If Michigan can do it

fredst

I wouldn't mind subtle changes if the players wanted them. A few years back Nike did special alternate uniforms for about 8 schools at the beginning of the year. I can't remember the name of the line though. Some of those looked really nice and weren't too crazy.

Edit: I remember. The line was called Pro Combat.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

And I don't see the big whoop with not jumping on the alt-uni bandwagon.

Are you open to the occasional uniform change?  Say one game every year or every other?  I am starting to open up to this idea, not sure why, besides I think the players and recruits will enjoy it.  I do have to say most alt-uniforms are pretty ugly.

i bet if two or three five star studs we wanted bad would play for us if we tweaked the uni's once a year more folks would be in line for it.

Just now, auburnphan said:

Are you open to the occasional uniform change?  Say one game every year or every other?  I am starting to open up to this idea, not sure why, besides I think the players and recruits will enjoy it.  I do have to say most alt-uniforms are pretty ugly.

Not really.  I mean, if somehow the fashion mavens get it pushed through and it happens, I'm not going to fall apart.  But do I want this alt-uniform deal at Auburn?  No.  I especially hate it when both teams do it at the same time and I'm watching on TV trying to figure out who these teams are.  I love our uniforms.  And I love that we are one of the few teams left that don't play this silly merchandising game that Nike, Under Armour and others have cooked up to sell more stuff.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i bet if two or three five star studs we wanted bad would play for us if we tweaked the uni's once a year more folks would be in line for it.

In all honesty, if the difference in a 5-star stud signing with us or someone else is a matter of fashion, I have to question how serious the kid is about football.

27 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Huh?  "Jumped the shark" is term referencing the television show Happy Days when Fonzy literally jumped over a shark .  How is that referencing bestiality?

As for the thread topic, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD do something.  Our unis are so freaking good.  Meanwhile, those Michigan and Florida color rush unis are just the dirt worst. 

To quote the movie Tommy Boy: "Did you eat paint chips as a kid?"

thes young men still have some kid in them. if it is not cheating i say try it. did the uni's not skyrocket the oregon ducks popularity as much as chip having them win a bunch of games? and i understand the tradition. i  remember once several years back our home uni's were voted the best looking but we are talking dye or bowden era best i can remember.

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

If you're going to be a jerk should get the right info, lol. It was 1978.

Last time we wore them was the November 15, 1980 vs Georgia.  We lost 31-21.  But you're right, we wore them a few times before that.  The 1978 UGA game was a 22-22 tie.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

thes young men still have some kid in them. if it is not cheating i say try it. did the uni's not skyrocket the oregon ducks popularity as much as chip having them win a bunch of games? 

No.  If Chip was going 5-7 year after year, nobody would have cared if they wore aluminum foil and Christmas wrapping paper for uniforms.

maybe so titan but all i remember is all the talk about their uni's at the time. they got a ton of great pub out of it.

IMG_6329.JPGIMG_6330.JPGIMG_6331.JPGIMG_6332.JPGIMG_6333.JPG

http://uniformcritics.com/football/college/alabama-crimson-tide/2010-bama-houndstooth-nike-pro-combat/

I mean Bama did this a few years back. To anyone watching them on TV, it's obviously still Bama and the casual fan may not even notice strictly from the TV. But it was something new and had a sleek look to it. I wouldn't say it's breaking their tradition though.

13 hours ago, fredst said:

C'mon, Michigan has as much tradition as any program in the country. If they can break from the standard uni why can't we? I think all blue would look awesome and I'm as tied to tradition as anybody out there. This is what UM is wearing against UF:

IMG_0029.JPG

Plus, we needed one last alternate uniform debate before the season starts?

They are going to look like a bunch French's mustard bottles running on the field! smh

Lets scrap the white helmets and go to brown leather. Doesn't get more traditional than that!!!

But seriously, these are kids we are talking about. I mean Chik-Fil-A is what the deciding factor was between Clemson and AU for Cassanova McKinzy. It's not a stretch to think jerseys and gear play into how attractive a school can be for a kid. If chicken biscuits can make a difference so can jersey options IMO.

On a positive note... if ALL we're really concerned with and bantering about are UNI changes right now...

Ladies and Gentlemen, we might just be on the cusp of a GREAT year!!

jus sayin...

and btw... IF we had to change... only for the HOMECOMING game, throwback uni"s especially... or all Blue unis or an orange jersey's etc...  would be cool.

28 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lets scrap the white helmets and go to brown leather. Doesn't get more traditional than that!!!

But seriously, these are kids we are talking about. I mean Chik-Fil-A is what the deciding factor was between Clemson and AU for Cassanova McKinzy. It's not a stretch to think jerseys and gear play into how attractive a school can be for a kid. If chicken biscuits can make a difference so can jersey options IMO.

Did he not know that Clemson has a Chic-Fil-A on campus?  

1 minute ago, AUHighPlainsDrifter said:

Did he not know that Clemson has a Chic-Fil-A on campus?  

He cited the ease of access to Chic-Fil-A as the difference maker, which may be sillier when looking at it through the eyes of a fully mature adult really

3 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I respectfully disagree. I don't want 18-22 year olds deciding what's important about tradition.

This is (relatively) important to alumni. We shouldn't be getting into the trendy uniform war. We're about bringing your lunch and work. Hard work.

As an alumnus, I am in full support of giving the players what they want, especially if it's just for one game. "Tradition" goes way beyond just a football uniform. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

Not really.  I mean, if somehow the fashion mavens get it pushed through and it happens, I'm not going to fall apart.  But do I want this alt-uniform deal at Auburn?  No.  I especially hate it when both teams do it at the same time and I'm watching on TV trying to figure out who these teams are.  I love our uniforms.  And I love that we are one of the few teams left that don't play this silly merchandising game that Nike, Under Armour and others have cooked up to sell more stuff.

And the more others do it, the classier we look for not doing it. 

But if we ever do, I only hope that it's an historically accurate throwback, not something custom.

4 hours ago, kd4au said:

When you have something that is as near perfect as an Auburn uniform you may tweak it but you don't need to overhaul it,so I say NO. IMO we have the best looking unis in the country. :wareagle: 

FYI, folks if you would like to see this years tweaks to our uniforms, read the BSPN article about Uniform changes and who's doing it. We are about 3/4 way down. I could not get the picture to copy paste.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20378626/more-100-teams-covered-uni-watch-2017-college-football-preview

Those MI uniforms are terrible. Wow. 

And why would we want to change the best uniform in college football? Our home blue and away white "storm trooper" uniforms are fantastic. 

I've still yet to see an alternate uniform proposal that I liked. I don't feel that strongly about either side of the argument, but until someone comes up with something that is (in my opinion) more appealing than our traditional uni's, I'll lean to the side of tradition. 

Archived