ESPNW report on sexual harassment

This needs its own thread. Looks like it's going to get ugly in the AD. Who knew what. Explains the off season departure(s).

"A former Auburn softball player sent a 14-page complaint alleging abusive treatment by the Auburn coaching staff, a pattern of sexual harassment and concerns about an administrative cover-up to school officials and Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey a month before the abrupt retirement Wednesday of head coach Clint Myers."

Link

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep.....probably no way this ends well.  

Not sure that I understand why the person filing the claim has standing but that's what the courts are for I guess. ..does sound like a little bit of sour grapes....

As for CCM permitting Corey?    Corey is an adult and can do what he wants though if it went on with CCM's knowledge and no action taken?  .....that's a definite no-no....So I guess there is a question as to how long this went on before Corey was dismissed. 

Not going to help the coaching search....

This goes deeper than anything I imagined.  Meredith Jenkins has been mentioned....executive associate athletic director and senior women's administrator...according to James Crepea at Al.com.  

I think everyone knew something was going on here but I had no clue it was this toxic. This is going to be extremely ugly.

Have to wait on the facts and not early allegations.  I fail to understand how administrations can fail to act appropriately (if true) in the wake of Penn State and Baylor issues. 

Auburn responds to ESPNW article

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Report-Former-Auburn-softball-player-alleges-abuse-sexual-harass-106537615

AUBURN, Ala. — Former Auburn softball player Alexa Nemeth claims school officials attempted to cover up abusive treatment by the coaching staff and “a pattern of sexual harassment,” according to an explosive report from espnW.

The report comes just days after softball head coach Clint Myers suddenly retired after taking the school to two Women’s College World Series appearances.

Nemeth’s lawyer sent a 14-page complaint detailing the events to school officials at Auburn and Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey one month ago, according to the report. Nemeth also filed a Title IX sexual discrimination complaint with the school, claiming “coach Clint Myers knowingly let his son Corey Myers have relations and pursue relations with multiple members of the team.”

Corey Myers resigned as assistant head coach prior to the team’s trip to Georgia. Milwaukee attorney Martin Greenberg alleges that on March 30 “several players approached Head Coach Myers with proof in the form of text messages from a student-athlete's cell phone that Coach Corey was having an inappropriate relationship with one of the student-athletes."

The team was “quarantined” for before the trip to Georgia, according to the 14-page letter and five players told ESPN that Auburn associate athletic director Meredith Jenkins told players they could be arrested for taking text messages from a teammate’s phone. She ordered the players to delete the messages, according to the report.

Auburn athletics released a statement in response to espnW's report.

“The well-being of Auburn student-athletes was and is our utmost concern. In each instance of a personnel issue or question, Auburn Athletics works in conjunction with the university’s administration, following all established guidelines and in compliance with NCAA and SEC regulations when applicable, to investigate, learn the facts and take appropriate action. We followed this same procedure in matters related to the softball program. By both practice and in compliance with federal privacy laws, Auburn doesn’t disclose details of personnel matters.”

AL.com reports it contacted many players and "one former player claimed she received 'inappropriate' text messages from Corey Myers during her time at Auburn."

The messages referred to her physical appearance. She did not share the messages with the publication.

"People are so scared to come out because they think that nothing's going to come about it because of who (the Myers') are," said the former player, who requested anonymity from AL.com. "People are just scared that they're going to get in trouble because at the end of the day (Clint Myers) is going to have Corey's back; it's his son."

18 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Have to wait on the facts and not early allegations.  I fail to understand how administrations can fail to act appropriately (if true) in the wake of Penn State and Baylor issues. 

Guess an issue is how long it took before action was taken by Clint...but yes, there were enough examples out there that anyone with the Athletic Dept should have known to not sit on the problem. .      

PS...looking at the dates....seems that if the complaint was made by players at the end of March, Clint took pretty quick action 'cause Corey was gone a day or so before the Georgia game wasn't he?  

Too many players names being mentioned for this to be nothing. 

What did Jay Jacobs know and when did he know it?

IF there has been a cover up, look for a house cleaning in the athletic department.  Personally, I have a difficult time believing department folks would do that. 

It is always darkest before the light. The problem is, this issue will become very dark (and public) for Auburn University, the Athletic Department, Auburn Softball, the Softball players, the Myers family and the light is at the far end of a very long long tunnel. 

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This needs its own thread. Looks like it's going to get ugly in the AD. Who knew what. Explains the off season departure(s).

Link

The rumors were toxic when Corey left.

Auburnphan kept saying the situation behind the Corey dismissal was really bad as well ( to his credit.)

Once Clint abruptly resigned, it seemed inevitable that I'd be reading something like this though. Time to weather the storm.

Someone needs to change the title of this thread. It was harassment and an inappropriate relationship, not assault. It was also Corey, not Casey or Clint. That is how inaccurate and slanderous rumors get spread.

5 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

IF there has been a cover up, look for a house cleaning in the athletic department.  Personally, I have a difficult time believing department folks would do that. 

Agreed... our people are so by the book that it annoys a lot of fans. Also, they fired the perpetrator when it came to their attention. What else are they supposed to do?

lionheartkc don't take me wrong, I agree, but the thread title is the least of our worries.  The relationship, the seeming lack of response to complaints and likely failure to act by the administration is what should be the concern here.  Again, not attacking, just expressing my frustration about the program.

i felt although just a hunch ..when Corey resigned it may have been something of this nature. it was just too sudden, and completely out of nowhere. not to mention the team was competing well. 

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The rumors were toxic when Corey left.

Auburnphan kept saying the situation behind the Corey dismissal was really bad as well ( to his credit.)

Once Clint abruptly resigned, it seemed inevitable that I'd be reading something like this though. Time to weather the storm.

I agree with all you posted except the weathering the storm part.  Cory was/is a POS and his Daddy knew that and covered it up.   No excuses on the Meyers and AU's part.  

wde

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Agreed... our people are so by the book that it annoys a lot of fans. Also, they fired the perpetrator when it came to their attention. What else are they supposed to do?

You are foolish if you think AU is by the book at anything regarding athletics.  AU should have fired Daddy as soon as his POS son was exposed.  Daddy knew all along.

wde

update to story:

Former Auburn player Blaire Bass provided ESPN screenshots of “suggestive text messages she said were sent by Corey Myers after team photos were taken in September 2015.”

In those messages, Bass’ looks are referred to as a “7” by Corey Myers.

"No one on the outside has a clue to what we went through," former Auburn player Whitney Jordan told ESPN.

Former Auburn player Haley Fagan told ESPN several members of the team sent Auburn’s athletics department anonymous ethic complaints. The university conducted an internal investigation, leading to Corey Myers’ resignation in September 2016 — but he returned two weeks later when Clint Myers asked players to “go fight for Corey” with the athletic department.

One player told ESPN she wrote a letter defending Corey Myers during that time. “After all the stuff that happened in the spring, I felt like an idiot for even opening my mouth.”

Fagan said Corey Myers “smacked me on the butt” during a fielding drill during her first season on the team.

A rift among the players started prior to a trip to Florida on March 27 concerning Corey Myers. Later that weekend, Fagan had a confrontation with Florida coach Tim Walton in what ESPN reports was sparked by the high-ranging emotions within the Auburn program before the game.

Fagan and Kasey Cooper also refused to board the bus with a player who “allegedly exchanged text messages with Corey Myers” on the day of the “quarantine” on the bus before a trip to Georgia on March 30.

“We said that if she gets on, we’re staying off,” Fagan told ESPN. “It was a team decision.”

Nemeth’s attorney alleges Auburn coaches “looked the other way” because of the dynamic between the father-son coaching duo.

Nemeth said she felt “vindicated” when alerted of Clint Myers’ resignation Wednesday.

Fagan said “everybody protected coach. Nobody protected us.

21 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

lionheartkc don't take me wrong, I agree, but the thread title is the least of our worries.  The relationship, the seeming lack of response to complaints and likely failure to act by the administration is what should be the concern here.  Again, not attacking, just expressing my frustration about the program.

What lack of response? AU found out about it and Corey was shown the door, less than a week after the complaint claims it was brought to Clint's attention. While inappropriate, there is no law against the relationship. The legal issue came with him sending inappropriate texts to other players. And if you want to take issue with Auburn's council warning the girls about stealing another girls texts, they are correct and the illegal appropriation of evidence could hurt any case against Corey.

No one was assaulted. The girl in the relationship didn't file a complaint. Instead, a third party, who was cut from the team, went and got a lawyer and is throwing a fit, probably on the lawyer's advice, not because she was assaulted, but because she received offensive texts from a guy the school fired as soon as they knew. I honestly don't see the big deal. I'm more pissed that Corey took Clint down with him.

Well....we all smelled the smoke.....so here's the fire. :angryfire:

Clint Meyers has a Neanderthal son with no concept of  appropriate boundaries and professional behavior...and he chose to protect Corey over his duty as a Coach. His 40 year career is ruined, his family is in crisis, the team has been put through hell, and Auburn's reputation will take a big hit.  What I want to know is this.....was there any hint of sexual harassment complaints at ASU? Sunny Golloway's behavior was well known at OU and he should never have been hired. Auburn escaped a big,embarrassing mess by getting rid of him quickly, but I never understood why he was even invited to coach at Auburn.  If this was another situation where troubling behavior was overlooked then Jay Jacobs should be in very hot water. Good Grief this is just awful.

7 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

You are foolish if you think AU is by the book at anything regarding athletics.

I never agree with you on anything, and I usually just ignore your inane ranting, but until you sit down and talk with the people who run compliance for Auburn, and hear what they care about and how sincere they are about doing the right thing, like I have, you should probable keep quiet on the subject.

Archived