***FINAL: Auburn 41 Georgia Southern 7 --- Post-Game Thread***

RunInRed

16 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Wait what? Sean is not available next week against the defending natl champions, and we don't get Malik any touches in a blow out win tonight? Genious. 

They plan to red shirt Malik. They aren't going to burn his red shirt week 1, in case Stidham goes down week 2. Sean's suspension is a Gus thing, and it can go away if he needs it to, but he plans on playing 1 QB next week, and it's not Sean.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Watched Lindsey's offenses from the past.  This was Gus, not Chip.  

Defense deserves a hell of a lot better offense.  Half decent offense and this would be a special season.  Surprised if the offense makes it close to half decent. And that rides on the job Herb Hand can do. 

Auburn pays Gus $4 + million a year for an offense of this caliber...sad.  Execution is flat out poor.

I am not with you on this. Yes we need to play better. Good grief, we had over 500 yards of offense tonight of which is nothing to sneeze at.  I think what we saw tonight is exactly what Gus wants Clemson and the rest of the SEC to see. After the Clemson game, I think we will see the difference with CCL running the offense. I do not expect to see a whole new offense scheme whatsoever. We will see enough change that will make our run offense better than last season and a passing game that will make teams work harder to defend.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I am wondering if they ran Gus' O tonight to limit the preparation for Clemson.  

I'm hoping and praying that is the case. otherwise... well.... just otherwise.

Let me take a crack at getting my armchair QB on. Our Big Wrs seemed to have trouble getting open and creating any separation. I noticed that last year as well. Hastings and R. Davis our quick and small guys seemed to do the best at coming open. IDK why Stove did not catch more passes because I think he has the potential to be our best underneath WR. It hurts the recruitnik in me to the core to see NCM be a ghost on offense. I do not think he even saw a target.

Defense is stellar. 

Stidham held the ball too long. That defense was not good and he had time. The dropped passes early didn't help. Let's be real here - he is rusty and his timing is a little off. 

And oh the play calling.... The offense looked like the same offense as the past 4 years. I thought the comments by the announcers about this were interesting. 

I hope all of you are correct that we were running the GUS o to confuse Clemson... but that makes no sense to me... we have a qb that has not played in years and we would want everyone to be on the same page with timing and routes when we get to Clemson. I don't know if that is true or just wishful thinking by fans who, like me, expected something way different in the play calling tonight. 

I will say that no matter what offense we run next week it should look better with our #1 running back and starting wr back. Other quick notes: 

Slayton had a terrible game. 

KJ - I feel sorry for the young man. he has talent but stays hurt. 

In the end  the defense was awesome, the offense was adequate, and we won.  The old saying is that improvements come between game one and game two. We will see. 

10 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Kam Martin looked good tonight but we need Kerryon back to help Pettway.  Martin's 185 lbs won't hold up against Clemson and the SEC. 

The problem with Martin is that he fumbles and he did it again tonight.  I hold my breath every time he carries the ball. 

Hey everyone ....War Eagle to all !!

I thought the defense looked mean. I love it. It looked like a Wayne Hall type defense.

The first play of the game if anyone noticed was the first play of last's years Arkansas game. As soon as Stidham went under center and Stove was in motion I knew what was coming. I hope they can disguise their plays a little better. lol

NCM doesn't get any touches? I found that confusing

Kam Martin and Mallik Miller looked pretty good going in for Kerryon.

I predicted an inconsistent  Carlson not only for this game but probably the year. Something in my gut has been telling me that....I hope it goes away.

I really wanted to see Mallik at QB instead of Adams, but I guess they want a red shirt on him. ....But I say play'em while you can. You never know how long they will stay anyway.

I hope we will use Sal more even though he dropped his second pass.

Stidham isn't perfect as of yet, but I still like his pass placement better than White. He has a good touch ,he just holds the ball like and early version of Jason Campbell.

33 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Why? Because we actually threw it?

Sure it does. It makes perfect sense. Show them a Gus offense. They think it's still still Gus, so they prepare for his offense. Then they see something totally different during the game

If that's the case, Why didn't Auburn show them the Gene Chizik defense? Why show Clemson the vanilla offense but flash that stout Tiger defense? I agree about the vanilla offense though. Predictable playcalling was predictably predictable. I even think it was a nice touch to add a couple of staged fumbles and the offensive line  could have won the Oscar for faking a poor pass protection. Clemson isn't going to know what hit them next week if what you say is true.

If revisionist history means anything, my greatest fear going into next week is that the offense wasn't Vanilla and that we'll see much more of the same sans a couple of trick plays that fail spectacularly and that this game will be won or lost with the kicking game, assuming the defense is the real deal and that Georgia Southern is a better offensive team from what they showed tonight. 

It might not be a must win next week, but Auburn could definitely use a huge confidence boost especially after the way they lost last year at home to these same Tigers.

Cole cubelic was specifically asked at one point in the game if this was Gus' or Lindsay's offense, and he said Lindsay. He said the slant routes, zone blocking schemes, shots taken down the field and specifically - at that point in the game - the pass to run ratio was exactly 50% to 50% were all indicative of significant changes and that Lindsay was calling the shots. 

When Gus was asked in the post game presser about running vanilla offense tonight, he stammered a bit and then said something about scoring 41 points. I think it's clear from his response and what we saw that they definitely rolled out vanilla offense tonight. 

I was encouraged by Cubelic's comments and will bank on what he said vs all of these offensive gurus on the forum. ;) 

Defense was in mid-season form and looked very solid. The DL is very strong and that included every one in the rotation. Coe, Brown, Davidson and Holland are something. Even Cowart got some good licks in there. The LBs, especially the two Williams, played one of the better LB games we have seen in some time. Great angles and closing speed on their tackles. You can see the TWill influence with the LBs. What a difference. The secondary had good coverage and they were solid when they came up to make a tackle. An outstanding performance by the defense.

The offense overall looked like an early season offense tonight. The timing was off and the OL, WRs looked tentative early on. Stidham was rusty in the 1st qtr. as would be expected but you saw him getting more and more comfortable as the game went on. We have a lot of work to do before next week on timing, WR separation, WR drops (again), fumbles when carrying the ball away from the body and OL cohesion.

However, the OL made some great plays tonight and you could see the improvement as a unit during the game. I paid close attention to Tega and he did a decent job out there on his first start. He is very strong, has good feet and when he engages a block the defender is locked up. He blocked his man on that sack btw. Golson was getting to the 2nd level on his blocks consistently, a nice job by him. Then there was Smith. He absolutely destroyed a few guys when he pulled on some of the running plays. This OL has a LOT of potential. The offense, especially the OL, will have a different attitude when Pettway is in there pounding the ball.

Maybe we saw different games:

This was not the same old offense.  Not saying this is the new Chip L O, but this WAS NOT the Gus O.  Some of the run plays were, but that's it.    You will see it next week.

Crossing routes were sweet,  targeting Sal was great.  Sorry he had that one drop.  He will be a force.  What the hell is a catch these days?   I have no clue; do you have to run 4 yds after a catch to be called a catch?

Slayton....what the heck, shades of Tony Stevens.

Legatron will be fine.

The D will be nasty and keep us in games.

Stidham got real serious after that blind side hit/fumble.   

The pick: great athleticism by that safety.  Half the safeties we face won't make that pick.  Stidham felt pressure after two turnovers.  His game changed after the fumble.

I was worried about KJ and fragility in the summer!  Dang I wish I was wrong.

RB depth: people say we have an emabarrassment of riches - nope.  I am worried.  K Martin won't hold up, KJ didn't hold up, third year in a row he is injured.  I pray Bubba can hold up.  D Barrett is too light I imagine.  Damien Pierce?  

We will go toe to toe with Clemson and that's all we can ask for.

22 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Kam Martin looked good tonight but we need Kerryon back to help Pettway.  Martin's 185 lbs won't hold up against Clemson and the SEC. 

We "desperately" needed Pett tonight, in terms of breaking down their d line. KJ looked like he was running in molasses trying to pound the ball, K Mart just the same. 

If we were playing Clemson with that setup, we'd be screwed. 

10 minutes ago, jmcrosson said:

Cole cubelic was specifically asked at one point in the game if this was Gus' or Lindsay's offense, and he said Lindsay. He said the slant routes, zone blocking schemes, shots taken down the field and specifically - at that point in the game - the pass to run ratio was exactly 50% to 50% were all indicative of significant changes and that Lindsay was calling the shots. 

When Gus was asked in the post game presser about running vanilla offense tonight, he stammered a bit and then said something about scoring 41 points. I think it's clear from his response and what we saw that they definitely rolled out vanilla offense tonight. 

I was encouraged by Cubelic's comments and will bank on what he said vs all of these offensive gurus on the forum. ;) 

He said 50-50 because he's math challenged. It was 2 to 1 run plays-- 34-17 at that point.

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

RB depth: people say we have an emabarrassment of riches - nope.  I am worried.  K Martin won't hold up, KJ didn't hold up, third year in a row he is injured.  I pray Bubba can hold up.  D Barrett is too light I imagine.  Damien Pierce?

If a more effective passing game (and balance) emerges, and I think it will, Pettway may not have to carry as much of a load as he did last year.  That said, I also think he will be a large part of making that happen.

4 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Maybe we saw different games:

This was not the same old offense.  Not saying this is the new Chip L O, but this WAS NOT the Gus O.  Some of the run plays were, but that's it.    You will see it next week.

Crossing routes were sweet,  targeting Sal was great.  Sorry he had that one drop.  He will be a force.  What the hell is a catch these days?   I have no clue; do you have to run 4 yds after a catch to be called a catch?

Slayton....what the heck, shades of Tony Stevens.

Legatron will be fine.

The D will be nasty and keep us in games.

Stidham got real serious after that blind side hit/fumble.   

The pick: great athleticism by that safety.  Half the safeties we face won't make that pick.  Stidham felt pressure after two turnovers.  His game changed after the fumble.

I was worried about KJ and fragility in the summer!  Dang I wish I was wrong.

We will go toe to toe with Clemson and that's all we can ask for.

I agree with you mostly. This definitely looked like a stagnant Gus offense early on and into the 2nd quarter. 

However, I feel like it started to break away as the offense tried to find a rhythm. The turnovers and lack of effort from the receivers and no Pett really hurt us imo. 

Then we have a QB who hasn't taken a meaningful snap in well over a year, it's going to take a little time. 

Waiting on @StatTiger to give us some game 1 comparisons between Cam, Marshall, and Stidham...because we know it's going to happen. B)

There is improvement on offense over last year, but there is a whole lot that needs work. If we weren't playing Clemson in less than a week, then we would all be saying there is plenty of time to work out the kinks before the conference games begin. The OL run blocked well, but the pass protection was not very good, particularly the left side of the line. Herb needs to get that fixed pronto. The fumble was not Stidham's fault. The left side left him unprotected. If it happens against Clemson, their DL will hurt Stidham. If that happens, not getting Malik some reps tonight is going to seem unforgivably stupid. Obviously, the coaches don't want to burn his redshirt, but we ARE playing the national champion on their home field next week, and we don't have a back-up ready to go against one of the top defenses in the country?

The O was sloppy at times and I don't think you can give the typical excuse of playing a weak sister because GA Southern was playing hard. I'll buy Stidham was rusty and a bit nervous. And, yes, with Pettway on the field, the defense would have backed off more. I like the new routes and Sal looks like a weapon who is in danger of being woefully underutilized, but overall the WRs did not dominate like they should have against a Sunbelt secondary. I don't buy we went vanilla to confuse Clemson. I don't think we are that smart. What we saw tonight IS the new offense. Passing game requires improvement all around to be effective against good teams-- OL, QB, TE, & WRs. A few new bells and whistles, but how much it still looks the same is what is so alarming. Yes, we were probably trying to run the clock and didn't need to sling it, but there's nothing on tonight's film that is going to keep Clemson defenders from getting a good night's sleep.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Let me take a crack at getting my armchair QB on. Our Big Wrs seemed to have trouble getting open and creating any separation. I noticed that last year as well. Hastings and R. Davis our quick and small guys seemed to do the best at coming open. IDK why Stove did not catch more passes because I think he has the potential to be our best underneath WR. It hurts the recruitnik in me to the core to see NCM be a ghost on offense. I do not think he even saw a target.

I have to disagree multiple times why receivers were open downfield He was just scared to pull the trigger a couple of times. 

I also saw him look downfield and I believe he was going downfield at least two times but the o line collapsed in the middle.

Observations:

Truly underwhelmed by the offense...It didn't seem like a Chip Lindsey offense. The second half was all Gus. 

Was really hoping we would air it out..Receivers didn't help that game plan if that was even thought about. Gus seemed to take over the O in the second half.

Defense padded some stats tonight...but it was GA Southern

Clemson is going to be a heck of a challenge...I am confident in our defense, but I don't see our O moving the ball against them. Next week will be frustrating to say the least. You heard it hear first. Please prove me wrong. 

What the heck happened to Kerryon, and why was Pettway not playing>>?? so many question marks.

Offensive line seemed shaky, they'll get eat up next week. We have a long way to go. 

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I have to disagree multiple times why receivers were open downfield He was just scared to pull the trigger a couple of times. 

I also saw him look downfield and I believe he was going downfield at least two times but the o line collapsed in the middle.

That def makes me feel a little better. That too me just means Stidham is still adjusting to not playing in a game for almost 2 years. Why was NCM not targeted?! That blows my mind. Did he ever get open? Could not tell from home. All I saw was they were just using him as a blocker because he is one of our biggest WRs.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

They plan to red shirt Malik. They aren't going to burn his red shirt week 1, in case Stidham goes down week 2. Sean's suspension is a Gus thing, and it can go away if he needs it to, but he plans on playing 1 QB next week, and it's not Sean.

So you're saying if Jarrett goes down, Sean's suspension goes away? What the Hades kind of suspension is that? I swear if Gus was not a football coach he should look into being a politician, or espionage. Jeez!

1 hour ago, murpjf88 said:

If that's the case, Why didn't Auburn show them the Gene Chizik defense?

We didn't show anything special from a scheme standpoint on defense.  Defending a triple option team is mostly assignment football.  The schemes we had to run tonight, which were essentially cutting our front 7 loose, vs a more complex offense next week are night and day.

Archived