Null



WDE_OxPx_2010

ESPNW report on sexual harassment

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It's debatable to say that the AD absolutely should've squashed those rumors in my opinion. Again, we only know the information that Al.com( bammer media) wants us to know. We can put Corey and Clint on blast but past that, we don't know a damn thing about what's really going on and what really happened with the handling of the situation. What's peculiar to me, is that for Nemeth's act of courage, her teammates didn't follow suit and give her support on the twitters or anything. Again, I'm not being dismissive of the claims, but at the same time, we don't have enough evidence to claim for the heads from the people of the top either. 

 

Jay G Tate was the first to report the contract extension. He's the reporter Cassie Arner referred to as the "friendly reporter. That was a direct quote from Clint Myers to JGT. JGT even texted Jacobs to get confirmation right after the meeting. Heck, Auburn had an SID in the meeting with him and Clint. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




JJ just sent out an email about the situation. FYI. 

 

Word From Jay Jacobs

August 31, 2017

 

As you may be aware, there has been a lot of important information in the news about our softball program recently. I take it seriously and I want you to know what took place. It is concerning that recent reporting about our softball program has incorrectly suggested that Auburn University and Auburn Athletics either didn’t know about or didn’t act on matters of concern in an expeditious manner. I can tell you with certainty that we did and that we will always do what is right for our student-athletes.

First, a little context. Because of the importance of Title IX compliance and the structure and process Auburn has established, we in Athletics defer to those conducting any investigation following a complaint. We cannot, and will not, take action which could be disruptive to or attempt to influence that investigative and decision-making process.

With that said, last Fall we received an anonymous allegation about wrongdoing on the coaching staff. An investigation began and action was taken that ultimately led to changes with the coaching staff because of the factual findings of a fair and thorough investigation.
In support of this, let me make three key points:

  1. Wrongdoing took place by the assistant coach on the softball team and that is why he is no longer part of the staff. Before a decision was announced regarding the head coach, he decided to retire.
  2. Members of the team asked the athletics department to handle this discreetly. They are young women and I was determined to honor their request for privacy.
  3. I made the decision to walk a line that involved making changes to the coaching staff while respecting the privacy of those who asked for it. It was not an easy line to walk and that’s why I said the things I said and handled it as I did. I’m an Athletics Director and I’m a father. I handled the coaches the way an AD should handle them and I handled the students the way I think a father would want it handled.

To me, this matter has always been about protecting and supporting student-athletes, young women who did not want their names in the news. Of course, there are also policies, procedures, processes and laws we must follow.

It’s important to remember that sometimes the length of an investigation is determined by the willingness of those with information to feel comfortable coming forward. We encouraged communication. In the end, we appreciate and applaud all who had the courage to speak up and share their concerns.

During this process, I answered a question about whether there was an investigation under way. I answered that question in a manner that was guarded to the point that made some people question the accuracy of my words. In retrospect, I could have been more forthcoming about the investigation. But, I wanted to live up to the promise I made to the students who asked for confidentiality. I erred on the side of maintaining my promise to these young women.

Taking action while maintaining confidentiality is not easy. But as always, I will be certain that the Auburn staff lives up to the high standards we expect and that the students who play for us know that the Athletics Department will honor their privacy requests and help them in every way we can.

As a member of the Auburn Family, you have a right to know what took place. Thank you for letting me share this information with you.

God Bless and War Eagle!

 

Jay

 

Auburn University Logo

Jay Jacobs

Director of Athletics

Auburn Athletics Department | AuburnTigers.com

(334) 844-9891 | athldir@auburn.edu | Twitter Logo @JayJacobsAUAD

Auburn University: The Best School for the Best Athletes

 



If you would like to be removed from this mailing list, please click here.

getimage.ashx?ID=625&Email=adrienne.bent

Edited by AidiAU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I will not be surprised if more players come out in support of her now that she had the courage to come out.  Wallace transfering may be a subtle way of support.

 

wde

Either way won't surprise me at all. But after the video, you'd think there would be some type of "you go girl" reaction.Regardless of the support after the video, after hearing the claims on the video which were void of any solid support to back the claims, I'm taking a raincheck on bashing the admin. Like I tell my wife, there are always two sides to a story and the truth is usually smack dab in the middle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

JJ just sent out an email about the situation. FYI. 

 

Word From Jay Jacobs

August 31, 2017

 

As you may be aware, there has been a lot of important information in the news about our softball program recently. I take it seriously and I want you to know what took place. It is concerning that recent reporting about our softball program has incorrectly suggested that Auburn University and Auburn Athletics either didn’t know about or didn’t act on matters of concern in an expeditious manner. I can tell you with certainty that we did and that we will always do what is right for our student-athletes.

First, a little context. Because of the importance of Title IX compliance and the structure and process Auburn has established, we in Athletics defer to those conducting any investigation following a complaint. We cannot, and will not, take action which could be disruptive to or attempt to influence that investigative and decision-making process.

With that said, last Fall we received an anonymous allegation about wrongdoing on the coaching staff. An investigation began and action was taken that ultimately led to changes with the coaching staff because of the factual findings of a fair and thorough investigation.
In support of this, let me make three key points:

  1. Wrongdoing took place by the assistant coach on the softball team and that is why he is no longer part of the staff. Before a decision was announced regarding the head coach, he decided to retire.
  2. Members of the team asked the athletics department to handle this discreetly. They are young women and I was determined to honor their request for privacy.
  3. I made the decision to walk a line that involved making changes to the coaching staff while respecting the privacy of those who asked for it. It was not an easy line to walk and that’s why I said the things I said and handled it as I did. I’m an Athletics Director and I’m a father. I handled the coaches the way an AD should handle them and I handled the students the way I think a father would want it handled.

To me, this matter has always been about protecting and supporting student-athletes, young women who did not want their names in the news. Of course, there are also policies, procedures, processes and laws we must follow.

It’s important to remember that sometimes the length of an investigation is determined by the willingness of those with information to feel comfortable coming forward. We encouraged communication. In the end, we appreciate and applaud all who had the courage to speak up and share their concerns.

During this process, I answered a question about whether there was an investigation under way. I answered that question in a manner that was guarded to the point that made some people question the accuracy of my words. In retrospect, I could have been more forthcoming about the investigation. But, I wanted to live up to the promise I made to the students who asked for confidentiality. I erred on the side of maintaining my promise to these young women.

Taking action while maintaining confidentiality is not easy. But as always, I will be certain that the Auburn staff lives up to the high standards we expect and that the students who play for us know that the Athletics Department will honor their privacy requests and help them in every way we can.

As a member of the Auburn Family, you have a right to know what took place. Thank you for letting me share this information with you.

God Bless and War Eagle!

 

Jay

 

Auburn University Logo

Jay Jacobs

Director of Athletics

Auburn Athletics Department | AuburnTigers.com

(334) 844-9891 | athldir@auburn.edu | Twitter Logo @JayJacobsAUAD

Auburn University: The Best School for the Best Athletes

 



If you would like to be removed from this mailing list, please click here.

getimage.ashx?ID=625&Email=adrienne.bent

So the investigation lasted 7 months and Corey was allowed to coach while under investigation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Jay G Tate was the first to report the contract extension. He's the reporter Cassie Arner referred to as the "friendly reporter. That was a direct quote from Clint Myers to JGT. JGT even texted Jacobs to get confirmation right after the meeting. Heck, Auburn had an SID in the meeting with him and Clint. 

I'm assuming that you're implying that JJ confirmed it via text to JGT? Is this correct? 

I wasn't a fly in the room, but I have to think student welfare would've been top priority before any new extension was negotiated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

broom

no, it began as closed and re-opened do to many reasons that have been stated

 

Edited by auburnphan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

It was not an easy line to walk and that’s why I said the things I said and handled it as I did. I’m an Athletics Director and I’m a father. I handled the coaches the way an AD should handle them and I handled the students the way I think a father would want it handled.

No father would want their children getting pressured into quid pro quo situations involving sexual relations for playing time. 

Edited by aujeff11
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I'm assuming that you're implying that JJ confirmed it via text to JGT? Is this correct? 

I wasn't a fly in the room, but I have to think student welfare would've been top priority before any new extension was negotiated. 

No, JJ never confirmed the extension that day or ever. He never responded, according to JGT. But there's an Auburn employee that was in the room that can corroborate the conversation. Al.com and the Montgomery Advertiser (I believe) tried to reach out to JJ for his comments on the extension, to which JJ never responded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

broom

no, it began as closed and re-opened do to many reasons that have been stated

 

So, the investigation was opened and closed and then re-opened? Why doesn't he just say that because his statement doesn't say that? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, boomstick said:

So, the investigation was opened and closed and then re-opened? Why doesn't he just say that because his statement doesn't say that? 

"It’s important to remember that sometimes the length of an investigation is determined by the willingness of those with information to feel comfortable coming forward."

It's more like the investigation was on hold due to no reliable info until reliable info came out.  Just how I see it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

"It’s important to remember that sometimes the length of an investigation is determined by the willingness of those with information to feel comfortable coming forward."

It's more like the investigation was on hold due to no reliable info until reliable info came out.  Just how I see it

I guess I could see that. But if your goal is to protect the student athlete and there's been a complaint about a coach in this nature, it seems allowing him to go back into a situation where that behavior could continue is unwise. It seems there is a contradiction between the actions here and the statement released when it comes to protecting athletes.

I don't know that the AD did anything wrong procedurally, but I'm not certain it was the right decision either. Hindsight being 20/20, that complaint turned out to be true, and some players had to steal the information to prove the behavior or it could still be going on. That investigation, and the details surrounding it, are what will show that the AD administration acted appropriately or didn't. And we will probably never be privy to that information. 

Edited by boomstick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The part I have trouble believing in that theory is not that Corey could have done it, but that there would actually be a group of girls on the team who would go along with it.

Have you ever experienced sexual harassment by someone who can take away everything you've worked hard for since you were a child? Have you ever been sexually harassed by someone who holds financial power over you and your future? I have, and when I was  much younger and inexperienced, I was at a loss as to how to handle it. At that time of my life I just tried to ignore it, or work around it somehow, and hope it would resolve itself. As I entered my 30's and 40's  I learned not to take any crap. You have no idea how upsetting,confusing,and frightening it can be. It is totally understandable to me that many of the girls just kept their heads down and kept quiet. They want their scholarships, and their degrees. They were probably trying not to take sides as a form of self protection.  Not only was Corey a coach.....but Clint was also his Dad.  And AU softball was finally a big contender. I bet they understood what all of that meant. Or maybe they were reminded of it. Obviously there was trouble with the team, and the coaches were involved in something serious. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Either way won't surprise me at all. But after the video, you'd think there would be some type of "you go girl" reaction.Regardless of the support after the video, after hearing the claims on the video which were void of any solid support to back the claims, I'm taking a raincheck on bashing the admin. Like I tell my wife, there are always two sides to a story and the truth is usually smack dab in the middle. 

I guess but sometimes one side is lying out their you know what......hoping someone will buy their act.:dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AU64 said:

I guess but sometimes one side is lying out their you know what......hoping someone will buy their act.:dunno:

You mean like the coaches and the AD?

 

wde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

You mean like the coaches and the AD?

 

wde

Or one player or some few players. Some of us on here are acting like the reporters were acting when the non-scandal Cam Newton issue was hot news. Auburn people should have learned from that. I think any sane person would wait to see what actually happened before passing judgement.

Least case scenario, a coach and player were involved in a consensual relationship, Auburn (properly) fired the coach and now some few disgruntled players who weren't starting or getting much playing time are taking advantage of the situation to make waves.

Worst case(not likely): Multiple players involved with with a "sex for playing time" setup. Lets learn the truth before running around acting like Hollywood scandal reporters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, steeleagle said:

No, If Carlee left because others were going after her coaches, then read her quotes from when she said she was transferring to Baylor. She thanked the fans, and her teammates.

Not ONE thank you to her head coach. Seems more like she lost respect for her head coach.

That tells me she left because she didnt like how her coaches were handling these internal issues. She felt it best to just leave and not be a part of the fallout. 

Leaving Auburn for BAYLOR with these kinds of accusations flying looks extremely bad...:-\

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AidiAU said:

JJ just sent out an email about the situation. FYI. 

 

Word From Jay Jacobs

August 31, 2017

 

As you may be aware, there has been a lot of important information in the news about our softball program recently. I take it seriously and I want you to know what took place. It is concerning that recent reporting about our softball program has incorrectly suggested that Auburn University and Auburn Athletics either didn’t know about or didn’t act on matters of concern in an expeditious manner. I can tell you with certainty that we did and that we will always do what is right for our student-athletes.

First, a little context. Because of the importance of Title IX compliance and the structure and process Auburn has established, we in Athletics defer to those conducting any investigation following a complaint. We cannot, and will not, take action which could be disruptive to or attempt to influence that investigative and decision-making process.

With that said, last Fall we received an anonymous allegation about wrongdoing on the coaching staff. An investigation began and action was taken that ultimately led to changes with the coaching staff because of the factual findings of a fair and thorough investigation.
In support of this, let me make three key points:

  1. Wrongdoing took place by the assistant coach on the softball team and that is why he is no longer part of the staff. Before a decision was announced regarding the head coach, he decided to retire.
  2. Members of the team asked the athletics department to handle this discreetly. They are young women and I was determined to honor their request for privacy.
  3. I made the decision to walk a line that involved making changes to the coaching staff while respecting the privacy of those who asked for it. It was not an easy line to walk and that’s why I said the things I said and handled it as I did. I’m an Athletics Director and I’m a father. I handled the coaches the way an AD should handle them and I handled the students the way I think a father would want it handled.

To me, this matter has always been about protecting and supporting student-athletes, young women who did not want their names in the news. Of course, there are also policies, procedures, processes and laws we must follow.

It’s important to remember that sometimes the length of an investigation is determined by the willingness of those with information to feel comfortable coming forward. We encouraged communication. In the end, we appreciate and applaud all who had the courage to speak up and share their concerns.

During this process, I answered a question about whether there was an investigation under way. I answered that question in a manner that was guarded to the point that made some people question the accuracy of my words. In retrospect, I could have been more forthcoming about the investigation. But, I wanted to live up to the promise I made to the students who asked for confidentiality. I erred on the side of maintaining my promise to these young women.

Taking action while maintaining confidentiality is not easy. But as always, I will be certain that the Auburn staff lives up to the high standards we expect and that the students who play for us know that the Athletics Department will honor their privacy requests and help them in every way we can.

As a member of the Auburn Family, you have a right to know what took place. Thank you for letting me share this information with you.

God Bless and War Eagle!

 

Jay

 

Auburn University Logo

Jay Jacobs

Director of Athletics

Auburn Athletics Department | AuburnTigers.com

(334) 844-9891 | athldir@auburn.edu | Twitter Logo @JayJacobsAUAD

Auburn University: The Best School for the Best Athletes

 



If you would like to be removed from this mailing list, please click here.

getimage.ashx?ID=625&Email=adrienne.bent

Lightfoot has already started earning their money...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be more satisfied and things would seem to be much clear if the university would provide a timeline of events. Right now, there's just as many questions with the university's statements as there are with the former players' statements. IMO neither is doing themselves any favors in trying to prove their side. I think one thing has become pretty clear: the process by which these situations are handled and investigated could use some re-vamping. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2017 at 5:37 PM, boomstick said:

This was just posted on another free message board. The poster claims to be Nemeth's dad. Not sure it helps Nemeth's case at all  

I am the PROUD DAD of Alexa Nemeth.  She was invited to the Auburn Softball team by Corey Myers.  Auburn's Physics program met her academic needs. She arrived on campus and gave her all during the season.  She did her best at everything softball the coaching staff asked her to do plus some.  I want to thank everyone that realizes the courage it takes for an 18 year-old to take on an established Hall of Fame coach and a University Athletic department when they are not following university rules.

Upperclassmen told her she needed to go to another college to play softball.  She did consider that route but strongly felt that staying at Auburn to major in Physics was best for her long-term goals. 'Why should I leave when Coach was the one breaking university and NCAA policy?' she said. At that point, our family decided to fully support her.  We knew it was a mountainous fight.   

We still have no idea why Clint did not want her back this year!  His line was- two top recruit pitchers are coming so I don't need you!  Alexa proposed outfield or first base; Alexa was quite successful as a utility player in high school.  'You can't try outfield or first base because you take reps from other players' was his reply.  

Clint wanted to continue coaching because he likes teaching girls.  Seems like a match to me.  A willing, previously successful, student not costing the program a dime and a Hall of Fame coach that wants to teach girls.  As far as her pitching, she came into the program last year throwing 60.  Corey told her she needed to have a maximum speed of 57.

She had numerous successful practices during the year.  Clint and Corey moved her to outfield and batting for the Florida series and left the 3 freshman outfielders in Auburn.  Clint commented her outfield skills were mid of the pack for the outfielders on the roster.  That is pretty good for one week of work.  Once she knocked the rust off her batting, she showed potential.  Corey left March 30 and she was immediately relegated to shagging balls the remainder of the year along with throwing a bullpen every few weeks.  Never threw batting practice after January.

I have questions for the Hall of Fame coach.

You complain about hitting all year yet leave an untried bat on the bench-Why?

Your pride yourself in instruction,yet you cut a willing student of the game-Why?

If Clint had put her in the game, he may have gotten a pleasant surprise -- or she would have gotten shelled and realized Division I softball was not for her.  All she does know is that her teammates did not like hitting off of her and Clint had a GA retrieve her first home run in situational practice and write: "Nemo's first college home run 3/29/17"

Again I am proud of Alexa for following Clint's advice of "Excellence in everything" and thank all of the support she has gotten on this blog!

Alan Demaske

 
 

This is all interesting and certainly a father's view - wonder WHY, since we have the MaxPreps, FloSoftball and American Family Insurance All-USA National Player of the Year in Swindle, two returning starters and 2 new pitchers on scholarship, two established outfielders and big-time batters coming in she didn't take her teammates advice and go to a team where she might get more playing time.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If she was only half as talented as daddy claims.

 

 

Not all that unusual I guess.....maybe she was trying to live up to expectations and needed reasons for not doing it....and Dad had high expectations and probably hoped she could earn a scholarship.... and needed reasons also.   I've seen this stuff in kid's sports and guess there is no age limit for it. JMO  Whatever...it sure got nasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2017 at 8:47 PM, aujeff11 said:

Either way won't surprise me at all. But after the video, you'd think there would be some type of "you go girl" reaction.Regardless of the support after the video, after hearing the claims on the video which were void of any solid support to back the claims, I'm taking a raincheck on bashing the admin. Like I tell my wife, there are always two sides to a story and the truth is usually smack dab in the middle. 

How do you know they haven't been supporting her?  I don't know if this girl is telling the complete truth or not....but she may be talking privately with people who don't want the media spotlight. Or she could be the softball version of Chaz Ramsey. She may feel safer being the one to talk because she has family support. What we do know is that Corey had no qualms about having an affair with a team member. We don't know for sure if he was inappropriate with others but I do think there's reason to think he may have had a pattern of that kind of behavior. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

How do you know they haven't been supporting her?

I mean I guess they could be silently supporting her, but that's not much real support at all imo. Only one is sticking their neck out and it's only her receiving the criticism for her vague message during that AL.com interview. If somebody is willing to provide credibility to her message, I'm not sure what is stopping them. Other than Bass, we've already seen girls like Rachael Walters provide support for Clint and offer "disgust" for her former teammates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2017 at 5:03 PM, WarTiger said:

I find that hard to believe as well.   In fact, I believe it to be the exact opposite.  Certain players not only knew about it but voiced their displeasure over it to multiple people in positions of authority (it seems).   It was clearly a problem for the entire team.

If Courtney Shea had concerns about Corey or any other member of the coaching staff, her concerns would have been addressed.  Her dad has more pull than anyone with regard to softball..  He is the reason Clint Myers is at Auburn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now