ESPNW report on sexual harassment

So many of these girls were so upset by how it was handled that all of one girl transferred and the rest decided to stay on the team under the same coach.  By no means am I saying that is why she transferred either

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

So many of these girls were so upset by how it was handled that all of one girl transferred and the rest decided to stay on the team under the same coach.  By no means am I saying that is why she transferred either

So this is just all sour grapes by the players complaining who are no longer with the team?

11 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

sorry. I don't look at the number of girls leaving as an automatic gauge of a program with serious problems with coaches and issues with inappropriate relationships.

I also understand that some it is girls possible adding to it, to make it seem worse. But at the core there was a wrong done, and those in control did not handle it appropriately.

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree. 

Sorry, unless I hear something different from coaches, administration officials that can be supported, these girls have very little fault.

Give me a break, we are going to call out these girls for how they handled using someone's phone? It seems that they were frustrated and desperate to get a handle on this wrong and ethical issue that an adult coach and possibly his father did.

Let's see the real issue here. Sure they are not professionals and know how to handle an inappropriate relationship and possible favoritism with their program.

Hey it was a bad situation but why were a few girls so "desperate" to nail Corey and their fellow player?   Why not just play ball and forget it?  Doing it for the good of the team I guess?    If they thought that they were pretty clueless not to realize that they were in the process of destroying the team and the season.

And here is Fagan who was suspended for some reason...drugs or at least being in the presence of drug use.....and I bet she is totally objective about anything to do with the coaches after that.  

JMO but some AU fans are being willingly lead down the garden trail by a few disgruntled players.   I don't like the Corey thing but beyond that, some players took it upon themselves to right the wrong....and about destroyed the team to settle a personal issue.   Me.....I'm backing the players who stayed out of it and went about their business not those who even now,  seem determined to kick dirt on  the graves even after the coaches are "dead and buried".

7 minutes ago, boomstick said:

So this is just all sour grapes by the players complaining who are no longer with the team?

I am just implying that maybe this was not the big team issue some are publicly making it out to be.  One is a walk on who was not good enough, we know that.  Two others have graduated and moved on, we know that.  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Hey it was a bad situation but why were a few girls so "desperate" to nail Corey and their fellow player?   Why not just play ball and forget it?  Doing it for the good of the team I guess?    If they thought that they were pretty clueless not to realize that they were in the process of destroying the team and the season.

And here is Fagan who was suspended for some reason...drugs or at least being in the presence of drug use.....and I bet she is totally objective about anything to do with the coaches after that.  

JMO but some AU fans are being willingly lead down the garden trail by a few disgruntled players.   I don't like the Corey thing but beyond that, some players took it upon themselves to right the wrong....and about destroyed the team to settle a personal issue.   Me.....I'm backing the players who stayed out of it and went about their business not those who even now,  seem determined to kick dirt on  the graves even after the coaches are "dead and buried".

I don't disagree totally with what you are saying. There are girls such as Cooper and Wallace, who simply tried to play on and in Wallace's case decided to transfer most likely BECAUSE of what these coaches and possibly administration officials did to slowly or possibly weakly handle it.

But the fault lies with the adults in the situation. I am not going to fault college girls for feeling things were not being handled correctly and maybe didn't know how to handle it internally as there were lots of pressure to play well too. Sure there were other ways to handle it, and maybe they tried that back in September...and in the spring it simply seemed to reoccur.

I think the one player using TITLE IX to throw dirt on those gone, but it is possible it is also to rat out those in the administration to weakly handled it. i.e. JJ...I don't necessarily agree with her but we were not in her situation either.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I am just implying that maybe this was not the big team issue some are publicly making it out to be.  One is a walk on who was not good enough, we know that.  Two others have graduated and moved on, we know that.  

Then what was the big team issue? Because there certainly seems to have been a big issue. 

Just now, boomstick said:

Then what was the big team issue? Because there certainly seems to have been a big issue. 

Younger girls were taking positions and playing time from girls that helped get to the Championship the year before because they were better was one issue

Whatever the case, it's amazing we went so far despite having zero chemistry and despite having such a dysfunctional locker room that our captain, Cooper, and Fagan both said they wouldn't get on the team bus with the player in the inappropriate relationship.

Sidebar- with CFB here, I wonder how many gameday signs will our opponents use to ridicule our handling/ and or the relationship(s) itself. 

5 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Younger girls were taking positions and playing time from girls that helped get to the Championship the year before because they were better was one issue

That doesn't make sense. Nemeth was a young walk-on. Bass wasn't even here this year. Fagan was a starter. Jordan is the only one who I could see having that gripe. If players like Madi Gipson and Courtney Shea were the ones complaining, it would make more sense.

And your post makes it seem like Corey sleeping with a player wasn't a problem for the team at all, which I find hard to believe. 

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

That doesn't make sense. Nemeth was a young walk-on. Bass wasn't even here this year. Fagan was a starter. Jordan is the only one who I could see having that gripe. If players like Madi Gipson and Courtney Shea were the ones complaining, it would make more sense.

And your post makes it seem like Corey sleeping with a player wasn't a problem for the team at all, which I find hard to believe. 

There were a lot of problems with the team and in my opinion none of them were handled properly, I have stated that numerous times this year.

I think Nemeth made her point that the system seems to be quite flawed, but I'm not sure there's any more she can do. And even if she's greatly exaggerating the details, the very core seems to be true, and that's enough to raise serious questions IMO. 

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

We lost one of the best softball coaches AU has ever employed, along with his son who was tops in the profession as well.  We've lost players, one of which was considered the #1 player and the leader of this team.  At the moment, our organization faces at Title IX lawsuit from a former player and our new President felt the need to retain Lightfoot, Franklin, White (big $$$$$ firm)  to investigate the program.  Yet we haven't heard a peep out of the Director of Athletics, not a peep.

Whether the big team issue was the affair/affairs or it was just a player that wasn't good enough, or a few players disgruntled about playing time....the issues are pretty big to cause this kind of fallout.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

I think Nemeth made her point that the system seems to be quite flawed, but I'm not sure there's any more she can do. And even if she's greatly exaggerating the details, the very core seems to be true, and that's enough to raise serious questions IMO. 

True, the system was not perfect but her arguments that nobody would listen are just not true....read the transcript....there were all kinds of phone calls and meetings but she just lacked credibility .....and those exaggerated details hurt a lot of people...including fellow players where she implied about what it took to get playing time..or practice time for gosh sakes.     

As for Carlee....boy I really hated to see her leave and guess we will never know the real reasons.   Also just my view, but I would not attribute any reasons.... keeping in mind that she came to AU because of Clint and could just as well be upset about teammates going after him and Corey.  To her credit she has not taken shots at anyone as she left...showed real character in that regard.    

As noted elsewhere....AU is now caught in the publicity battle to prove that it is not Baylor or Penn State which probably means some other people will have to be sacrificed...not for being evil...but for mishandling a very tangled situation.

58 minutes ago, AU64 said:

True, the system was not perfect but her arguments that nobody would listen are just not true....read the transcript....there were all kinds of phone calls and meetings but she just lacked credibility .....and those exaggerated details hurt a lot of people...including fellow players where she implied about what it took to get playing time..or practice time for gosh sakes.     

As for Carlee....boy I really hated to see her leave and guess we will never know the real reasons.   Also just my view, but I would not attribute any reasons.... keeping in mind that she came to AU because of Clint and could just as well be upset about teammates going after him and Corey.  To her credit she has not taken shots at anyone as she left...showed real character in that regard.    

As noted elsewhere....AU is now caught in the publicity battle to prove that it is not Baylor or Penn State which probably means some other people will have to be sacrificed...not for being evil...but for mishandling a very tangled situation.

What it boils down to is you don't believe Nemeth's account of the events. That's fair. 

38 minutes ago, boomstick said:

What it boils down to is you don't believe Nemeth's account of the events. That's fair. 

Do you? Nemeth may be telling the complete truth, but I hope not. I hope we didn't have a coach that pressured multiple girls for sex in order to obtain practice and game time which is what the complaint stated. The media has fed us zero evidence either way so everybody should still be impartial and open-minded.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Do you? Nemeth may be telling the complete truth, but I hope not. I hope we didn't have a coach that pressured multiple girls for sex in order to obtain practice and game time which is what the complaint stated. The media has fed us zero evidence either way so everybody should stay still be impartial and open-minded.

Thanks Jeff.....and I don't believe it because I have enough respect for our coaches and even more so for our players that none of the stuff she claims would have happened.  I'm surprised that anyone would think that her claims are true.  

JMO but this young lady seems to be looking for an excuse as to why she did not make the team...and willing to blame or disparage people all around her in the process.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

No, If Carlee left because others were going after her coaches, then read her quotes from when she said she was transferring to Baylor. She thanked the fans, and her teammates.

Not ONE thank you to her head coach. Seems more like she lost respect for her head coach.

That tells me she left because she didnt like how her coaches were handling these internal issues. She felt it best to just leave and not be a part of the fallout. 

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

And don't forget, a key leader and starter left for Baylor (Carlee Wallace). I think that tells me more too about a situation she didnt want to be a part of. 

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Do you? Nemeth may be telling the complete truth, but I hope not. I hope we didn't have a coach that pressured multiple girls for sex in order to obtain practice and game time which is what the complaint stated. The media has fed us zero evidence either way so everybody should stay still be impartial and open-minded.

Every detail? Not sure but I lean towards things being sensationalized or embellished. The basics? I believe she's telling the truth. Some think one player, who is alleged to have had a relationship with Corey, started the season at a position that others didn't think she earned or was the best player for would support Nemeth's claim that there were benefits to having relations with him (although I think that was more of a benefit to that particular player than Corey pressuring anyone). So, there seems to be both truth and fabrication (or misunderstanding, similar to the AD) in that part of the story. 

Here's how it seems to all be boiling down to me, based on the transcripts, interviews, and my experience with women's sports teams through my wife's school. It seems like two camps formed on the team, one that was pro-staff and one that wasn't. The reason behind the anti-staff camp form isn't entirely clear, but it was hinted that they felt they felt some players were being shown favoritism, and indicated that it was because those players were open to inappropriate advances. Most if that seems to be centered on a relationship between Corry Myers and a player (it should be relatively easy to figure out who, since she didn't travel to Georgia). Now it's obvious that the end goal was not to protect the player, since the other players refused to travel if she was on the bus, which underlines my belief that this was a 2 camps situation.

It's very telling that no one raising concerns is part of the team anymore nor is the player in question who had said relationship. With the coaches gone, it would make sence that more girls on the current team would stand up, if there was a widespread issue. You can bet the media is asking.

There are also other things in play that make sense with this scenario. The marijuana incident is one. If there are two camps, the the pro-staff camp could have very well outed the others for smoking as a revenge thing. It also better explains the team chemistry issue. The fact that Wallace transferred to a school with known Title IX issues also speaks to her wanting to get away from the team and not inappropriate behavior of the staff.

It's going to be interesting to read the report from the law firm. I have no doubt, currently, that it will clear Auburn of any wrongdoing. What interests me is who it will end up vilifying and if any lawsuits will follow.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks Jeff.....and I don't believe it because I have enough respect for our coaches and even more so for our players that none of the stuff she claims would have happened.  I'm surprised that anyone would think that her claims are true.  

JMO but this young lady seems to be looking for an excuse as to why she did not make the team...and willing to blame or disparage people all around her in the process.

JMO but I think it's sad that you'd already write off this lady's claims and side with the coaches based solely on what's been reported. According to the university, "changes" were made by the university, which contradicts the seemingly voluntary decisions to resign and retire. If the university removed them from their positions, why would you still believe they were the believable parties in this situation?

19 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The part I have trouble believing in that theory is not that Corey could have done it, but that there would actually be a group of girls on the team who would go along with it.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The part I have trouble believing in that theory is not that Corey could have done it, but that there would actually be a group of girls on the team who would go along with it.

The claim is three players. And it seems we definitely know of one, and that particular one is what caused his firing or "resigning." 

Archived