Auburn Football All-Access Podcast Episode 148 (RPO's)..........

JMR

From Eagle 5: "JR and I were ECSTATIC to again bring our own Coach Hunter Adams (aka "Hunter48") on our podcast show! And that's not the layup you may think, as Hunter is working with his fellow Stanhope-Elmore (6A) coaches to get the boys ready for the 2017 season."

You'll definitely want to indulge in this show, as I did what I could to serve up Q's for both Coach Ray and Coach Adams about the 2017 Release of Auburn offense, which we all hope will be the brilliant marriage of the often devastating Gus Malzahn ground game and the Chip Lindsey RPO system.

https://imsva91-ctp.trendmicro.com:...c781-7433cc26b904e70e359fbb30174e531a079b3fa0

Details:

When defensive minds like Coach Nick Saban and Coach Kirby Smart pronounce it a waste of time to work to scheme to try to stop the vaunted “RPO” (run-pass option) attacks of the day, then it becomes difficult for Auburn fans not to be upbeat about the possibilities with the 2017 AU offense under new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

So as the 2017 season is upon us, for both serious and casual fan, what exactly are the tenets of the recent RPO attack, and how might it look when melded with Gus Malzahn’s often devastating ground game?

59 minutes ago, JMR said:

From Eagle 5: "JR and I were ECSTATIC to again bring our own Coach Hunter Adams (aka "Hunter48") on our podcast show! And that's not the layup you may think, as Hunter is working with his fellow Stanhope-Elmore (6A) coaches to get the boys ready for the 2017 season."

You'll definitely want to indulge in this show, as I did what I could to serve up Q's for both Coach Ray and Coach Adams about the 2017 Release of Auburn offense, which we all hope will be the brilliant marriage of the often devastating Gus Malzahn ground game and the Chip Lindsey RPO system.

https://imsva91-ctp.trendmicro.com:...c781-7433cc26b904e70e359fbb30174e531a079b3fa0

Details:

When defensive minds like Coach Nick Saban and Coach Kirby Smart pronounce it a waste of time to work to scheme to try to stop the vaunted “RPO” (run-pass option) attacks of the day, then it becomes difficult for Auburn fans not to be upbeat about the possibilities with the 2017 AU offense under new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

So as the 2017 season is upon us, for both serious and casual fan, what exactly are the tenets of the recent RPO attack, and how might it look when melded with Gus Malzahn’s often devastating ground game?

Coach Ray... Loved the new podcast.  Loved coach Adams input as well.

Only thing is Saban and Smart are saying those outlandish things is because they want the rules changed to reduce the blocking downfield from 3 yards to 1 on the RPO

Agree, corch.  Surprised they haven't gotten that changed already. No doubt they will, and we need to make hay while we can!

4 hours ago, JMR said:

Details:

First week I have had a chance to listen but WOW.  I am a huge fan now.  Love the deep dive into this and listening to the 2 coaches talk in depth about all of this.  Great job!

22 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

First week I have had a chance to listen but WOW.  I am a huge fan now.  Love the deep dive into this and listening to the 2 coaches talk in depth about all of this.  Great job!

Thanks, my friend!  I greatly enjoyed facilitating the banter with Coach Ray and Coach Adams!  E5

59 minutes ago, Eagle5 said:

Thanks, my friend!  I greatly enjoyed facilitating the banter with Coach Ray and Coach Adams!  E5

Like you said in the cast, I know some fans don't want to get off in the weeds of the X's & O's like that.  But man that is right up my alley.  It is so great to listen to and think about how they see things vs the avg fan.  It also shows how much we as fans think we know, but when you listen to real coaches you can see that they have probably forgotten more about the game of football than most of us will ever understand.

Thanks again and WDE!!!

1 hour ago, Eagle5 said:

Would love Coach Adams to post on here more. He has a lot of knowledge & insight.

26 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Would love Coach Adams to post on here more. He has a lot of knowledge & insight.

I'm working on it, E!

Thanks guys!  Good stuff. 

One of the things that I was thinking about concerning the gap responsibilities is that with an RPO you've got multiples of those possibilities. 

For example, you mentioned 8 run gaps and then 8 pass possibilities, making RPOs 16 possibilities.  With the option game, you've got a few of those with the first option, a few more with the 2nd option, and then a few more with the third option.  Which is why option games have been so popular at various times in history.  But eventually defenses learned to scheme with mesh point attacks and other methods  

Now with an RPO, if you read a couple of defenders and run an RPO based on the read option similar to what we did with NM in 2013-14, you've got an astronomical amount of possibilities. 

Stove in the slot with the sweep option, there are a few gaps over on that side, then the handoff to KP option with several possible gaps. Then Stidham keeps it over to the other side (opposite side Stove went). He has some possibilities to run and then all of those passing possibilities including Stove and KP who were also run possibilities.  In that scenario if the defense guesses a particular gap/scenario they can get absolutely roasted with another possibility. The D is forced to maintain guys inside for KP. They must defend sideline to sideline because of all of the sweep/outside run possibilities with Stove and Stidham. AND they have to maintain good coverage all over the field because of all the pass options. 

Its no wonder DCs are going bald and gray.   If run well, that is basically impossible to defend without rule changes.  

3 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Thanks guys!  Good stuff. 

One of the things that I was thinking about concerning the gap responsibilities is that with an RPO you've got multiples of those possibilities. 

For example, you mentioned 8 run gaps and then 8 pass possibilities, making RPOs 16 possibilities.  With the option game, you've got a few of those with the first option, a few more with the 2nd option, and then a few more with the third option.  Which is why option games have been so popular at various times in history.  But eventually defenses learned to scheme with mesh point attacks and other methods  

Now with an RPO, if you read a couple of defenders and run an RPO based on the read option similar to what we did with NM in 2013-14, you've got an astronomical amount of possibilities. 

Stove in the slot with the sweep option, there are a few gaps over on that side, then the handoff to KP option with several possible gaps. Then Stidham keeps it over to the other side (opposite side Stove went). He has some possibilities to run and then all of those passing possibilities including Stove and KP who were also run possibilities.  In that scenario if the defense guesses a particular gap/scenario they can get absolutely roasted with another possibility. The D is forced to maintain guys inside for KP. They must defend sideline to sideline because of all of the sweep/outside run possibilities with Stove and Stidham. AND they have to maintain good coverage all over the field because of all the pass options. 

Its no wonder DCs are going bald and gray.   If run well, that is basically impossible to defend without rule changes.  

It comes down to a pick your poison type scenario.  We try to stop the run and play press man when facing RPO teams.

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It comes down to a pick your poison type scenario.  We try to stop the run and play press man when facing RPO teams.

Yep. Just about every team that I have seen run RPOs have a tendency. It's obvious they would prefer one or the other. With Stidham as our QB and our stable of RBs, we could really play it so evenly that it doesn't matter what the D wants to do, we can exploit them. 

Well, honestly, I am not much of a student of the game, but I was able to understand about 30% of that and that much of it makes me REALLY excited!!! I like the part about the WRs not having to hold their blocks as long. I just think that holding blocks has been a difficulty for our WRs in the past and that is because (I think) it goes against their nature as a WR. Those guys want to be out running and catching the ball. :Sing:This is going to be a fun season, I think.

Finally got a chance to listen on the way back from Florida yesterday as I drove through the remnants of Harvey. Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the in depth discussion. 

One thing I'm curious to see is if we use the pistol formation to further muddy the waters for defenses pre-snap. 

Keep up the good content my friends and War Eagle! 

Archived