***FINAL: Auburn 41 Georgia Southern 7 --- Post-Game Thread***

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I disagree with the assessment that this was Gus's offense. The running game, yes. The passing game definitely had a new look to it.

The predictable play calling was pure Gus.

wde

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for @corchjay and @bigbird It looked like Stidham had a very shallow drop back on his passes, leaving him extremely  close to the line of scrimmage. Is that part of Lindsey's scheme?  The whole dropback/step into the pocket process looked out of sync. 

8 minutes ago, War Knight said:

I think tonight gave me the realization that we are what I thought we were but not what I had hoped.

Had to....

Just now, DAG said:

Does anybody have any update from Gus on the suspensions? We need KP back for sure.

There is a separate thread with all the info you need. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Question for @corchjay and @bigbird It looked like Stidham had a very shallow drop back on his passes, leaving him extremely  close to the line of scrimmage. Is that part of Lindsey's scheme?  The whole dropback/step into the pocket process looked out of sync. 

Some were shallow by design.  Some he dropped 3 steps which out of the gun is equal to a 7 step drop.  He would step up but just wouldn't turn it loose.  However I could not see down field to see if anyone was open

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I am wondering if they ran Gus' O tonight to limit the preparation for Clemson.  

That makes no sense. 

4 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

The predictable play calling was pure Gus.

wde

Mmm the only time the play calling seemed predictable was when we'd get a first down then go into the HUNH and run it right up the middle.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is a stretch but he did show happy feet at times and looked cautious in making throws.

Hard to say your QB needed to be more aggressive when he was running for his life 90 % of the game. Anywho, good luck.

There were a couple of times he should have attacked his key and pitched early. There were several opportunities there for 3-5 yards on an early pitch instead of taking a 2-3 loss, but he was dragging the play out allowing the rest of your defenders to get off their blocks. The team stats alone tell the story that he kept the ball a few too many times. I'm not saying this would have made a difference in the overall outcome but in future games it will when we face slower defenses.

Good luck against Clemson!

The biggest thing I learned was that our defense is darn good,  Davidson, Brown, Holland, and our LBs are simply killers!

Kam Pettway is our best player on offense period and Will Hastings is our most consistent receiver.

JS may be an elite QB by the end of the year, but definitely is not an elite right now. Lots of indecision on his part at this current point in time. You can bet Clemson saw how to rattle him tonight and will. Pettway will need a monster game next week.

20 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Gus says after the game that Pettway and Davis will be next week. Sean out til week 3.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Does anybody have any update from Gus on the suspensions? We need KP back for sure.

OL needs work on pass protection.  GA Southern got too much of a push, especially up the middle, in the first half.

Stidham looked unsure of himself in the first 30 minutes.  Several instances of happy feet.  The TD drive with the Hastings catch was by far his best passing.  Allowed himself to settle his feet down before throwing.

Defense was fantastic.  D-Line is deep and scary.

Play calling was vanilla, but I was happy with the use of the short-medium passing game.  We used a few clear-out plays today that we haven't really been using before, allowing receivers to come open underneath.  Would expect more complexity next week.

Everyone is complaining about this looking some what like a Gus O. Im glad....he runs the ball. Chip seems to not want to run the ball. I think it is a good combination. I saw a good mix of run and pass. Some big drops by our receivers that would have changed the perspective of the pass game IMHO. 

Just now, caleb1633 said:

Mmm the only time the play calling seemed predictable was when we'd get a first down then go into the HUNH and run it right up the middle.

Play calls looked similar to last season to me beyond the glaring BS that you just pointed out. Just another example of who is still running the O.  Not our new OC.

wde

13 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I disagree with the assessment that this was Gus's offense. The running game, yes. The passing game definitely had a new look to it.

Why? Because we actually threw it?

3 minutes ago, Shift said:

That makes no sense. 

Sure it does. It makes perfect sense. Show them a Gus offense. They think it's still still Gus, so they prepare for his offense. Then they see something totally different during the game

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Sure it does. It makes perfect sense. Show them a Gus offense. They think it's still still Gus, so they prepare for his offense. Then they see something totally different during the game

Don't waste keystrokes talking to guys like that.  He's just here to be the turd in the punch bowl.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, at least Lindsey introduced Gus to crossing routes.  

It's like Gus never played Madden and went through the training camp/tutorials

I am not sure any o-line can protect a QB if recovers can not get open. Stidham seemed to go through a lot of his progressions at times, before he found an open receiver. A lot of the pressure on QB was because of coverage. Also, I always thought one of the hits on Gus's O was that the QB's had basically very few progressions and the revivers had a very limited route tree. I thought this  part looked better tonight. If revivers get open better they may be hard to stop. Hastings seems to be the best receiver at creating the separation he needs. Defense was awesome! 

Just now, RunInRed said:

This. I've missed having a dominant Auburn defense ever since I was a preteen in 2004. We've had glimpses but it's been so long. Clemson's young QB will struggle against our D. We just have to hope Stidham struggles less.

Archived