***FINAL: Auburn 41 Georgia Southern 7 --- Post-Game Thread***

RunInRed

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I wouldn't be placing bets on it, but I wouldn't be going into the season saying there was no chance. 

Again, there is a vast space between those two extremes. Would you feel pretty good? Maybe not put money on it good, but pretty good? I would (will?) not.

My point in bring up Jeremy is that NEED from fans for the coaches to see a player in live action in order for them to be comfortable in knowing what that player is capable of, and for that player to be ready to lead the team, came from the fact that the coaches didn't know Jeremy's weakness until he was starting under the lights. 

I'm pretty sure that fans have felt shaky about starting guys with absolutely no game experience for decades. It's only been in recent years that freshmen started at quarterback *anywhere*. I don't think it's only been in recent years that the freshman was the best option. 

This is so the truth. I didn't watch Clemson play last week, but everything I've read about it makes it seem like he would have been better off playing a scrimmage against his own guys as far as honing his skills. At least Georgia Southern tried. It will be interesting to see how he handles a relentless defense that appears to be very good at containing.

The point is that he's already had plenty of practice in each of his two previous seasons. He's already got plenty of live game experience. Dabo wasn't saving Kelly's redshirt for a rainy day. He was preparing him to take over. I expect that Gus will do the same over the course of this season with Willis. If Gatewood or Fields earns the job over him, then great, we have an experienced backup. 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The point is that he's already had plenty of practice in each of his two previous seasons. He's already got plenty of live game experience. Dabo wasn't saving Kelly's redshirt for a rainy day. He was preparing him to take over. I expect that Gus will do the same over the course of this season with Willis. If Gatewood or Fields earns the job over him, then great, we have an experienced backup. 

Of course, we thought the same about Jeremy. There's a huge gap between pitching clean-up against the teams who have already been dispatched and running the show against a defense who has bad intentions and your head in their cross-hairs. Heck, thanks to a stupid move by Marshall, I would say Johnson had far more significant experience than most back-ups who take over and he still fell apart when the time came to face a real foe. I would argue that Bryant is about to see something he's never seen before.

41 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I've heard that Gus told Chip to focus on the ground game. I know he wasn't calling the plays. I don't know about you but my boss tells me the direction to move in all of the time. He's not micromanaging me, he's running the department that he's in charge of. 

My job has certain SOPs that I am governed by, if I don't abide by those SOPs I'm subject to discipline.  I am left alone as to how I perform my job and nobody hovers over me.  If you want to develop leaders, you don't micromanage.  If you want a life you train your people how to do the job right.  There is a difference between tell you what direction to move in and micromanaging.  Micromanaging is how you develop "yes" men. 

49 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

What that does to the team is on Sean, because he was supposed to be available as the #2 QB.

You truncated my response, the rest of the story:
Sean put himself before the team, Gus instituted the discipline and SW is paying the price.  We'll see if SW grows from this or not.
Don't know what else to say.

53 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus didn't have a decent stable of QBs. As mentioned before Queen was already gone, Franklin is apparently a wide receiver, Woody apparently doesn't qualify as decent, and Jeremy has whatever Jeremy's mental issue is. Gus had Sean last year. That's why he's finally realized that he needs to recruit more QBs so that he can make-up for the ones that don't pan out.

Again, your truncated my answer:
What he doesn't have is a stable of decent QBs and again, that's on Gus.  I agree, unless the Freshman is good enoug to start he should be redshirted.  Circumstances change and if needed you pull the redshirt.  JJ's redshirt was pulled his freshman year as circumstances dictated.  Gus created this circumstance.

58 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And if he burns his red shirt, and he would have been our best option at QB his RS Senior Year, due to whatever circumstance, everyone would be pissed that Gus burned his red shirt in case of a 1 game eventuality that didn't happen.

Now we're back to expecting the worst case scenario from Gus. There is no chance at all that Gus is not being truthful about Sean being our #2 QB. 

This why he gets paid the big bucks.  I have not known Gus to panic about winning now rather than later to keep his job.  He has full confidence in his decision making.  He will live with the results, I just don't agree with certain aspects of his decision making.  It dosen't mean I think he is clueless, but I think he has botched his QB position over the years.

I have not trusted any word out of Gus' mouth since mid 2015.  That's just me.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

My job has certain SOPs that I am governed by, if I don't abide by those SOPs I'm subject to discipline.  I am left alone as to how I perform my job and nobody hovers over me.  If you want to develop leaders, you don't micromanage.  If you want a life you train your people how to do the job right.  There is a difference between tell you what direction to move in and micromanaging.  Micromanaging is how you develop "yes" men. 

And, once again, I argue that a head coach telling his offensive coordinator a specific direction to go with the offense is far from micromanaging.  If he took the headset and started calling the plays, that would be micromanaging.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

That's just me.

I think you summed things up well.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course, we thought the same about Jeremy. There's a huge gap between pitching clean-up against the teams who have already been dispatched and running the show against a defense who has bad intentions and your head in their cross-hairs. Heck, thanks to a stupid move by Marshall, I would say Johnson had far more significant experience than most back-ups who take over and he still fell apart when the time came to face a real foe. I would argue that Bryant is about to see something he's never seen before.

I thought we agreed that Jeremy was a unique case?

And, no, Bryant probably hasn't seen the likes of our defense. We've got a very, very good defense. But he has seen a lot more than a practice field. Potential distractions will be minimized because of that.

I suppose I've always considered it a universally accepted truth that experience is a plus. Maybe it's not. A universally accepted truth, I mean. 

On 9/3/2017 at 0:37 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Despite 2 strikes, there is still joy in Mudville.

“Daniel Carlson knocked through two field goals and five extra points, becoming Auburn's all-time leader in career points with 364.”

[By my meager (finger-counting) math skills the number should be 365. Also, I believe, Mr. Carlson, Mighty Carlson, is still career-perfect on PATs.]

http://www.wsfa.com/story/36279429/auburn-steps-on-gas-early-cruises-past-ga-southern

al.com gets the math right, and puts Mr. Carlson's feat/foot into proper perspective:

“365 Points have been scored by Auburn PK Daniel Carlson, the most in Auburn history. Carlson became the Tigers' top career scorer by kicking two field goals and five extra points in a 41-7 victory over Georgia Southern on Saturday. Carlson broke the record held by PK Wes Byrum, who scored 363 from 2007 through 2010. Carlson ranks eighth in SEC history in career points, 47 behind the conference record of 412 points totaled by Georgia PK Blair Walsh from 2008 through 2011.”

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/09/sec_football_by_the_numbers_to_61.html

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I thought we agreed that Jeremy was a unique case?

And, no, Bryant probably hasn't seen the likes of our defense. We've got a very, very good defense. But he has seen a lot more than a practice field. Potential distractions will be minimized because of that.

I suppose I've always considered it a universally accepted truth that experience is a plus. Maybe it's not. A universally accepted truth, I mean. 

We did... just pointing out that the unique case probably had more significant experience than almost any other back-up turned starter, because his starter got suspended for 1/2 a game.

If you look at Bryant's stats, he's basically played against the bottom rung of the ACC and a bunch of major cupcakes. It's not that he never faced a D like ours... he's never faced a team that was even slightly competitive.

Experience is a plus, of course, but the question is, is it a requirement. The argument people are making is the latter.

Here's a question for you. You say you want a reliable back-up and to be reliable, they have to show that they can be successful consistently. So let me ask you this... were they not reliable before they proved they were, or were we just unaware of how reliable they are? Is this about having players ready to play, or is it about fans wanting a sense of comfort about how good they are?

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think you summed things up well.

Since when did you start quoting things out of context?  You had been a balanced poster.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Here's a question for you. You say you want a reliable back-up and to be reliable, they have to show that they can be successful consistently. So let me ask you this... were they not reliable before they proved they were, or were we just unaware of how reliable they are? Is this about having players ready to play, or is it about fans wanting a sense of comfort about how good they are?

No, you can't be reliable without being reliable. 

I want our players to gain experience so they are ready to play. 

Maybe do a search for StatTiger's 20-10 rule. I promise, I'm not making things up here. We are better when our players have experience. 

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Since when did you start quoting things out of context?  You had been a balanced poster.

I apologize if I'm coming off that way. I admit I'm not sleeping well so maybe I'm not quite myself.

I don't feel like i'm taking anything you say out of context.  

The first time you said I was, I was just clarifying what I had said previously.  

The second time I was only speaking to the fact that you said he had a good stable of QBs last year, which I disagreed with. The rest of what you said in your response was irrelevant to that argument, because you were speaking of this year.

I'll admit, taking "that's just me" out of context was me being cranky and I apologize. However, stating that you haven't trusted anything our coach has said since 2015 speaks to some serious bias in how you view our football program.

Loath to wade into the ongoing QB discussion,

and not only because I'm old, forgetful, and color-blind, but

did Mr. Willis get a special jersey in camp this year? and

is that germaine?

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

No, you can't be reliable without being reliable. 

This is where we completely disagree. It's the old "if a tree falls in the woods" scenario. A player can be phenomenal without us having a clue about his capabilities. Also, the coaches can know how good someone is without us seeing it.

I go back to the idea that what it sounds like people really want is assurance of how good we are without the need to trust the staff. I understand, considering most feel let down, but it seems that this year, more than most, people are looking hard for the negatives.

7 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Loath to wade into the ongoing QB discussion,

and not only because I'm old, forgetful, and color-blind, but

did Mr. Willis get a special jersey in camp this year? and

is that germaine?

I believe, if I recall correctly, he went live once.

23 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I apologize if I'm coming off that way. I admit I'm not sleeping well so maybe I'm not quite myself.

I don't feel like i'm taking anything you say out of context.  

The first time you said I was, I was just clarifying what I had said previously.  

The second time I was only speaking to the fact that you said he had a good stable of QBs last year, which I disagreed with. The rest of what you said in your response was irrelevant to that argument, because you were speaking of this year.

I'll admit, taking "that's just me" out of context was me being cranky and I apologize. However, stating that you haven't trusted anything our coach has said since 2015 speaks to some serious bias in how you view our football program.

To the "stable of QBs" the rest of the statement was about 2016, not this year.  I may not have been clear.

Regarding the coach speak, I used to hang on every word our Coaches would say, I still like to listen to Coach Steele and the defensive coaches.  However, to manage my expectations , especially on the offensive side, I don't take anything Gus has to say to heart.  As a fan, you don't know what to expect until they line up and that has nothing to do with the way I view the football program.  

I really hate to say it, but Dabo owns Gus and the Auburn football program.

Archived