ESPNW report on sexual harassment

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another interesting thing about this situation, since it has been basically reported, but you have a situation where an acknowledged crime took place by several team members who stole the personal property of another student athlete on campus facilities.  

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Another interesting thing about this situation, since it has been basically reported, but you have a situation where an acknowledged crime took place by several team members who stole the personal property of another student athlete on campus facilities.  

Interesting indeed, but I'd think a thorough investigation would more than likely uncover and verify the subject matter in those stolen text messages rendering them useless when they built their case to ask for Corey's resignation.

The player who's personal property (text messages) was stolen got her revenge when she ratted out the pot smokers and got them arrested with mugs shots and public humiliation.

4 minutes ago, TheBeachTigger said:

Hmm, I thought it was pictures they had taken of the text messages.

They were.  However taking pictures of private text messages from someone else's phone is still illegal.  Think of it like going through other people's mail.  It's easy to do, but not at all legal.

36 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

They were.  However taking pictures of private text messages from someone else's phone is still illegal.  Think of it like going through other people's mail.  It's easy to do, but not at all legal.

Its only illegal if you didn't have permission...

We don't know either way at this point.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Interesting indeed, but I'd think a thorough investigation would more than likely uncover and verify the subject matter in those stolen text messages rendering them useless when they built their case to ask for Corey's resignation.

The player who's personal property (text messages) was stolen got her revenge when she ratted out the pot smokers and got them arrested with mugs shots and public humiliation.

IS that true?   wow....playing hard ball.....and just has to do wonders for team chemistry.....and all of that is what eventually brought us to this scandal?    So was ragging on Corey and his girlfriend or the Title IX allegations....all that part of internal issues?  If so, looks like the coaches and administrators just made it worse by whatever action or inaction they took. 

Sounds like a huge mess within the team....and no wonder so many of us kept thinking that something  just felt wrong about the team.  If so, it's a wonder the team did as well as it did with that kind of soap opera environment. .   

39 minutes ago, TheBeachTigger said:

Its only illegal if you didn't have permission...

We don't know either way at this point.

they did not, I state that as a fact.  no link so don't ask

52 minutes ago, AU64 said:

IS that true?   wow....playing hard ball.....and just has to do wonders for team chemistry.....and all of that is what eventually brought us to this scandal?    So was ragging on Corey and his girlfriend or the Title IX allegations....all that part of internal issues?  If so, looks like the coaches and administrators just made it worse by whatever action or inaction they took. 

Sounds like a huge mess within the team....and no wonder so many of us kept thinking that something  just felt wrong about the team.  If so, it's a wonder the team did as well as it did with that kind of soap opera environment. .   

That's the rumor. I believe the arrests happened after Corey resigned and part of the team mutinied against said police informant. At that point, I think team chemistry had been boiled in a beaker until only fumes were left. It seems there were multiple Title IX complaints (the most recent discussed in the ESPNW article), and that could've had the chemistry at a breaking point before the season ever started. The texts seem to confirm to some what was going on and caused things to boil over and a player to leave the team. The arrests were the fallout from the boil over. 

And inaction seems appropriate. Many think action should've been taken or upheld in September, and that probably would've made things somewhat smoother. 

5 minutes ago, boomstick said:

That's the rumor. I believe the arrests happened after Corey resigned and part of the team mutinied against said police informant. At that point, I think team chemistry had been boiled in a beaker until only fumes were left. It seems there were multiple Title IX complaints (the most recent discussed in the ESPNW article), and that could've had the chemistry at a breaking point before the season ever started. The texts seem to confirm to some what was going on and caused things to boil over and a player to leave the team. The arrests were the fallout from the boil over. 

And inaction seems appropriate. Many think action should've been taken or upheld in September, and that probably would've made things somewhat smoother. 

Again...Wow....if that scenario is reasonably accurate I'm wondering what anyone could have done to heal the rift during the season.    

Don't know who all the  players were in the drama but sounds like a minority of the team ....and guess that most were just trying to go about their business and win some ball games.....but also sounds like a couple key players were at the core which would have made it hard for everyone to put things behind them.  

Sounds like a doomed team to me and I'm wondering if any of the coaching staff should return...:dunno:.

2 hours ago, boomstick said:

Arrests?!? I hadn't seen anything about arrests... :dunno:

Oh, do you mean from the Maryjane incident?

9 minutes ago, TheBeachTigger said:

Arrests?!? I hadn't seen anything about arrests... :dunno:

Oh, do you mean from the Maryjane incident?

Yeah, for the weeds incident. 

Here's another article:

Auburn, Ala. (EETV) - Hours after a report released by ESPNW revealed shocking allegations against the Auburn Softball program for abuse and sexual harassment allegations, a former player exclusively reveals shocking details to EETV.

“You could simply tell they blamed everything on us,” said the former player that wishes to remain anonymous. “They treated us as if we betrayed them.”

The ESPN report revealed that Auburn softball player Alexa Nemeth filed a letter alleging abusive treatment by the Auburn softball coaching staff and a pattern of sexual harassment.

However, the story begins at a much earlier date. The story begins in the fall of 2016 when rumors of a relationship between assistant coach Corey Myers and a player surfaced.

“At first none of the players believed the accusations,” said the former player.

Following the rumors, an investigation began to look into the rumors; Corey took a week off.

“Head coach Clint Myers told us players to rally behind and stand up for Corey Myers,” said the former player. “So we did because we still didn’t believe it.”

The teams rallying efforts brought Corey back to the team and according to our source, the situation died down.

After Christmas break, she says things ramped back up.

“Someone actually caught Corey and this former player holding hands,” our anonymous source reveals.

The player who caught Corey went to Clint Myers immediately to inform him of the situation. According to the source, Clint Myers blew off the allegation as if it did not happen.

As weeks passed there were no new developments, until an away series. Corey and the former player were caught talking behind a stairwell past the player’s curfew.

The next day, while on the way to the field, one of the team members saw the player, who was allegedly in a relationship with Corey, texting him.

“She [another member of the team] immediately got her phone and took screenshots,” said the former player. “Later looking at the screenshots and reading them, she immediately knew that everything was a lie.”

After the text messages were discovered, there was a team meeting before leaving for the Georgia series.

“Every girl on the team except the player in the relationship was locked inside our team room for four hours,” said the former player.

During that meeting, the team learned that Corey would no longer be coaching.

Associate AD Meredith Jenkins was also at the team meeting and was aware of the pictures of the text messages between Corey and the former player.

According to our anonymous source, Jenkins told the players “a police report had been filed and that if we had the picture we could face criminal charges.”

After telling the team about the police report, she pulled the five players with the pictures aside and “basically told them that she knew they had them and repeated herself and told them they could face criminal charges with the pictures on their phones.”

According to our source, following the meeting, the seniors went to Clint Myers's office and told them that if the player in the relationship was coming on the trip to Georgia then none of them would get on the bus.

“After 45 minutes of talking, the player decided herself not to attend the series at Georgia,” said the former player.

After the Georgia series, the climate of the softball team changed dramatically. The demeanors of Clint Myers and Coach Casey Myers changed.

“Coach Clint Myers said that ‘we betrayed the family,” the former player said. “Everything changed for the worse after the Georgia series.”

http://www.eagleeyeauburn.com/article/2017/08/exclusive-former-player-details-abusive-environment-inside-auburn-softball

At the very least Jenkins knew and I am going to assume reported to JJ. I thing it was very wrong of Clint to expect the team to cover up the relationship with his son and the player. As an Auburn grad I am very disappointed in how this whole situation was handled. 

alleging abusive treatment by the Auburn softball coaching staff and a pattern of sexual harassment.

Still haven't seen any evidence or examples of this which is the most damning charge IMO and what justifies the Title IX issue. 

The player who was involved with the coach left the program about half way through the season and nobody outside the program apparently missed her which means she was not playing very much....so seems kind of difficult to justify a claim of special treatment...and also the coach was gone.  So where and when was this pattern of "sexual harassment" taking place and by whom ?  

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

alleging abusive treatment by the Auburn softball coaching staff and a pattern of sexual harassment.

Still haven't seen any evidence or examples of this which is the most damning charge IMO and what justifies the Title IX issue. 

The player who was involved with the coach left the program about half way through the season and nobody outside the program apparently missed her which means she was not playing very much....so seems kind of difficult to justify a claim of special treatment...and also the coach was gone.  So where and when was this pattern of "sexual harassment" taking place and by whom ?  

I haven't seen really any details of the "abusive treatment." It could be alluding to how the players were treated by the Myers' after this came to light. It could be referring to Corey's behavior and the rumors surrounding that. But you're right. There isn't much detail on what was happening. 

My Goodness!

*  Quarantine the players in a room for 4 freaking hours (with the exception of the player in the relationship

*  Jenkins told the players "a police report had been filed and that if we had the picture we could face criminal charge."

*  After the 4 hour skull session the players put HC on the spot and refused to ride the bus if the player in the relationship  was coming on the UGA trip

*  After another 45 min talk, the player in the relationship decided she wouldn't attend the UGA series

*  HC goes on to tell them they "betrayed the Family"  

Threats of criminal charges against whistle blowers by an employee of the athletic department would qualify as "harassment/intimidation/retaliation/abusive" by most open minded individuals.  A relationship between a university employee and a student may not be illegal in Alabama, but it is unethical by any educator certification bodies, and most likely violated the employee contract with the University I'd bet.

56 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Here's another article:

“Later looking at the screenshots and reading them, she immediately knew that everything was a lie.”

After the text messages were discovered, there was a team meeting before leaving for the Georgia series.

“Every girl on the team except the player in the relationship was locked inside our team room for four hours,” said the former player.

During that meeting, the team learned that Corey would no longer be coaching.

Associate AD Meredith Jenkins was also at the team meeting and was aware of the pictures of the text messages between Corey and the former player.

According to our anonymous source, Jenkins told the players “a police report had been filed and that if we had the picture we could face criminal charges.”

After telling the team about the police report, she pulled the five players with the pictures aside and “basically told them that she knew they had them and repeated herself and told them they could face criminal charges with the pictures on their phones.”

According to our source, following the meeting, the seniors went to Clint Myers's office and told them that if the player in the relationship was coming on the trip to Georgia then none of them would get on the bus.

“After 45 minutes of talking, the player decided herself not to attend the series at Georgia,” said the former player.

After the Georgia series, the climate of the softball team changed dramatically. The demeanors of Clint Myers and Coach Casey Myers changed.

“Coach Clint Myers said that ‘we betrayed the family,” the former player said. “Everything changed for the worse after the Georgia series.”

http://www.eagleeyeauburn.com/article/2017/08/exclusive-former-player-details-abusive-environment-inside-auburn-softball

This how some posters on here are reacting...trying to poke holes in stories...complaining about taking pictures with phones. How about the coaches and a teammate betrayed them. CCM betrayed his family. They came forward because it was wrong. Maybe they reacted by taking photos without permission but The Auburn family and Auburn women need support not former coaches... but the women on the softball team and the Auburn family. That's what we should be doing

4 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

This how some posters on here are reacting...trying to poke holes in stories...complaining about taking pictures with phones. How about the coaches and a teammate betrayed them. CCM betrayed his family. They came forward because it was wrong. Maybe they reacted by taking photos without permission but The Auburn family and Auburn women need support not former coaches... but the women on the softball team and the Auburn family. That's what we should be doing

THIS RIGHT HERE

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Threats of criminal charges against whistle blowers by an employee of the athletic department would qualify as "harassment/intimidation/retaliation/abusive" by most open minded individuals.  A relationship between a university employee and a student may not be illegal in Alabama, but it is unethical by any educator certification bodies, and most likely violated the employee contract with the University I'd bet.

Very true.  

I'd have to believe Clint was pissed off  beyond measure with the way his team was unfolding with the constant cat fights, involving allegations being made to his superiors with his own son at the core of the situation while he's trying to put together a championship contender.  If he tried to rally his favorite player to "go fight for Corey" with the AD, then he in turn could have just as passionately gave some verbal abuse to his non-favorite players that anonymously reported his son to the AD.  

Clint had a mess on his hands for a while.  The fact that those girls accomplished what they did last season just goes to show you how much talent really was on that team, they were in turmoil and still pulled up the boot straps and fought hard.

9 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I taught as a GTA at Auburn for two years.  It would have broken my contract with the university to be involved with one of my students, so I can guarantee you it would have broken his as a full-time teacher/coach.

8 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Threats of criminal charges against whistle blowers by an employee of the athletic department would qualify as "harassment/intimidation/retaliation/abusive" by most open minded individuals. 

Any legal experts know about the situation mentioned above? Was Jenkins correct to keep this case closed or was this an empty threat just to preserve AUs face?

Regardless- this sounds more and more like a situation in which a bunch people in leadership positions failed to do their job(s).

Archived