***FINAL: Auburn 41 Georgia Southern 7 --- Post-Game Thread***

RunInRed

DIxGUf_XUAEOqjn.jpg

DIxGMc1VwAA3I16.jpg

Some quick thoughts:

• A stellar performance by the defense.  Our front-7 is just nasty.  No doubt Marlon and Derrick will be playing on Sundays.  Jeff Holland looked good, filling Carl's shoes - great energy.  Looks to be another top-10 unit under Coach Steele.
  • Some clean-up to do on offense but nothing un-fixable, IMO.  Looks like we still have some question on the OL/pass-protection.
  • Play-calling still seemed to have a Malzahn tinge ... All Chip Lindsey? ... who knows.
  • Where was Nate Craig-Myers?
  • Can't help but be happy for undersized but speedy Will Hastings, who had a huge game.
  • Daniel Carlson was 2-4 (50%) on FGs -- a disappointment for 'Mr. Automatic'
  • The extent of KJ's injury is unknown, appears to be lower hamstring related.
  • A sellout crowd ... you all looked beautiful. :big:

What say you?

DIxGVFbUEAA8v1W.jpg

UPDATE [CGM's Post-Game Presser]:

DIxJJvJVYAA95IV.jpg

• Gus Malzahn addresses the three suspended players: "That's completely between me and them."
  • Auburn HC Gus Malzahn said Kamryn Pettway and Kyle Davis will be back vs. Clemson. Sean White will be back Week 3.
  • Malzahn praises defensive coaches and players. "I think they've got a chance to be an outstanding defense."
  • Auburn HC Gus Malzahn on QB Jarrett Stidham: "I think he did a good job at times. I thought he managed the game well."
  • Gus on Will Hastings: "He is in the mix. Jarrett has a comfort level with him and he did a nice job."
  • Auburn HC Gus Malzahn on Will Hastings and Ryan Davis' success: "Chip's got a lot of new stuff, and crossing routes were a part of that."
  • Auburn HC Gus Malzahn on RB Kerryon Johnson (hamstring): "We'll see what his case is later."
  • Malzahn said Jeff Holland has "taken ownership" at buck and took his game to a different level tonight
  • "Marlon (Davidson) is mature beyond his years. He's a young guy that plays for an old guy."
  • Malzahn: Tre' Williams was "fierce,"

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree the pass pro could be better. Stidham did look rusty but very manageable. Not too worried about Carlson. Defense was unstoppable. Pretty good overall win hope we keep improving every week and get ready for next week war Eagle! 

Will Hastings is our best receiver. The defense is very good. Clemson d-line has to be salivating right now. The guys who were suspended need to get it together. It is not about them. Got the W. That is all that matters.

When your team wins 41-7 and you're still not happy.   THIS is SEC football.....

Definite concerns for next week, but glad to see a win and a stellar defense.  

Some good, a lot of bad (but fixable) issues. We have a lot of work to do to beat Clemson. 

Much Props to their QB Wert who started his first game at night at Jordan Hare...  he played tough and took some hits... was still trying to get his team yards till the last play.

Watched Lindsey's offenses from the past.  This was Gus, not Chip.  

Defense deserves a hell of a lot better offense.  Half decent offense and this would be a special season.  Surprised if the offense makes it close to half decent. And that rides on the job Herb Hand can do. 

Auburn pays Gus $4 + million a year for an offense of this caliber...sad.  Execution is flat out poor.

There is a lot of positive and a lot that can be fixed

stidham has the arm and accuracy just need someone other than Hastings to step up

i wouldnt look to much Into this game. Hopefully the team goes in the film, improves and gets ready for Clemson 

we havea good chance with our defense

Nothing much has changed. We play the defending National Champions next week, they have as much if not more talent, and we play at their place. It will be a challenge and we must execute at every position to win. 

I just don't see how anyone can make any judgments about Jarrett or the O in general after watching this.  Of course this was a different game plan than we'll see next week against Clemson. We hold nothing back after tonight. If the play calling is the same next week, then feel free to get your panties in a wad. 

Well...It wouldn't be AU football without some drama amirite? The defense did better than I expected on that option defense and it was great to see Marlon and the crew balling out there. When the camera showed Stidham, Sean, Bubba, and KD laughing and talking together I just got a sense of good feeling. We will get it together.

Vanilla .....indeed. Mistakes? Certainly. It was a very typical opening game vs cupcake. Coaches have plenty of "opportunities" to coach this week in practice. Lots of coachable film. It is about to get a bit tougher. Can't wait till next week. 1-0. WDE!!!

1) Defense is fast and aggressive again

2) OL is a serious question mark

3) This looked like a CGM offense with a few outliers

4) Stidham looked understandably rusty

5) WR concern...how were our WRs not able to get open against Georgia Southern?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I am wondering if they ran Gus' O tonight to limit the preparation for Clemson.  

Yeah. I think this was a strategy more than anything. Nevertheless, there is still stuff this offense really needs to work on.

This was definitely Gus's offense.  But it was very vanilla by design.  I'm hoping we see more of Lindsey's offense next week.  Defense looks good especially the D Line.  The WRs are still a mystery.  Good win, I'll take it. 

#WDE

is the thinking here that we are masking the offense by keeping it a Malzahn base offense before we play Clemson?  I think pass protection was fine. stidham had little open receivers to throw to from what I saw. He seemed a little slow making check downs as well. Look forward to getting Pettway back

Archived