ESPNW report on sexual harassment

Everyone calm down and look at the timeline. The complaint says the Clint was notified on March 30. Corey was gone on April 3. There was no cover-up.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Well....we all smelled the smoke.....so here's the fire. :angryfire:

Clint Meyers has a Neanderthal son with no concept of  appropriate boundaries and professional behavior...and he chose to protect Corey over his duty as a Coach. His 40 year career is ruined, his family is in crisis, the team has been put through hell, and Auburn's reputation will take a big hit.  What I want to know is this.....was there any hint of sexual harassment complaints at ASU? Sunny Golloway's behavior was well known at OU and he should never have been hired. Auburn escaped a big,embarrassing mess by getting rid of him quickly, but I never understood why he was even invited to coach at Auburn.  If this was another situation where troubling behavior was overlooked then Jay Jacobs should be in very hot water. Good Grief this is just awful.

Apparently JJ or higher-ups made Clint get rid of Corey, he didn't do it on his own.

9 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Apparently JJ or higher-ups made Clint get rid of Corey, he didn't do it on his own.

Link? How about we not drag Clint through the mud without proof.

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Everyone calm down and look at the timeline. The complaint says the Clint was notified on March 30. Corey was gone on April 3. There was no cover-up.

The "fight for Corey" part of the article suggests that he was well aware and possibly covering for Corey. 

Former Auburn player Haley Fagan told ESPN several members of the team sent Auburn’s athletics department anonymous ethic complaints. The university conducted an internal investigation, leading to Corey Myers’ resignation in September 2016 — but he returned two weeks later when Clint Myers asked players to “go fight for Corey” with the athletic department.

One player told ESPN she wrote a letter defending Corey Myers during that time. “After all the stuff that happened in the spring, I felt like an idiot for even opening my mouth.”

Fagan said Corey Myers “smacked me on the butt” during a fielding drill during her first season on the team.

A rift among the players started prior to a trip to Florida on March 27 concerning Corey Myers. Later that weekend, Fagan had a confrontation with Florida coach Tim Walton in what ESPN reports was sparked by the high-ranging emotions within the Auburn program before the game.

Fagan and Kasey Cooper also refused to board the bus with a player who “allegedly exchanged text messages with Corey Myers” on the day of the “quarantine” on the bus before a trip to Georgia on March 30.

“We said that if she gets on, we’re staying off,” Fagan told ESPN. “It was a team decision.”

Nemeth’s attorney alleges Auburn coaches “looked the other way” because of the dynamic between the father-son coaching duo.

Nemeth said she felt “vindicated” when alerted of Clint Myers’ resignation Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Clint should've been booted out the door too. He covered for Corey. His job required that the well being of the team be paramount to anything else.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Link? How about we not drag Clint through the mud without proof.

No link, just from a family member of one of the softball players and a big donor to the program.

Any wonder why some of us worry about the nepotism in college sports.....blood being thicker than water as they say.    

The time line is interesting and seems like action was taken pretty quickly but there does seem to be some stuff going on that did not get publicized.    If so, the "fighting for Corey" request was not an appropriate thing for Clint to do...

I  Expect Corey begged daddy to keep him and that he would change his ways.....if Corey had just been another young assistant coach, chance are he would have been gone without a question after the first incident....and that would have been that.

Is JF3 still dating Haley F? Just curious as he retweeted the espn article...

I just can't imagine higher ups in AU ignoring this with the nightmares that happened at Penn St. and Baylor. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Any wonder why some of us worry about the nepotism in college sports.....blood being thicker than water as they say.    

The time line is interesting and seems like action was taken pretty quickly but there does seem to be some stuff going on that did not get publicized.    If so, the "fighting for Corey" request was not an appropriate thing for Clint to do...

I  Expect Corey begged daddy to keep him and that he would change his ways.....if Corey had just been another young assistant coach, chance are he would have been gone without a question after the first incident....and that would have been that.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Daddy hears players defending son after the anonymous complaints and doesn't want to believe it, so he leads the defensive charge. He's finally provided proof by players and reluctantly pulls the trigger. Had there been no relationship, the problem would have gone away pre-season.

Just now, auburnphan said:

I would not believe a single word that comes out of HF's mouth.

I found it VERY curious that she spoke openly to espn - almost like she was trying to capitalize on the situation. 

What a mess.

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I would not believe a single word that comes out of HF's mouth.

After her suspension, she's probably not a big fan.....so guess I could see her taking the chance to get back.

Otherwise......players who are not playing who think they should be playing, etc, etc.....wondering how many "pure" motives are involved on both sides?  

I guess the next step will be players transferring......

What a mess. This is why it's wise to not cast stones at other Universities when various negative situations arise. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

The "fight for Corey" part of the article suggests that he was well aware and possibly covering for Corey. 

Former Auburn player Haley Fagan told ESPN several members of the team sent Auburn’s athletics department anonymous ethic complaints. The university conducted an internal investigation, leading to Corey Myers’ resignation in September 2016 — but he returned two weeks later when Clint Myers asked players to “go fight for Corey” with the athletic department.

One player told ESPN she wrote a letter defending Corey Myers during that time. “After all the stuff that happened in the spring, I felt like an idiot for even opening my mouth.”

Fagan said Corey Myers “smacked me on the butt” during a fielding drill during her first season on the team.

A rift among the players started prior to a trip to Florida on March 27 concerning Corey Myers. Later that weekend, Fagan had a confrontation with Florida coach Tim Walton in what ESPN reports was sparked by the high-ranging emotions within the Auburn program before the game.

Fagan and Kasey Cooper also refused to board the bus with a player who “allegedly exchanged text messages with Corey Myers” on the day of the “quarantine” on the bus before a trip to Georgia on March 30.

“We said that if she gets on, we’re staying off,” Fagan told ESPN. “It was a team decision.”

Nemeth’s attorney alleges Auburn coaches “looked the other way” because of the dynamic between the father-son coaching duo.

Nemeth said she felt “vindicated” when alerted of Clint Myers’ resignation Wednesday.

At that point you have a dad faced with anonymous complaints about his son and a number of players defending him. Who's side is he going to take? When he had proof, he acted. He may have been reluctant, again because it's his son, but he let him go. To me, you have to stretch to get cover-up, but you do have a rock solid case against coaching families.

I said it in the other thread and got chastised so....can we officially say that this looks bad now? I could see a JJ departure at the end of this journey. What a damn mess....

Just now, fredst said:

I said it in the other thread and got chastised so....can we officially say that this looks bad now? I could see a JJ departure at the end of this journey. What a damn mess....

i can't see what JJ did wrong

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Got some who are just looking for a reason to get rid of JJ and will grasp anything that looks like an opportunity....nothing new now in that regard....

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Yet.... these things often don't end well for the people at the top. Hell, JJ may be pure as the driven snow but this whole situation has been a smoldering dung heap for a pretty good while now. 

I feel badly for the 2017 recruits, who just started class.  They're recruited for several years by someone they think is one of the top softball coaches in the country, and understandably so.  Now they get here, and not only does he resign just as they're about to start, he leaves this mess behind him.  I couldn't blame any of them for deciding to play somewhere else. 

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

At that point you have a dad faced with anonymous complaints about his son and a number of players defending him

From my understanding, they were defending him because Clint told them to defend him.

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

From my understanding, they were defending him because Clint told them to defend him.

That was Clint's second mistake,  asking the girls to defend Corey. 

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

That was Clint's second mistake,  asking the girls to defend Corey. 

IMO....maybe the biggest one....should have never gone that route ....getting the players involved in university politics or whatever you want to call it was a very unwise move.   .  

Archived