Why no one should watch the Mayweather-McGregor fight

Grumps

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/26/16206746/mayweather-mcgregor-fight-saturday-racism-domestic-abuse

"Now this is bigger than a fight, or the supremacy of one sport, or the legacy of a boxer, or the legacy of MMA as a sport. When you look at the racial environment, now it’s black versus white. Now it’s Donald Trump supporters versus people of color."

Who knew?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Grumps said:

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/26/16206746/mayweather-mcgregor-fight-saturday-racism-domestic-abuse

"Now this is bigger than a fight, or the supremacy of one sport, or the legacy of a boxer, or the legacy of MMA as a sport. When you look at the racial environment, now it’s black versus white. Now it’s Donald Trump supporters versus people of color."

Who knew?

In before Homer calls McGregor a racist. 

27 minutes ago, Auburn85 said:

Irony

Seriously?

:dunno:

underlined word(s) 

I dont see any irony in the post.What are you talking about?

How about don't watch the fight because it's a terrible matchup and your money would be going to an admitted beater of women?

Like actual boxing?  Buy the GGG vs Canelo fight next month.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

How about don't watch the fight because it's a terrible matchup and your money would be going to an admitted beater of women?

Like actual boxing?  Buy the GGG vs Canelo fight next month.

I watched two rounds and was bored to tears. 

13 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

It comes on past bedtime. So you're just sleepy. 

Ha, that is true. When the Pac 12 games come on "late" Saturday nights, I can barely make it to halftime.

Just now, Auburn85 said:

Ha, that is true. When the Pac 12 games come on "late" Saturday nights, I can barely make it to halftime.

PAC 12? RME. I'd rather watch paint dry. 

Just now, GiveEmElle said:

Have you heard of the SEC?

Heard of it?  I've been to 10 of the 14 stadiums for AU games (and making it 11 this year with Mizzou).  I also understand that the SEC has exactly one team in the pre-season Top 10.

It's a great conference, but believe it or not, there is really good football being played in other parts of the country.  Maybe you remember AU losing twice last year to non-conference opponents from the ACC and Big 12?  Or Oregon drubbing Tennessee twice recently?  How about Florida State's continued dominance over Florida lately?  What about Wisconsin beating LSU last year?  I love the SEC, but the arrogance of SEC fans is annoying as hell to me.  There's exactly one consistently dominant program in the SEC over the last decade.  The rest of the SEC is playing catch up.

51 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Heard of it?  I've been to 10 of the 14 stadiums for AU games (and making it 11 this year with Mizzou).  I also understand that the SEC has exactly one team in the pre-season Top 10.

It's a great conference, but believe it or not, there is really good football being played in other parts of the country.  Maybe you remember AU losing twice last year to non-conference opponents from the ACC and Big 12?  Or Oregon drubbing Tennessee twice recently?  How about Florida State's continued dominance over Florida lately?  What about Wisconsin beating LSU last year?  I love the SEC, but the arrogance of SEC fans is annoying as hell to me.  There's exactly one consistently dominant program in the SEC over the last decade.  The rest of the SEC is playing catch up.

I'm a Queen when it comes to annoying people. Screw the PAC12. ?

50 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

50 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Maybe you remember AU losing twice last year to non-conference opponents from the ACC and Big 12?

We lost to the national champions only because our coach was an idiot. We lost to Oklahoma because SW, Pettway, and Marcus Davis were hurt.

52 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Or Oregon drubbing Tennessee twice recently?  How about Florida State's continued dominance over Florida lately? 

Why don't you look at the actual statistics, draft picks, money, average recruiting rankings, etc. 

Pac 12 football is boring. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

We lost to the national champions only because our coach was an idiot. We lost to Oklahoma because SW, Pettway, and Marcus Davis were hurt.

Why don't you look at the actual statistics, draft picks, money, average recruiting rankings, etc. 

Pac 12 football is boring. 

Coaching and injuries are a part of the game.  Overcoming them makes good teams great.  Also, if our recruiting rankings were so high, shouldn't we have the talent to still be competitive when guys go down?

Money and draft picks aren't indicative of quality of teams.  You can have great draft picks and still be an average college team (see: LSU).  Meanwhile, OU rarely finishes in the Top 10 for recruiting and still beats the SEC's ass at every opportunity.  

If the SEC was so great, with all of the recruiting advantages and money, the second best team in the conference wouldn't have been 8-4 last year and there would be more than one team in the pre-season Top 10.  In truth, the SEC as a whole underachieves when all of those things you listed are factored in.

You wanted numbers?  There you go.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Overcoming them makes good teams great.  Also, if our recruiting rankings were so high, shouldn't we have the talent to still be competitive when guys go down?

Like you said, coaching is a part of the game.  And the SEC has the best coaches, too. 

Money and draft picks aren't indicative of quality of teams.  You can have great draft picks and still be an average college team (see: LSU).  

LSU was average and fired their HC.

Meanwhile, OU rarely finishes in the Top 10 for recruiting and still beats the SEC's ass at every opportunity.  

Oklahoma has been as lucky as any team in CFB. Do you really think we would've lost if SW was not healthy? 

the SEC was so great, with all of the recruiting advantages and money, the second best team in the conference wouldn't have been 8-4 last year and there would be more than one team in the pre-season Top 10.  

We can be a great conference and underachieve. Nobody said that's not possible.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Like you said, coaching is a part of the game.  And the SEC has the best coaches, too. 

LSU was average and fired their HC.

Oklahoma has been as lucky as any team in CFB. Do you really think we would've lost if SW was not healthy? 

We can be a great conference and underachieve. Nobody said that's not possible.

Point-by-point here:

The SEC has the best coach, singular.  Coaches are highly debatable.  I'd take the trio of Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, and James Franklin and put them up against the top 3 coaches from the SEC any day.  After Saban, there's not a ton to brag about.  Malzahn is probably the second best coach by default, but then who is after that? 

LSU being average and firing their coach was exactly my point.  With all of that talent, they should never be average, but they have been for several years.  I say the same for Auburn as well.  Too many top 10 recruiting classes to be this consistently average.

OU lucky or just a really good program?  I'd argue the latter.  Their consistency has been nothing short of phenomenal, and they've done it with "worse" recruits than several SEC schools.

I never said the SEC isn't great.  I said it's not the be all, end all of college football that most SEC fans make it out to be.  To outright dismiss the Pac 12 as "boring" is delusional and shows a lack of football knowledge.  In my argument for other conferences, I'd point out that the best game of the regular season last year was played in the Big 10 between teams ranked 2 & 3 at the time, and neither of them won the division or conference.  A damn good Penn State team did that.  The ACC proved very solid last year and the Pac 12 was on par with the SEC from top to bottom.  Right now, the SEC is Bama and everyone else.  You can't really say that about the other power conferences because there are multiple high level teams fighting for their respective championships.

40 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The SEC has the best coach, singular.  Coaches are highly debatable.  I'd take the trio of Urban Meyer, Jim Harbaugh, and James Franklin and put them up against the top 3 coaches from the SEC any day. 

Well, Urban Meyer was in the SEC and Saban ran him off. Harbaugh and Franklin has done what, nothing? How many 1st round draft picks did the Pac12 or the BIG 10 have?

LSU being average and firing their coach was exactly my point.  With all of that talent, they should never be average, but they have been for several years.  I say the same for Auburn as well.  Too many top 10 recruiting classes to be this consistently average.

Can you name a conference with any better results?

OU lucky or just a really good program?  I'd argue the latter.  Their consistency has been nothing short of phenomenal, and they've done it with "worse" recruits than several SEC schools.

They also have/had  mostly a s***ty schedule compared to the SEC and an easy path to conference championship.

To outright dismiss the Pac 12 as "boring" is delusional and shows a lack of football knowledge

Why? Washington was supposedly a playoff team last year but really wasn't all that great.   USC lost to Bama by over 40 pointsas well. 

In my argument for other conferences, I'd point out that the best game of the regular season last year was played in the Big 10 between teams ranked 2 & 3 at the time, and neither of them won the division or conference

so?

and the Pac 12 was on par with the SEC from top to bottom

Wrong

Archived