Clint Myers Resigns

Aug. 23, 2017

AUBURN, Ala. - Clint Myers will retire as head coach of Auburn's softball team. Myers arrived in Auburn in 2013 and compiled a record of 205-54-1, leading the team to Southeastern Conference Tournament Championships in 2015 and 2016 as well as back-to-back College World Series appearances. Since his appointment, Auburn has broken 23 records, including 17 on offense. Under Myers, Auburn has placed four student-athletes on Academic All-America and five Academic All-District lists. In 2016, the Tigers had 24 honorees on the Academic All-SEC list.

"After 40 years of coaching and reflecting on the importance of spending quality time with my wife, my children, and my grandchildren, I have decided to retire from a sport that I love dearly and which has brought so much joy to me,” Myers said. "I have had the chance to coach many great student-athletes. I have seen them grow to be outstanding contributors to society. My time in coaching has been a source of great pride. I appreciate the opportunity to coach at Auburn and am proud of our successes. I know the program has a bright future. The community, and group of fans have been incredible and I have truly appreciated their support. Auburn is a special place.”

"I am very proud of the many great accomplishments our student-athletes have achieved during Coach Myers tenure at Auburn,” Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs said. "The foundation for ongoing success is here because of Coach Myers love of Auburn and his desire to see this program reach a level of success that it had never seen before.

"Looking forward, we will continue to support our softball team in every way possible so as to ensure their continued success on and off the field of play."

The search for a new head coach will begin immediately.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/082317aab.html

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wellllllllllllllp it was fun being a great softball school while it lasted.

Wow

Such strange timing. Would not be Auburn without some drama. I cannot wait to hear the real reason about this.

Whoa...never saw that coming......:-\

Softball had become my second favorite sport to watch right up there with basketball. Man this hurts.

One of the better coaches Auburn has hired in any sport in the last 30 years.  Wish him the best and hope someone can pick up somewhat where he left off. 

"Hmmm, this situation is purely reasonable and does not indicate more major underlying issues/scandals in the program"  --nobody right now 

4 minutes ago, fishepa said:

This is so Auburn. Shocking something like this happens. 

anytime we get great at something of significance something goes wrong........... 

Does anybody think we can get a coach half worth his sauce and continue our run? 

I'm feeling pretty down on those odds. 

Just to think we were that close to having a pretty well balanced sports program with a 3 year Pearl/ 5 year Malzahn/ and Myers which was already elite. 

I can't decide if I'm more sad or more angry. Sure didn't sound earlier this summer when Coach Myers was talking about going about teaching hitting differently that he was planning to retire. After the mess with Corey, Carlee transferring, lots of talk about things being handled badly...  well this news after Coach Myers did NOT sound like he planned to leave just raises again the sense that something went horribly wrong in the running of the program. And here we have this great recruiting class...  Sigh...

Come on Jay! We need a great hire here!!

This has been a strange season and off season for softball.  I wonder if Casey Myers is a candidate?  With the momentum created by Coach Myers and the roster coming back, we should be able to bring a proven winner in to carry on.  Good luck Coach Myers and War Eagle!!

1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

"Hmmm, this situation is purely reasonable and does not indicate more major underlying issues/scandals in the program"  --nobody right now 

Would not say that quite yet....this was a season of unanswered questions.....and IMO...this is another one.......secrets....:-\

Perhaps Coach Myers found out why his son Casey really left Auburn?  Or wasn't allowed to bring him back?  Illness?  Very strange. 

Seems strange. Wonder what the reason really is?

Only JJ hire that has exceeded expectations so far.

Sadly, saw this coming. First his son is forced out for reasons unspoken. Then a star player leaves the program for a school with huge Title IX issues. I can't help but think these are all episodes in the same story. I wouldn't hold out hope for any Myers taking the reigns.

Archived