ESPNW report on sexual harassment

3 minutes ago, boomstick said:

JMO but I think it's sad that you'd already write off this lady's claims and side with the coaches based solely on what's been reported. According to the university, "changes" were made by the university, which contradicts the seemingly voluntary decisions to resign and retire. If the university removed them from their positions, why would you still believe they were the believable parties in this situation?

Coaches got dealt because of Corey which was a separate thing ......no problem with that.   I'm objecting to the Title IX claims and the stuff in ESPN with no evidence except claims of a former player.    

It's obvious that the admin. does not believe this...and did not believe it months ago....or among other things, all of the coaches would be gone...not just Clint and Corey. 

As I say....I respect the 30 or so young ladies on the team too much to think that any of them are shelling out sexual favors in hopes of getting playing or practice time.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The part I have trouble believing in that theory is not that Corey could have done it, but that there would actually be a group of girls on the team who would go along with it.

as a followup. Remember, these are just college girls. Some have strong personalities, others do not. Some may feel more pressure to do things according to the accusations presented. Sometimes it takes something to blow it up, like it eventually did prior to GA. 

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

The claim is three players. And it seems we definitely know of one, and that particular one is what caused his firing or "resigning." 

I haven't seen the claim of three, and what I've heard about the one was that it was a relationship, not sex for favors.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I haven't seen the claim of three, and what I've heard about the one was that it was a relationship, not sex for favors.

But also regardless of sex for favors, or just a wrongful coach/player relationship, this one player involved, started the season as a starter, but after about 6 games of very poor hitting was replaced. And since some of the other players who felt the relationship inappropriate and continuing into the season, finally had enough and forced the issue prior to the GA trip. 

Just now, steeleagle said:

as a followup. Remember, these are just college girls. Some have strong personalities, others do not. Some may feel more pressure to do things according to the accusations presented. Sometimes it takes something to blow it up, like it eventually did prior to GA. 

I get that they are college girls. This is where I draw on my knowledge that comes from my wife working at a women's college. These days it would take about 30 seconds for the whole world to know if a coach said a girl had to sleep with him to get playing time. College girls do not keep things like that quite. If a girl sleeps with a coach, it's because she wants to. That doesn't absolve the coach of wrongdoing, but it does put a huge hole in the coercion theory.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I get that they are college girls. This is where I draw on my knowledge that comes from my wife working at a women's college. These days it would take about 30 seconds for the whole world to know if a coach said a girl had to sleep with him to get playing time. College girls do not keep things like that quite. If a girl sleeps with a coach, it's because she wants to. That doesn't absolve the coach of wrongdoing, but it does put a huge hole in the coercion theory.

Oh.. i don't give the girl who got involved with the coach, a bye. If it happened, she knows its wrong period. 

I am talking about the girls who found out, tried to get it taken care of, either internally or through the coaches and admin. Maybe some of it gets clouded if they give reasons, like 'pretty girls start' and if the one girl started the season because of being involved with the coach. But there were players, veteran ones, who tried to get this taken care of. 

I feel they were getting very frustrated when they expected the issues to be taken care of by those in power they trusted and it wasn't happening. 

All teams have issues with players unhappy with playing time because most feel they come here to be starters. But when the coaches cross the line as to how they relate to them, then the problems multiply and get out of control.

24 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That claim is in the Plainsman article from yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, boomstick said:

That claim is in the Plainsman article from yesterday. 

As they say......"consider the source"

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Coaches got dealt because of Corey which was a separate thing ......no problem with that.   I'm objecting to the Title IX claims and the stuff in ESPN with no evidence except claims of a former player.    

It's obvious that the admin. does not believe this...and did not believe it months ago....or among other things, all of the coaches would be gone...not just Clint and Corey. 

As I say....I respect the 30 or so young ladies on the team too much to think that any of them are shelling out sexual favors in hopes of getting playing or practice time.

Not sure what evidence will ever be presented to prove those claims. It's going to have to be more than one person speaking out and saying the same thing. 

And I think that if Corey had a sexual relationship with a player and that player received preferential treatment it could create a Title IX violation by that specific act. 

I finally got around to watching the video of her interview with the creep.  Based on the sudden resignations of Corey and Clint, I am reasonably sure some things happened that were not appropriate. That said, Ms. Memeth is short on specificity, is very vague and full of conjecture.  I know lots of defense lawyers that would like to depose her.  

The entire situation appears to have been badly handled by AU.  I suspect Lightfoot's report will not be pretty. 

6 hours ago, boomstick said:

That doesn't make sense. Nemeth was a young walk-on. Bass wasn't even here this year. Fagan was a starter. Jordan is the only one who I could see having that gripe. If players like Madi Gipson and Courtney Shea were the ones complaining, it would make more sense.   Not to me.  Courtney Shea was the DP most of the season when she didn't catch. In fact, it would be faster to count the very few games Shea didn't play in.    Madi Gipson was injured and was in a cast from knee down from about the mid point of the season until it was over. 

And your post makes it seem like Corey sleeping with a player wasn't a problem for the team at all, which I find hard to believe. 

I find that hard to believe as well.   In fact, I believe it to be the exact opposite.  Certain players not only knew about it but voiced their displeasure over it to multiple people in positions of authority (it seems).   It was clearly a problem for the entire team.

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

I finally got around to watching the video of her interview with the creep.  Based on the sudden resignations of Corey and Clint, I am reasonably sure some things happened that were not appropriate. That said, Ms. Memeth is short on specificity, is very vague and full of conjecture.  I know lots of defense lawyers that would like to depose her.  

The entire situation appears to have been badly handled by AU.  I suspect Lightfoot's report will not be pretty. 

A post that I can agree with. 

I don't think anybody is defending the coaches. It's the authenticity of the peculiar claims that's the issue. Around the 5:30 minute mark of the video, she implied Corey was using sexual relations for playing time. She even called him the "gatekeeper." She could've used actual evidence to prove that it was more than just Corey sleeping with a player. She could've and probably should've proved that it was deeper, that he was giving preferential treatment for those willing to have "sexual relations" with him. 

BTW, I'm surprised the other claims haven't been addressed yet. Such as the coaches made the injured girls play too soon after surgery or the emotional abuse inflicted upon them. 

15 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

A post that I can agree with. 

I don't think anybody is defending the coaches. It's the authenticity of the peculiar claims that's the issue. Around the 5:30 minute mark of the video, she implied Corey was using sexual relations for playing time. She even called him the "gatekeeper." She could've used actual evidence to prove that it was more than just Corey sleeping with a player. She could've and probably should've proved that it was deeper, that he was giving preferential treatment for those willing to have "sexual relations" with him. 

She might still in subsequent interviews and wildcards like Fagan might back her up.

This has really been an interesting discussion.

Guess I will start by saying......Forget the Corey thing....that's over and dealt with. 

What matters is the Title IX and the perception that AU ran a softball program where sex was the price of admission to the team.   I'm wondering what world some people live in to even think something like that is possible or that an entire coaching staff (not just CCM and CCM)  would work in that world.    And yet there are  some folks who seem to accept that possibility...without proof .....which to me is the worst form of slander. 

I always thought I was the resident cynic and maybe so but here we have probably a dozen AU people at all levels having looked into this situation over a period of nearly a year, meetings, phone calls, whatever and on the other side is a former player with what I consider outlandish claims.....pretty girls play,  coach allowed this, Corey was the "gatekeeper".....sexual favors in order to play or practice..... and on it goes with no real corroboration and she is considered the credible source....which means that some of you find it believable that the team is made up of a bunch of sluts willing to accommodate those conditions.   

I know in this volatile political age and with the internet, people are used to making outrageous claims and vilifying others with no thought of the damage they are doing and no fear that they will ever be called to account.  Just look at our former player for a moment....she can say whatever she wants, make whatever allegations that pop into her head and what's the worse that can happen to her...NOTHING.....getting her 15 minutes of fame now...and then gonna leave the rubble behind and try to play somewhere else 'cause I'm pretty sure AU is out of the picture.  

In my view, AU is being smeared and this whole situation is not doing my BP any good....:)

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

I find that hard to believe as well.   In fact, I believe it to be the exact opposite.  Certain players not only knew about it but voiced their displeasure over it to multiple people in positions of authority (it seems).   It was clearly a problem for the entire team.

Courtney was probably a bad example. And I meant McCrackin, not Gipson. Swing and a miss by me on that one. 

This was just posted on another free message board. The poster claims to be Nemeth's dad. Not sure it helps Nemeth's case at all  

I am the PROUD DAD of Alexa Nemeth.  She was invited to the Auburn Softball team by Corey Myers.  Auburn's Physics program met her academic needs. She arrived on campus and gave her all during the season.  She did her best at everything softball the coaching staff asked her to do plus some.  I want to thank everyone that realizes the courage it takes for an 18 year-old to take on an established Hall of Fame coach and a University Athletic department when they are not following university rules.

Upperclassmen told her she needed to go to another college to play softball.  She did consider that route but strongly felt that staying at Auburn to major in Physics was best for her long-term goals. 'Why should I leave when Coach was the one breaking university and NCAA policy?' she said. At that point, our family decided to fully support her.  We knew it was a mountainous fight.   

We still have no idea why Clint did not want her back this year!  His line was- two top recruit pitchers are coming so I don't need you!  Alexa proposed outfield or first base; Alexa was quite successful as a utility player in high school.  'You can't try outfield or first base because you take reps from other players' was his reply.  

Clint wanted to continue coaching because he likes teaching girls.  Seems like a match to me.  A willing, previously successful, student not costing the program a dime and a Hall of Fame coach that wants to teach girls.  As far as her pitching, she came into the program last year throwing 60.  Corey told her she needed to have a maximum speed of 57.

She had numerous successful practices during the year.  Clint and Corey moved her to outfield and batting for the Florida series and left the 3 freshman outfielders in Auburn.  Clint commented her outfield skills were mid of the pack for the outfielders on the roster.  That is pretty good for one week of work.  Once she knocked the rust off her batting, she showed potential.  Corey left March 30 and she was immediately relegated to shagging balls the remainder of the year along with throwing a bullpen every few weeks.  Never threw batting practice after January.

I have questions for the Hall of Fame coach.

You complain about hitting all year yet leave an untried bat on the bench-Why?

Your pride yourself in instruction,yet you cut a willing student of the game-Why?

If Clint had put her in the game, he may have gotten a pleasant surprise -- or she would have gotten shelled and realized Division I softball was not for her.  All she does know is that her teammates did not like hitting off of her and Clint had a GA retrieve her first home run in situational practice and write: "Nemo's first college home run 3/29/17"

Again I am proud of Alexa for following Clint's advice of "Excellence in everything" and thank all of the support she has gotten on this blog!

Alan Demaske

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

The media has fed us zero evidence either way so everybody should still be impartial and open-minded.

You should be a comedian, because that right there is funny; I don't care who you are.

5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You should be a comedian, because that right there is funny; I don't care who you are.

Should I quit my day job right away?

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Guess I will start by saying......Forget the Corey thing....that's over and dealt with. 

What matters is the Title IX and the perception that AU ran a softball program where sex was the price of admission to the team.   I'm wondering what world some people live in to even think something like that is possible or that an entire coaching staff (not just CCM and CCM)  would work in that world.    And yet there are  some folks who seem to accept that possibility...without proof .....which to me is the worst form of slander. 

I always thought I was the resident cynic and maybe so but here we have probably a dozen AU people at all levels having looked into this situation over a period of nearly a year, meetings, phone calls, whatever and on the other side is a former player with what I consider outlandish claims.....pretty girls play,  coach allowed this, Corey was the "gatekeeper".....sexual favors in order to play or practice..... and on it goes with no real corroboration and she is considered the credible source....which means that some of you find it believable that the team is made up of a bunch of sluts willing to accommodate those conditions.   

I know in this volatile political age and with the internet, people are used to making outrageous claims and vilifying others with no thought of the damage they are doing and no fear that they will ever be called to account.  Just look at our former player for a moment....she can say whatever she wants, make whatever allegations that pop into her head and what's the worse that can happen to her...NOTHING.....getting her 15 minutes of fame now...and then gonna leave the rubble behind and try to play somewhere else 'cause I'm pretty sure AU is out of the picture.  

In my view, AU is being smeared and this whole situation is not doing my BP any good....:)

I know you don't believe the allegations and don't think any of the girls are credible but Fagan was quoted in the ESPNW article saying:

That September resignation lasted only two weeks, Fagan said, after Clint Myers and another Auburn coach asked select members of the team to "go fight for Corey" with the athletic department.

"I wrote a letter saying that I didn't believe all that was being said, because I wanted to defend my coach," one former Auburn player told ESPN. "After all the stuff that happened in the spring, I felt like an idiot for even opening my mouth."

Fagan said she wouldn't defend Corey Myers during the fall investigation and instead tried to speak up about his inappropriate behavior. "I remember when I first went to Coach [Clint Myers] and [Auburn assistant] Scott Woodard ... they literally said, 'Define inappropriate relationships.'" 

As far as smearing the coaches, why did the university put out a statement saying that staff "changes" were made as the result of establishing the facts? If the coaches are so credible and are being smeared then the university did them no favors by putting out that statement. And notice the word was change(s), plural, so simply getting rid of Corey Meyers would only be 1 change, not change(s) which is what the university put out.

"While the law requires us to protect the privacy of our students, tying our hands about what can be said publicly, there is a reason changes took place with the coaching staff. As much as we may want to give more details, we have been approached by some of the student-athletes involved, directly asking us to protect them because they don't want their names made public. Once the facts were established, changes to the staff quickly followed."

Also, if Clint Meyers had no contract extension in the works, then why didn't Auburn publicly respond to clear up confusion back in July when the contract extension was being reported by several outlets?

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

IMO you can't forget the Corey "thing." It's the crux of this whole entire saga. It may be over and done, but the actions taken before, during, and after have everything to do with why this situation is where it is right now. It's the reason there is a Title IX complaint. It's the reason why former players are speaking out about all aspects of this situation. It's a reason why there was such turmoil within the team this year. It's the reason why Jay Jacobs and Meredith Jenkins and Clint Myers are under scrutiny for how they handled, or possibly mishandled, this event. 

I don't think this is a smear campaign at all, but @Auburnfan91 covered that pretty well. I won't rehash that because I see it the same way he does. It could all come out that the AD (Jacobs, Jenkins, and anyone else in the admin) handled it as well as they could, and I'd be perfectly fine with that result. But I think there are enough allegations to question that process right now. 

I understand the need to protect the privacy of the players involved but Auburn didn't have to worry about privacy of the players in order to correct the Clint Meyers contract extension reports. There's honestly no excuse for that.

12 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I understand the need to protect the privacy of the players involved but Auburn didn't have to worry about privacy of the players in order to correct the Clint Meyers contract extension reports. There's honestly no excuse for that.

It's debatable to say that the AD absolutely should've squashed those rumors in my opinion. Again, we only know the information that Al.com( bammer media) wants us to know. We can put Corey and Clint on blast but past that, we don't know a damn thing about what's really going on and what really happened with the handling of the situation. What's peculiar to me, is that for Nemeth's act of courage, her teammates didn't follow suit and give her support on the twitters or anything. Again, I'm not being dismissive of the claims, but at the same time, we don't have enough evidence to claim for the heads from the people of the top either. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

It's debatable to say that the AD absolutely should've squashed those rumors in my opinion. Again, we only know the information that Al.com( bammer media) wants us to know. We can put Corey and Clint on blast but past that, we don't know a damn thing about what's really going on and what really happened with the handling of the situation. What's peculiar to me, is that for Nemeth's act of courage, her teammates didn't follow suit and give her support on the twitters or anything. Again, I'm not being dismissive of the claims, but at the same time, we don't have enough evidence to claim for the heads from the people of the top either. 

I will not be surprised if more players come out in support of her now that she had the courage to come out.  Wallace transfering may be a subtle way of support.

wde

Archived