit though, it's comedy gold to see them interview Saban either coming out or going in at the half.   

Sorry,  but that's an incoherent response to my post. :dunno:  

But it does sound typical of you - all angry and such.

5 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

homer was putting the blame on ESPN.  You might want to re-calibrate that knee-jerk autoreply sensor.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

homer was putting the blame on ESPN.  You might want to re-calibrate that knee-jerk autoreply sensor.

Really?  Tell me how I missed that...here was Homey's quote in response to '91.... "But then, YOU are the one who made it a topic and an issue."  and that was aimed at ESPN?  Really?

My middle name is Lee.     I am ashamed and embarrassed for the suffering it may cause others.     I am officially changing it to Oprah.

9 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Really?  Tell me how I missed that...here was Homey's quote in response to '91.... "But then, YOU are the one who made it a topic and an issue."  and that was aimed at ESPN?  Really?

Yes, really.

Because like I said, you didn't read closely.  Try it again.  homer was responding to a quote from ESPN.

And that was just a couple of posts after he'd already said ESPN looks really stupid over this.

10 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I was responding to ESPN's statement which 91 had included in his post.   

Thought that was obvious.  

Archived