Clint Myers Resigns

There's been talk on several message boards that ESPN has had reporters down here since the season ended digging around the program for a story they're trying to write/run. My guess is ESPN found enough to run a story that makes Corey, Clint, and Auburn look really bad, and Clint "resigned" because of it. I believe this could get really ugly if some of the many rumors surrounding this team are corroborated by sources and broadcast on a national platform. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

Looks Bad?  I get this was unexpected and the timing is not normal, but let's hold off on judgment until we know why.  With the Corey (or was it Casey) leaving, Carlee transfer and "rumor" that things did not go well - if it is related to that, then I agree - looks bad and is bad.  But until we know why he suddenly decided to retire, let's wait and make sure it is not health or family health issue.

I will get my season tickets again this year and support our Tigers.  I hope we get a top tier coach, but my guess is JJ will bring in a younger, succesful coach but not a big name.  I think he will do like he did in getting Gus, a young up and coming that will come and stay for awhile. I like WarTiger recommendation from JMU (if we could get him and that pitcher - WOW), and I think Becky Clark at South Alabama might get a call as well.

No judgment but if you think the optics of what has gone on with softball over the past 6 months haven't been bad I'm not sure what it would take to call it that. I'm still hoping for a good hire and continued softball success.

12 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

WELL JAY...TIME TO EARN YOUR PAY...

Maybe he'll do as good a job with this hire as the swimming hire after running off Marsh.

29 minutes ago, boomstick said:

There's been talk on several message boards that ESPN has had reporters down here since the season ended digging around the program for a story they're trying to write/run. My guess is ESPN found enough to run a story that makes Corey, Clint, and Auburn look really bad, and Clint "resigned" because of it. I believe this could get really ugly if some of the many rumors surrounding this team are corroborated by sources and broadcast on a national platform. 

Sad if true.

Just now, wareagleguy said:

Sad if true.

Indeed, but I think a lot of this could've been avoided last fall when things first popped up or before Clint ever took the job by not allowing him to hire Corey. 

7 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Maybe he'll do as good a job with this hire as the swimming hire after running off Marsh.

the thing is he actually did do a good job with the guy RIGHT after marsh. Hiring Richard Quick. It was after he died from cancer that he made the wrong call.

42 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Something does not feel right about this.  I'm not buying he just all of sudden decided to retire after just signing an extension.  I really hate this for Auburn because I don't know how he will be replaced.  

And as for ESPN, they're always looking for dirt on Auburn (remember 2010/Cam).  You won't see them doing the same to bammer or their other SEC favorites.  But with that said, if the Myers family is innocent of whatever accusations, they wouldn't have to worry about the digging.

22 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

Something does not feel right about this.  I'm not buying he just all of sudden decided to retire after just signing an extension.  I really hate this for Auburn because I don't know how he will be replaced.  

And as for ESPN, they're always looking for dirt on Auburn (remember 2010/Cam).  You won't see them doing the same to bammer or their other SEC favorites.  But with that said, if the Myers family is innocent of whatever accusations, they wouldn't have to worry about the digging.

The news about OTL running a story today makes the Myers "retirement" make more sense to me. I think the AD got wind of what was coming out and made a decision to to continue on with Myers. 

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

With a niece as a D1 prospect, sister/AU grad tells me his reputation was not good.

whose rep was not good? CLint Meyers? Now that's the FIRST i heard of that...

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Indeed, but I think a lot of this could've been avoided last fall when things first popped up or before Clint ever took the job by not allowing him to hire Corey. 

I'm confused. Why would Clint not be allowed to hire Corey when he came to AU? Corey's troubles started evidently last year, if the story of his affair(s) was true. That would be 4 years after he was hired by his dad...

I just thought of another player that left around the time Corey Meyer resigned. Anyone know if Emily Spain is coming back? Supposedly she took a leave of absence the rest of the year...

46 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Outside the Lines is running a story about this on ESPN at noon today. 

Thanks for the head's up. Is that noon EST or CST? 

26 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I'm confused. Why would Clint not be allowed to hire Corey when he came to AU? Corey's troubles started evidently last year, if the story of his affair(s) was true. That would be 4 years after he was hired by his dad...

A number of places don't allow hiring family members (no nepotism). Any other assistant coach who had an affair with a player would likely have been fired forthwith. But he doesn't fire his son and a bad situation gets worse and worse.

4 hours ago, TigerTennis80 said:

A number of places don't allow hiring family members (no nepotism). Any other assistant coach who had an affair with a player would likely have been fired forthwith. But he doesn't fire his son and a bad situation gets worse and worse.

I understand the nepotism issue. leave politics out of it

But it is strange that Clint's son resigns in March...and after the season is over..Clint is offered an extension..accepts...and NOW quits? If it had gotten worse and worse...there would not have been talks and agreements to extend in July...

I told everyone a couple months ago that things in the program were not going well, but I was making stuff up and it was a stretch what I was saying........SMH

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I just thought of another player that left around the time Corey Meyer resigned. Anyone know if Emily Spain is coming back? Supposedly she took a leave of absence the rest of the year...

No I do believe she will be back. 

32 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

Schools allow coaches to hire family members when the schools are desperate for a hire.  Aka Tech Tech for Bobby Knight and UAT for Mike Price. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Nepotism. Had Clint not been allowed to hire Corey because of nepotism laws, this situation wouldn't have happened here. 

1 minute ago, cptau said:

Schools allow coaches to hire family members when the schools are desperate for a hire.  Aka Tech Tech for Bobby Knight and UAT for Mike Price. 

sorry, I never thought Auburn was in a desperate mode to hire Meyers. It was not a major sport we are dealing with here.

I think that it simply was a special case where a well known, highly successful coach could be hired at AU and the coaches son was working in Alabama at the time. It seemed to be a no brainer to allow Meyers to bring his sons on...

It was never a desperate situation...

13 hours ago, around4ever said:

One coach who should get a call is Mickey Dean at James Madison University.  He has done wonders with two small schools, Radford and more recently at James Madison.  He has turned them into perennial contenders and have dealt us fits the past two seasons. 

I hadn't thought of him.  That would be a good choice.  Gasso at OU isn't a realistic option, but what about her pitching coach, MELYSSA LOMBARDI.  She's learned first hand how to run a national power.

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

sorry, I never thought Auburn was in a desperate mode to hire Meyers. It was not a major sport we are dealing with here.

I think that it simply was a special case where a well known, highly successful coach could be hired at AU and the coaches son was working in Alabama at the time. It seemed to be a no brainer to allow Meyers to bring his sons on...

It was never a desperate situation...

No, but Tech got knight and his son later took over.   Who knows what UAT agreed to.  The board even wanted to keep Price until the President threatened to resign.  True desperation   

Auburn allowed myer to hire his sons, but I also doubt they agreed upfront to allow a son to succeed him.  Not coming to an agreement on that over the years could be part of this.   More likely it's health related or a scandal 

Archived