Clint Myers Resigns

Myers has made AU one of the elite programs.......

JJ should be able to attract another winner to this sport....no reason to skip a beat but need to move quickly.    Wonder  how much notice JJ got before the announcement.?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Myers has made AU one of the elite programs.......

JJ should be able to attract another winner to this sport....no reason to skip a beat but need to move quickly.    Wonder  how much notice JJ got before the announcement.?

The only one who would MAYBE be a upgrade is gasso and she is not coming so who? 

Man this sucks. I knew it would happen soon but was thinking we would have a good run this year with all this talent on the roster. 

There are a lot of good teams out there in softball so not giving up hope that we can get a good one.  Jay did put a good bit of money into the program in recent years.  The fans proved we would support the team which will make us a good draw. 

I really really hope the class sticks, especially the Snow sisters.  They clearly came because of the relationship with Clint.  With the transfer rules not nearly as strict as football, girls could leave and play for their new team basically right away. 

Just now, AUBwins said:

I wonder if Carlee knew. ..

I THINK when she left it was said she was just disgusted with how everything went down this past season and how everything was handled.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I THINK when she left it was said she was just disgusted with how everything went down this past season and how everything was handled.

Wish we knew what it was that went down.

btw, our buddy Marcelo is saying that 2 days ago Myers said he would be here another 5 years.

Just now, AUDevil said:

Wish we knew what it was that went down.

btw, our buddy Marcelo is saying that 2 days ago Myers said he would be here another 5 years.

Yup... believe he agreed to a contract extension through 2023 a month or so ago. 

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The only one who would MAYBE be a upgrade is gasso and she is not coming so who? 

Not saying we get an upgrade....but some good coaches out playing in small parks before small crowds with small budgets.    AU is near to top of the heap right now in my view. As noted, some serious money spent on the program and Myers made it pay off and there is some good talent here..   

I bet a couple of the guys on here who follow the game more closely than me could give you a few good prospects.  I'm optimistic about getting a good replacement.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Does anybody think we can get a coach half worth his sauce and continue our run? 

I'm feeling pretty down on those odds. 

Just to think we were that close to having a pretty well balanced sports program with a 3 year Pearl/ 5 year Malzahn/ and Myers which was already elite. 

I think Coach has shown we can be a national power. We pay as well as anybody in the nation. We are putting money into the softball program. I don't see any reason why we can't bring in a solid HC that is capable of keeping things going in the right direction.

One name I would sign off on immediately is Lotief from UL Lafayette.  But I don't think he would come.  They take good care of him there, and they do a pretty good job getting to the postseason anyways being a threat to make the WS every year. However the small conference usually gets them a high seed and a tougher road.  

25 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I wonder if Carlee knew. ..

I think it's more that her leaving was a symptom of a bigger issue. Whether Auburn felt they needed to distance themselves, or Clint was disappointed with how Auburn handled the situation, I think it all leads back to Corey.

One coach who should get a call is Mickey Dean at James Madison University.  He has done wonders with two small schools, Radford and more recently at James Madison.  He has turned them into perennial contenders and have dealt us fits the past two seasons. 

14 minutes ago, fredst said:

AU softball: 

IMG_2165.GIF

NOT.....

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

NOT.....

I sure hope not. But this just looks bad, I have little confidence in JJ to make another good hire, and sustained success in any program (with the notable exception of swimming/diving) is not Auburn's m.o. The talent is there though...for now.

5 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Wow.  Next . . . how many of our #2 national recruiting class are going to transfer?

Now that school has started, I think they are locked in with us for this year?

4 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Now that school has started, I think they are locked in with us for this year?

maybe just this semester? how does this work?

8 hours ago, around4ever said:

One coach who should get a call is Mickey Dean at James Madison University.  He has done wonders with two small schools, Radford and more recently at James Madison.  He has turned them into perennial contenders and have dealt us fits the past two seasons. 

He is absolutely my first choice.  He's done a terrific job at some really hard to win places.  Imagine what he could do at Auburn with the talent we have right now.   I would love to get him.

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

One name I would sign off on immediately is Lotief from UL Lafayette.  But I don't think he would come.  They take good care of him there, and they do a pretty good job getting to the postseason anyways being a threat to make the WS every year. However the small conference usually gets them a high seed and a tougher road.  

If we call this person,  they need to answer the phone. Doesn't matter if they are taken care of at UL Lafayette, AU is a huge step higher with way greater potential for funding, recruiting and facilities.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

maybe just this semester? how does this work?

The last time this was discussed, if memory serves, softball players can transfer once without sitting out a year. If that's all there is to it with no other quirky rules, then all of them could depart for other places this weekend. Recruits and returning players as well.

9 hours ago, AUBwins said:

He has health issues.  I don't recall what but he carries an oxygen tank at all times. I'm not sure he would want the hassle of moving and adjusting to a new life. He is an excellent coach, though. 

9 hours ago, fredst said:

I sure hope not. But this just looks bad, I have little confidence in JJ to make another good hire, and sustained success in any program (with the notable exception of swimming/diving) is not Auburn's m.o. The talent is there though...for now.

Looks Bad?  I get this was unexpected and the timing is not normal, but let's hold off on judgment until we know why.  With the Corey (or was it Casey) leaving, Carlee transfer and "rumor" that things did not go well - if it is related to that, then I agree - looks bad and is bad.  But until we know why he suddenly decided to retire, let's wait and make sure it is not health or family health issue.

I will get my season tickets again this year and support our Tigers.  I hope we get a top tier coach, but my guess is JJ will bring in a younger, succesful coach but not a big name.  I think he will do like he did in getting Gus, a young up and coming that will come and stay for awhile. I like WarTiger recommendation from JMU (if we could get him and that pitcher - WOW), and I think Becky Clark at South Alabama might get a call as well.

Tough news to wake up to.  I hope we get another good coach and it will not take long.  I pray it's not health issues for Clint.

Archived