Softball Coaching Candidates

Presuming that the AD will be deciding on the next coach he should have known for quite awhile that this would be the outcome and given it some thought prior to last week. I doubt he could have contacted anyone but should have composed a list good candidates to work with. This will be an extremely important hire to get someone who can help heal this team.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/25/2017 at 5:38 PM, saminbama said:

I didn't realize Mike Smith made $200,000 at Ole Miss.  I like him and his pitching coach. If we're going for an assistant, I have some favorites from national powers:

1.  Lombardi at OU.  She's my favorite by far.  Been there 20 years and developed some very good pitchers.

2. Jennifer Rocha from Florida.  She has developed several outstanding pitchers as well and could recruit that area nicely.

3. Lisa Fernandez from UCLA.  Talk about a splash hire.  Probably the greatest fastpitch softball pitcher of all time.

Notice all my choices are pitching coaches.  That's where the game starts.

Great list!  Lombardi has to be the first call.  You offer to double her salary and give her a long term contract.  She is the choice for a number of reasons, but one of those reasons is her having been coached by Clint Myers in Arizona when she was a juco student athlete.  She will be familiar with how this team has been coached in recent years..

I have really began to enjoy the softball at AU, what is the chance that Jacobs fumbles this one? Anyone who has some insight in to this hire please speak up and keep us informed, thanks.

Some here have expressed concerns about hiring an assistant coach.  However, Melissa Lombardi may well be the exception.  Associate Head coach at OU since 2007  and coach there something like 20 yrs.  Making $143,645/year.  Married with 1 child.  Apparently coaches pitchers and catchers.  Interesting that on OU (Sooner Times) message board (June 24, 2017) someone stated "There is message board fodder that Auburn has offered Melyssa Lombardi the Cory Meyer position of head coach in waiting.  Don't know how much teeth there is to it.  But it wouldn't surprise me she's getting attention". 

My vote is for a Jimmy Kolaitis, but I'm admittedly biased. He's been a great offensive coach everywhere he's been, very good recruiter, now has ties to the west coast, and grew up and went to HS in Auburn. I'd take a flyer on him. 

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

My vote is for a Jimmy Kolaitis, but I'm admittedly biased. He's been a great offensive coach everywhere he's been, very good recruiter, now has ties to the west coast, and grew up and went to HS in Auburn. I'd take a flyer on him. 

Interesting.  Looking at his bio, Oregon has put up some impressive offensive numbers.  He might be interested in coming home.

Anyone have more inside knowledge on the South Alabama HC? I know that squad has competed well nationally in recent years. 

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Anyone have more inside knowledge on the South Alabama HC? I know that squad has competed well nationally in recent years. 

Ha! Becky Clark. I coached her in travel ball back in the early 90s.  She was a great catcher and team leader even then.  She wouldn't be a bad choice.  I think we have bigger and better options though.  

Would be nice to hire a tremendous coach that can attract talent like CCM has done recently.  And can put together a great set of skills coaches.

On 8/29/2017 at 6:24 PM, slot canyon said:

Some here have expressed concerns about hiring an assistant coach.  However, Melissa Lombardi may well be the exception.  Associate Head coach at OU since 2007  and coach there something like 20 yrs.  Making $143,645/year.  Married with 1 child.  Apparently coaches pitchers and catchers.  Interesting that on OU (Sooner Times) message board (June 24, 2017) someone stated "There is message board fodder that Auburn has offered Melyssa Lombardi the Cory Meyer position of head coach in waiting.  Don't know how much teeth there is to it.  But it wouldn't surprise me she's getting attention". 

With a side point here that hiring a woman may ease a little of the tension on the team. Could be a win win. 

9 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

With a side point here that hiring a woman may ease a little of the tension on the team. Could be a win win. 

This is probably exactly what Auburn needs.  Lombardi, out of OU, would be an excellent choice.  The possible unsettling of Auburn's AD situation will hinder the hiring process.  I guess we will have to be patient and see how this plays out.

57 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

We need to hire a woman to coach this team.

IS this simply for optics? Like hiring a woman coach counteracts what a bunch of male coaches did to this program?

Not sure i agree. But perception tends to win out even when not needed...

I would think a short timeline would be advantageous to the new recruits we have and for the team, as a whole.  Any guess on such a timeline?

I question whether we can attract a top notch candidate until at least the basics of the situation become known. No person that's a "hot commodity" is going to jump into this situation blindfolded. They would have better options.

35 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I question whether we can attract a top notch candidate until at least the basics of the situation become known. No person that's a "hot commodity" is going to jump into this situation blindfolded. They would have better options.

There may be nothing else to know.  Most of what has been revealed in the last few months are a bunch of unsubstantiated allegations by a player who did not even experience all the things she claims happened..and for which no other player has confirmed.  

I guess the attorneys will report but I expect even that will not satisfy some people. At some point folks are going to have to accept it....there is nothing else....JMO.

" I guess the attorneys will report but I expect even that will not satisfy some people. At some point folks are going to have to accept it....there is nothing else....JMO.

I very much agree, but until the crap-storm dies down it will be hard to sell some prospective coach that's on the outside looking in that there is no "rest of the story" lurking in the shadows.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

" I guess the attorneys will report but I expect even that will not satisfy some people. At some point folks are going to have to accept it....there is nothing else....JMO.

I very much agree, but until the crap-storm dies down it will be hard to sell some prospective coach that's on the outside looking in that there is no "rest of the story" lurking in the shadows.

This may be the cynic in me coming out but I think to a great extent it is AU people keeping this at such a high level of interest.       Some folks seem to see this as the latest and best opportunity to get rid of JJ and I'm thinking they will accept the bad publicity for Auburn as just the "cost of doing business". ...working toward the greater good or whatever.    :dunno: JMO

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

This may be the cynic in me coming out but I think to a great extent it is AU people keeping this at such a high level of interest.       Some folks seem to see this as the latest and best opportunity to get rid of JJ and I'm thinking they will accept the bad publicity for Auburn as just the "cost of doing business". ...working toward the greater good or whatever.    :dunno: JMO

You are correct.  Most of the media, sports sites and message boards have moved on. 

On 8/31/2017 at 1:59 PM, steeleagle said:

IS this simply for optics? Like hiring a woman coach counteracts what a bunch of male coaches did to this program?

Not sure i agree. But perception tends to win out even when not needed...

What a bunch of male coaches did to this program?  That is a bit over dramatic.

Timeline?  I don't know softball, but for the team's sake I have to imagine there is an off-season routine that needs to be organized and players to recruit?  

comments about some names mentioned.  In reading about Lisa Fernandez, the UCLA assistant, she seems to have very strong ties to the Long Beach area.  Jimmy Kolaitis the Oregon assistant, I noticed on his twitter account that he has had tweets with Casey Cooper and Courtney Shea (not about AU softball) and of course has ties with the state of Alabama.

On 9/2/2017 at 7:52 AM, AU64 said:

I think this is the opinion of a large number of folks, myself included

Archived