McGregor-Mayweather

aubearcat

I'm not going to pay to watch it but I really like McGregor (not to win, just as a fighter). Anybody here going to get the fight?

40 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I'm not going to pay to watch it but I really like McGregor (not to win, just as a fighter). Anybody here going to get the fight?

I'm going to a friend's house with others and putting 10 dollars into the pot. I don't understand the point of the fight but I guess it's what the fans want.

This isn't an MMA v boxing match. This is a MMA fighter that is completely raw at boxing trying to box a legendary boxer at his own game. 

Anyone who has watched Floyd knows he is one of the best defensive fighters ever!  He is a duck and run guy and totally frustrates his opponents.  I would not be surprised to see Conor get completely frustrated and revert to UFC style of fighting, which is prohibited for the fight.  Conor may get disqualified.

I have no intentions of paying money to watch what I think will be a clown show.

I can't wait for this to be over.

but I can only hope that a 40 y/o Floyd without power can't keep away from mcgregor and mcgregor KO's him in middle rounds.

if that doesn't happen then it'll be a long boring fight cause my guess is mcgregor won't have legs after mid rounds.

they might just stand there and stare at each other in the 12th 

All of Floyd's fights are boring!  There are some indications that Floyd is not taking this fight seriously and has not trained as he should have.  Time will tell.

McGregor looked lost out there when he couldn't just brawl. Not sure why the bout was called so quick either.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

McGregor looked lost out there when he couldn't just brawl. Not sure why the bout was called so quick either.

It was a good stoppage. McGregor was done. Mayweather was teeing off on him in the 10th. Hell, I'm surprised McGregor got through the 9th. 

Better than the Pacquiao fight, but only because Manny was the better fighter, if that makes sense. In this one, McGregor gassed himself early going ham for the early knockout (which was his best bet), and Mayweather came on hard in the later rounds. Against Pac, Mayweather knew any mistake could result in him lights out on the canvas, so he played it extremely safe the whole fight.

In the end, you couldn't have scripted it any better. Win win for all involved. Mayweather is 50-0, McGregor lost but went 10 rounds and the fight was a stoppage, so he saves faces, and both are hundreds of millions richer. 

I know he was done. He was clearly gassed. He still wasn't knocked out though and McGregor has a hard chin to make it to the round if he wanted to .... the ending punches were actually fairly basic and didn't deliver much damage at all.. 

Glad that's over......the hype was unbelievable and you could not get away from it.....especially ESPN which seemed to have most of their stations running interviews with meaningless and has been celebrities almost all day yesterday.

Just wondering if that fight was the last throes of big time professional boxing?    

39 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I know he was done. He was clearly gassed. He still wasn't knocked out though and McGregor has a hard chin to make it to the round if he wanted to .... the ending punches were actually fairly basic and didn't deliver much damage at all.. 

Oh yeah those punches were doing damage. Mayweather landed a bunch of power punches and McGregor didn't (or couldn't) get his hands up to defend himself. I understand the fans want to see the big knockout, but you were risking tremendous damage to McGregor and the ref did his job and protected him when it was obvious the fight was over. 

The guy was fatigued and was reeling. Protection was offered way too soon though for  a guy with a hard chin that normally takes punches from more powerful MMA fighters with 4 ounce gloves. 

I guess fatigue and stumbling= "Knockout"

31 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The guy was fatigued and was reeling. Protection was offered way too soon though for  a guy with a hard chin that normally takes punches from more powerful MMA fighters with 4 ounce gloves.

They were fighting with 8oz gloves.

Boxers are more prone to brain damage than MMA fighters because of the padded gloves.

A long time ago the gloves used to be thinner or non-existent (bareknuckle) in boxing. With the advent of thicker boxing gloves, the rounds would go longer and the repetitive blows to the head caused more damage, and led to significantly more cases of brain damage.

31 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I guess fatigue and stumbling= "Knockout"

I disagree, of course. That fight was over. Just a matter of how much damage McGregor would have to take. He didn't fight the decision at the time.

If you aren't making an attempt to fight back (throw punches) and are just taking shot after shot for too long, they will stop the fight. McGregor hadn't thrown a punch in 30 seconds, wasn't able to defend himself and there were still 2 minutes to go in the round. This is not much different from MMA. If you can't guard and are getting pummeled, the ref will stop things to protect your well-being.

I know they were fighting with 8 ounce gloves. That's more padding compared to the 4 ounce gloves that McGregor is accustomed to using in the octagon.

Mcgregor wasn't exactly getting pummeled either. Other than one black eye, his face was  relatively clean for a guy that couldn't even lift his hands from fatigue for 2 whole round. The refs shouldn't have acted for McGregor just because McGregor's pride was in the way. 

Yes, the MMA fighters are protected as well. But not to that degree.  They're protected after the opponent is throwing bombs to the face from the mounted position... 

I did  not notice it referred to as such but they used to call it a TKO when a fighter was not able to finish a round and was getting pounded and could not defend himself.  .  

Sounds like that was happened last night?   

8 ounce gloves pretty light.....is that typical for that weight class?  

42 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I did  not notice it referred to as such but they used to call it a TKO when a fighter was not able to finish a round and was getting pounded and could not defend himself.  .  

Sounds like that was happened last night?   

8 ounce gloves pretty light.....is that typical for that weight class?  

It was considered a TKO. McGregor didn't receive much damage though. He was gassed and his back was against the ropes so I guess the ref decided to stop it there. 

8 ounces, if I remember correctly, was a compromise from 10.

• 2 years later...

My guy got a great victory over Cowboy last night. The undercard to the fight was awesome, especially the last fight of the undercard involving Maycee Barber...wow

Archived