ESPN pulls announcer from UVA game because his name is Robert Lee

Auburnfan91

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw 3 pages on this and was a little worried Id click on the link and find a bunch of people argueing....well, I did!...Its weird since we all seem to be in agreeance on the subject....yet....there's...... still an argument!! LOL!

12 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

I saw 3 pages on this and was a little worried Id click on the link and find a bunch of people argueing....well, I did!...Its weird since we all seem to be in agreeance on the subject....yet....there's...... still an argument!! LOL!

You noticed huh?

Obviouly Japan and Argo had some really witty material :-\ they just had to force out.  

I did, I picked up what you put down!  No offense to anyone though...Im one of the worst of misreading, misunderstanding or just totally flopping up some pretty much unfloppable posts! LOL

Dang... ESPN is constantly trying to top ESPN in dumb things done or said.

Anyone think they still wonder why their revenue is plummeting?

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Dang... ESPN is constantly trying to top ESPN in dumb things done or said.

Anyone think they still wonder why their revenue is plummeting?

Same as everyone else. Cord cutters. Live sports is one of the hardest things to access for them, so ESPN is actually one of the few things keeping the cable/satellite model treading water. 

20 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Same as everyone else. Cord cutters. Live sports is one of the hardest things to access for them, so ESPN is actually one of the few things keeping the cable/satellite model treading water. 

Even ESPN will have a $5 per month streaming service.  I might pay $6 for a games only package with no sports talk and analysis shows. 

5 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

It's not that hard. They're just not interested enough in paying like 5 dollars extra for the sports package 

I have sling tv on my Roku with a cheap sports package added on.

I know for sure I have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN 3, SEC NETWORK, PAC 12 network, BeIn sports, NFL Redzone, and the NFL network and probably others all for less than a total of 40 a month. The options are there. I used to have PlayStation Vue as well and there were plenty of options available on that platform as well. 

The hardest thing to get is live "trending" entertainment on ABC or Fox or the like. There are apps for ABC and such for viewing TV shows like Grays Anatomy but it doesn't help if you want to see live entertainment.

If Sling TV was 100% Ala Carte TV, they'd let me pick my preferred 20 channels or so instead of offering different lineups and forcing to choose the lineup that's most beneficial to me. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

It's not that hard. They're just not interested enough in paying like 5 dollars extra for the sports package 

I know for sure I have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN 3, SEC NETWORK, PAC 12 network, BeIn sports, NFL Redzone, and the NFL network and probably others all for less than a total of 40 a month. The options are there. I used to have PlayStation Vue as well and there were plenty of options available on that platform as well. 

The hardest thing to get is live "trending" entertainment on ABC or Fox or the like. There are apps for ABC and such for viewing TV shows like Grays Anatomy but it doesn't help if you want to see live entertainment.

If Sling TV was 100% Ala Carte TV, they'd let me pick my preferred 20 channels or so instead of offering different lineups and forcing to choose the lineup that's most beneficial to me. 

Take a look at Hulu Live TV.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Take a look at Hulu Live TV.

As a complement or can it stand alone? I have to keep my sports channels or I'll go crazy. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

As a complement or can it stand alone? I have to keep my sports channels or I'll go crazy. 

It is an add on to regular Hulu service.  Not exactly cheap, but it has sports channels too.  I was mostly mentioning it for ABC and such.

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

13 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

It is an add on to regular Hulu service.  Not exactly cheap, but it has sports channels too.  I was mostly mentioning it for ABC and such.

https://www.hulu.com/live-tv

Good recommendation. It looks like it can stand alone for my live streaming needs.

It has Disney Junior, Sec Network, the family of ESPN channels, and the TV mainstays like ABC and NBC. That's huge. 

Nevermind. I put in my zipcode and see that ABC AND NBC are still On Demand only. Frick.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Good recommendation. It looks like it can stand alone for my live streaming needs.

It has Disney Junior, Sec Network, the family of ESPN channels, and the TV mainstays like ABC and NBC. That's huge. 

If it works out as a service, and they push it hard, it could really shake up the landscape.  Someone will eventually get a Plex plugin working for it, and then I will have a DVR.

While $40/mo. is not a lot and certainly better than cable, there's something galling about paying for a lot of stuff you don't really want in order to get the one thing you do - college sports. It  just grates against my cheap nature. It makes me think I am paying extra for stuff I don't want.  I really need to get over that.  It's not really logical.

43 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nevermind. I put in my zipcode and see that ABC AND NBC are still On Demand only. Frick.

Why not use an broadcast antenna?

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Why not use an broadcast antenna?

I have a friend who got a cheap $15-$20 antenna from amazon I believe. He has it sitting in his window with a car port and 4 great big pecan trees, and I was blown away how clear the pictures were!  They do have some issues where you have to adjust the antenna, but Im pretty sure, if you invested in a better one and maybe installed higher up and in a more clear view, you probably wouldn't have any issues at all . 

Just now, SaturdayGT said:

I have a friend who got a cheap $15-$20 antenna from amazon I believe. He has it sitting in his window with a car port and 4 great big pecan trees, and I was blown away how clear the pictures were!  They do have some issues where you have to adjust the antenna, but Im pretty sure, if you invested in a better one and maybe installed higher up and in a more clear view, you probably wouldn't have any issues at all . 

Most shows are broadcast in HD.

We have an antenna on the roof with a rotator and get pretty much all the TV we want, except for sports.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Most shows are broadcast in HD.

We have an antenna on the roof with a rotator and get pretty much all the TV we want, except for sports.

I guess I knew they were in HD.....but seeing it with my own eyes in actual HD kinda shocked me lol!  I know one antenna not to get...I tried a $50 dollar one that you were supposed to be able to hide behind a wall picture....I couldn't get anything. Right now, Ive got a pretty good deal with Charter Cable, but I may later invest in a good quality roof antenna.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

While $40/mo. is not a lot and certainly better than cable, there's something about paying for a lot of stuff you don't really want in order to get the one thing you do - college sports. It  just grates against my cheap nature. It makes me think I am paying extra for stuff I don't want.  I really need to get over that.  It's not really logical.

Aside from college football, I really have little need for it either.  It does seem like a fantastic opportunity to make cord cutters out of more people.  The only currently running show that I watch is the Expanse, and I just buy it from Amazon.  I have no problem waiting for anything else to crop up on Amazon Prime, standard Hulu, or Netflix.  The only thing on any major network that I am interested in is Star Trek: Discovery (assuming they do not ruin it), and I think it will be streaming only.

6 hours ago, SaturdayGT said:

I guess I knew they were in HD.....but seeing it with my own eyes in actual HD kinda shocked me lol!  I know one antenna not to get...I tried a $50 dollar one that you were supposed to be able to hide behind a wall picture....I couldn't get anything. Right now, Ive got a pretty good deal with Charter Cable, but I may later invest in a good quality roof antenna.

Could you elaborate on that?

Charter is all that's available to me, but I wouldn't describe what they've offered me as a "good deal". About 200$ a month for a landline I don't use, the cheapest cable package and standard internet.

Though it does give me most of the channels I care about (college sports) I'd have to up it by about another 100$ if I wanted the NFL network.

14 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

I'd have to up it by about another 100$ if I wanted the NFL network.

NFL Network or NFL Sunday Ticket? 

10 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Not so easy that a lot of consumers are ready to take the plunge.

A la carte is the future. ESPN finds themselves tethered to a dying model, and they are losing money as a result, but they aren't losing money due to their editorial work shifting left.

Archived