Art Briles out as CFL coach

aubiefifty

Art Briles out as CFL coach, due to backlash

By Mark Heim

mheim@al.com

Well, that didn't take long.

On the same day former Baylor coach Art Briles was hired by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the CFL and the team backtracked and said he will not be joining the team after all.

"Art Briles will no longer be joining the Hamilton Tiger-Cats as a coach," a statement released Monday night said from the CFL and Tiger-Cats.

"We came to this decision this evening following a lengthy discussion between the league and the Hamilton organization. We wish Mr. Briles all the best in his future endeavours."

Briles, 61, was fired in May 2016 by Baylor after an investigation by a law firm found that over several years the school mishandled numerous sexual assault.

Earlier Monday, Briles' attorney, Mark Lanier, told The Associated Press his client was excited to get back to Xs and Os. Lanier did not immediately responded to phone messages left Monday night.

New Tiger-Cats coach June Jones, promoted last week from offensive assistant after the team got off to an 0-8 start, was ready to give Briles the opportunity to coach again.

A little before noon eastern time Monday, Hamilton tweeted out a news release announcing Briles had been hired as assistant head coach of offense and celebrating his college record -- though making no mention of his departure from Baylor.

ADVERTISING

The hiring was announced the same day as the team was scheduled to host a women's football clinic, which also received plenty of pointed remarks on social media.

Initially, Ticats CEO Scott Mitchell defended the hiring and said the organization had no intention of rescinding it.

"This is about giving someone a second chance and we're committed to doing that," Mitchell told the 3DownNation blog, according to The Canadian Press. "For every reaction that you're getting from social media and media, there's a tremendous amount of support behind the scenes for a tough decision. I think a lot of people in this world, including myself, have made bad decisions and have regrets and I certainly feel strongly that in this case, Art Briles deserves a second opportunity."

The backlash was swift.

Former NHL star Theo Fleury, who was sexually abused by his junior coach, tweeted: "If you knew and didn't say anything then you are just as much a part of rape as the people who committed rape. Shame on #CFL."

........SOME of you folks came down hard on me over opposing  getting art as a coach. one was a mod and extremely rude. now imagine the fallout if ya'll got your way and he was hired at auburn. Now add that with the crap over our softball coaches. as much as some people like to make fun of auburn and our rep i cannot imagine the fallout if we hired briles. i am glad some did not get their way over hiring him.Always take the high road. always..........

10 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

........SOME of you folks came down hard on me over opposing  getting art as a coach. one was a mod and extremely rude. now imagine the fallout if ya'll got your way and he was hired at auburn. Now add that with the crap over our softball coaches. as much as some people like to make fun of auburn and our rep i cannot imagine the fallout if we hired briles. i am glad some did not get their way over hiring him.Always take the high road. always..........

Kudos to you on that take.  I knew we wouldn't take him, but was surprised we didn't go with his son Kendall over Chip.  But, I never expected even Art to be this toxic of a hire.  Kudos to Canada (never thought I'd be saying that).

On 8/29/2017 at 5:57 PM, aufan57 said:

Off topic, but Phillip Lolley is the Defensive Coordinator for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Weren't they in the CFL Championship or something a year or two ago?  Or at least Coach Lolley was as DC for someone.

It still makes me sad how severely Briles is being crucified over an institutional problem that went way over his head. I hope one day the truth is all revealed and he can get some of his life back.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, we need Briles as HC in football ad Pearl as HC in BB..

I have nothing else to say about this, because ............................................

Archived