***FINAL: Auburn 41 Georgia Southern 7 --- Post-Game Thread***

RunInRed

On 9/3/2017 at 6:57 PM, GwillMac6 said:

The most thing I am impressed with and most suprised at was Stidhams SPEED!!!!!!!! Was that Matt Jones of Arky fame or was that Jarrett Stidham out there!!??? That dude is f@#$%n fast!!! It may just be straight line speed but man I was wowed at it!

I was also impressed. not only his speed but his escapability. There were two or three occasions where he moved around in the pocket to avoid the rush and completed a pass 

As the OL and hopefully Stidham jell together Stidham will become the hired gun we expect him to be.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, bigbird said:

Nope

"Nope" to which statement? Just curious. I've heard this rumor 4 times today at work already. Hope it's just bs. Thanks.

1 minute ago, api1957 said:

"Nope" to which statement? Just curious. I've heard this rumor 4 times today at work already. Hope it's just bs. Thanks.

Pettway will be back Saturday and is not remotely close to being a problem for the coaches or team and will not be dismissed in a few weeks ala Duke and Jovon.

Well after WDE's prediction of the Clemson game I'm officially worried. Seems to know something we don't.

TBH this does look like it will be the low point of the year. Offense looks like it has the tools to click, but it's going to take a few weeks for that to happen. Mercer and Mizzou are going to be just what the doctor ordered as we head into the meat of our schedule.

One thing i wouldve liked to see is some out routes- we saw a few in the A-day game and i think those wouldve helped JS get in a groove. The check downs were good (R Davis & Hastings) and i liked the bootlegs to Cannela (Sp?). But wouldve been noce to see some easy passes early in the first Q

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Well after WDE's prediction of the Clemson game I'm officially worried. Seems to know something we don't.

TBH this does look like it will be the low point of the year. Offense looks like it has the tools to click, but it's going to take a few weeks for that to happen. Mercer and Mizzou are going to be just what the doctor ordered as we head into the meat of our schedule.

You're always worried though. 

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

What? He is just frustrated by the vanilla play calling . I doubt he has any secret knowledge of our game planning  .

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

What? He is just frustrated by the vanilla play calling . I doubt he has any secret knowledge of our game planning  

I imagine you are correct. That, and he might be a little grumpy. 

7 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I imagine you are correct. That, and he might be a little grumpy. 

I think you are correct and he is definitely in his right to be frustrated . Do I agree with the conservativeness? Not necessarily. I believe you should take every game one week at a time and you should call/play every game like it is the super bowl . But that is just my preference . We got the W and that's ultimately the biggest piece . Now we just have to keep progressing and hope for the best come Saturday :

Yep. I would rather have seen us work most of the playbook, than a very small portion of it.  I would also rather have seen Willis get some live action reps instead of Adams.  That and at least a deep target to NCM, something towards McClain and a little more Malik Miller.  

I'd rather not have the first time we run the majority of the playbook be against one of the best D's we'll face all year.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Now we just have to keep progressing and hope for the best come Saturday :

In the famous words of  hmmm...well somebody:  "Hope is not a plan."

5 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Yep. I would rather have seen us work most of the playbook, than a very small portion of it.  I would also rather have seen Willis get some live action reps instead of Adams.  That and at least a deep target to NCM, something towards McClain and a little more Malik Miller.  

I'd rather not have the first time we run the majority of the playbook be against one of the best D's we'll face all year.

Many plays are for special for occasions....and always nice that the opposition has not seen them.....JMO...a game is not when you practice that kind of thing....like golf..you practice new things on the driving range or chipping green...not on the course.

9 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I can understand Willis not getting reps.  If we make it through this week with Jarrett still healthy, we get Sean back and then you've effectively burned Malik's red shirt for nothing.  Totally makes sense that the coaches would roll the dice here.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Many plays are for special for occasions....and always nice that the opposition has not seen them.....JMO...a game is not when you practice that kind of thing....like golf..you practice new things on the driving range or chipping green...not on the course.

No , you wouldn't want to practice your super duper secret plays . However, you should be implementing your playbook IMO.  Having it available in practice is one thing . However, I feel like executing it in a live situation is essential. For one, you aren't facing your scout team. Players tend to particularly pick up instances against the scout team which may skew results, likewise coaches are also fully in control. Also, you never can anticipate crowd noise or how other players will react in certain situations. So now the expectation will be for our players to execute the full compliment of plays , probably for the first time against a very good Clemson squad. I prefer for that expectation to be had and follow though on a weekly basis.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

No , you wouldn't want to practice your super duper secret plays . However, you should be implementing your playbook IMO.  Having it available in practice is one thing . However, I feel like executing it in a live situation is essential. For one, you aren't facing your scout team. Players tend to particularly pick up instances against the scout team which may skew results, likewise coaches are also fully in control. Also, you never can anticipate crowd noise or how other players will react in certain situations. So now the expectation will be for our players to execute the full compliment of plays , probably for the first time against a very good Clemson squad. I prefer for that expectation to be had and follow though on a weekly basis.

I was not just thinking super -secret....more along the line of sets, how players are aligned and what plays are run from them.  Some of the plays might be the same as far as basic blocking and holes are concerned...but with different alignments ....at least that was the old Gus.....ran the same basic plays from very different looks.    I'm doubting that Clemson will see many of the sets or looks on Saturday that were run against Ga Southern....or if the set look the same, the play being run will be different.  

Guess I'm not sure what a full complement of plays is or how many are really needed to make an offense dynamic looking and successful. Seems I recalled some years back that there were a small number of different line blocking schemes no matter what the play looked like when the team came to the line of scrimmage.

Also seems that it would be good to run a play that has a high level of success from several different "looks" ....which I guess are signaled from the sideline.  I did not notice....or TV did not show...how much of the play calling was coming from the playing cards.  I'm still thinking that what we saw on Saturday means very little in terms of what will happen this week. ...hoping so at least.   Those pulling guard plays for example are an AU staple and I bet there are several ways to get the play started.

Should be interesting...

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

You're always worried though. 

Indeed I am. Not suprisingly I have a bad feeling about this week, although I think we win the next four games. I don't really know what to think of LSU and Arky yet. Should beat A&M and def ULM. Georgia looks about where we are right now.

31 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Indeed I am. Not suprisingly I have a bad feeling about this week, although I think we win the next four games. I don't really know what to think of LSU and Arky yet. Should beat A&M and def ULM. Georgia looks about where we are right now.

If you think we should beat A&M then we should beat Arkansas because they are not overly impressive 

On 9/3/2017 at 0:02 AM, lionheartkc said:

They plan to red shirt Malik. They aren't going to burn his red shirt week 1, in case Stidham goes down week 2. Sean's suspension is a Gus thing, and it can go away if he needs it to, but he plans on playing 1 QB next week, and it's not Sean.

Well, now according to 247 Gus says Malik needs to be reasy to go for Clemson game in case Stidham gets injured. 

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Well, now according to 247 Gus says Malik needs to be reasy to go for Clemson game in case Stidham gets injured. 

Not surprising... Glad Gus is putting his rules before winning (not to say we couldn't win with Malik). He still wasn't going to burn his red shirt to get him snaps, week 1, in case Stidham went down in week 2, because if Stidham doesn't, it was burned for nothing with Sean back in week 3

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Not surprising... Glad Gus is putting his rules before winning (not to say we couldn't win with Malik). He still wasn't going to burn his red shirt to get him snaps, week 1, in case Stidham went down in week 2, because if Stidham doesn't, it was burned for nothing with Sean back in week 3

Oh, I'm sure Malik could sustain an "injury", if it came down to it, and qualify for a medical redshirt.

20 hours ago, DAG said:

What? He is just frustrated by the vanilla play calling . I doubt he has any secret knowledge of our game planning  .

I'd love to hear everyone thoughts on this from Gus. 

“Really, some of it had to do with the way they were playing. Some of it had to do with the way the game unfolded,” said Malzahn of the GSU game. “When we had the turnovers early and we knew it was going to be a matter of time before, you know, we could wear them down and run the football."

@WarDamnEagleWDE i think it indicates that gus was scared to show too much. He didnt want to reveal pass plays and it was obvious enough that the OL had some things they needed to work on (pass pro, communication). So why keep running pass plays that may/maynot be successful when you can run the ball, get the win, and get back to practice. 

Now, i dont really agree with that philosphy and dont understand why our OL can't pass pro better already. We shouldve used this game to show ab 10 diff pass plays and 10 diff run plays. You can always adjust route trees, block scheme week to week to get a new look. 

My 2cents

42 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'd love to hear everyone thoughts on this from Gus. 

“Really, some of it had to do with the way they were playing. Some of it had to do with the way the game unfolded,” said Malzahn of the GSU game. “When we had the turnovers early and we knew it was going to be a matter of time before, you know, we could wear them down and run the football."

This doesn't bother me too much.  We still ran for 350 yards in the game.  The quote from Gus that made me LOL was this one:

"Chip's got a lot of new stuff, and crossing routes were a part of that."

You needed someone to teach a crossing route concept?  Damn Gus.

Archived