***FINAL: Auburn 41 Georgia Southern 7 --- Post-Game Thread***

RunInRed

Now I agree anything about being vanilla. Hell I actually think it would've been a good idea to run Gus offense this particular game and have Clemson guessing. But once again I gave examples of teams in the top ten who are known to run the ball heavy and said look at their carries....if you can't see that it's stupid to load kj the way we did you're a Gus Stan. No if's and's or but 's

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Now I agree anything about being vanilla. Hell I actually think it would've been a good idea to run Gus offense this particular game and have Clemson guessing. But once again I gave examples of teams in the top ten who are known to run the ball heavy and said look at their carries....if you can't see that it's stupid to load kj the way we did you're a Gus Stan. No if's and's or but 's

I agree we ran KJ too much. We needed to find a 3rd rb and ended up losing our #2 in the process. DB looked good and continued his impressive performance he has been showing in fall camp. Malik Miller needs to be our #3 back IMO. He is a big back that can run between tackles. Kam Martin looked good last night but the holes that were being opened up anyone could have run through. 

I love the way Martin hits the line of scrimmage he may be small but the threat that we get a great block or the defense missing an assignment is at the minimum around 20 yards. Like you said DB looked good. Don't brag on it if you're scared to use it

9 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I agree we ran KJ too much. We needed to find a 3rd rb and ended up losing our #2 in the process. DB looked good and continued his impressive performance he has been showing in fall camp. Malik Miller needs to be our #3 back IMO. He is a big back that can run between tackles. Kam Martin looked good last night but the holes that were being opened up anyone could have run through. 

Georgia Southern's defense was gassed by the time Martin took reps.

1) D was better than I could have imagined even though it was Georgia Southern.

2) I thought Rhett Lashlee looked like he put on some weight over the summer, especially in the face.;D

3) A positive from KJ's injury is we shouldn't see the wildcat formation for awhile.

4) 4 fumbles and 3 turnovers will beat us against a good P5 team.

5) I wish I had a dollar for every time during Gus's employment that someone has mentioned opening up the playbook next week.

And if they do that wildcat stuff during SEC play....as strong as James and especially braden is why are we scared to just dominate a line? Wildcat and sugar huddles and that bs....if it's called sugar we shouldn't even be doing it anyway. 

People see what they want to see. 

Gus was not calling plays last night. Yes, he had a play sheet. But he wasn't using it. We have 4 years of seeing him physically calling plays - the frantic, screaming, gyrating, yelling into headsets while reading off the playsheet. 

We saw him on TV several times while the offense was on the field and he looked like a head coach with an offensive mind -not the OC. 

Ok, that said: what did people think a CCL offense was going to look like? How is it supposed to be different from last night? We saw some new routes, had almost no Gus window dressing, only a few fly sweeps...most of it was vanilla, but it doesn't look like much Gus interference to me at least. 

Was at the game...my observations:

1) We have to abandon Wildcat formation. If we want to keep the Wildcat formation, why on the earth won't we hand it off on jet sweeps? Everyone knew KJ was going to carry the rock. If he had given it on the sweeps, we'd have a huge hole. Just way too predictable.

2) I thought Stidham had a case of happy feet. It's like when he sees a hole he's going to run.

3) Although our defense was lights out, I wished that GSU would throw the ball more. They threw for only four times. It'd be nice to have our secondary getting reps before Clemson game.

4) I hope a lot of you are right in stating that we are saving the playbook for Clemson game. I do think this is the case--except to show that we can throw the ball this time around. 

I still like the direction of this team, and Pettway can't come back soon enough. He's going to be HUGE for Clemson.

WAR EAGLE

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

if it's called sugar we shouldn't even be doing it anyway. 

bahaha

I don't mind the wildcat though, so long as we don't use it as much as we did last night. 

7 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

People see what they want to see. 

Gus was not calling plays last night. Yes, he had a play sheet. But he wasn't using it. We have 4 years of seeing him physically calling plays - the frantic, screaming, gyrating, yelling into headsets while reading off the playsheet. 

We saw him on TV several times while the offense was on the field and he looked like a head coach with an offensive mind -not the OC. 

Ok, that said: what did people think a CCL offense was going to look like? How is it supposed to be different from last night? We saw some new routes, had almost no Gus window dressing, only a few fly sweeps...most of it was vanilla, but it doesn't look like much Gus interference to me at least. 

He wasn't calling plays but the majority was by his game plan.  

It is like the uat offense. Each OC Saban has had ads a wrinkle here and there but the offense is run with Saban's game plan.  

But, we can't judge the offense, play calling or even game plan based on this game.  Let's talk next Sunday. 

I believe Gus was spoiled in 2013 and 2014 with Tre Mason and CAP.  In those years Auburn could spell those running backs with the runs of NM, we just don't have that option at this time.  A good passing game can do the same thing, but we don't have that option either, at this time.  So, after suspending his #1 RB, he runs his #2 until he pulls a muscle.  I know you can't predict a pulled muscle, or any injury for that matter, but at least thing about the possibility.

Gus has trouble adjusting on the fly, he sticks with his game plan no matter what.  If you are unwilling to adjust your plan due to present circumstances, you are doomed to fail.  The last two UGA games proves that point.

This game had Gus written all over it.  A 3rd and 2 and we run the wildcat that the defense ate up and we have a 60 yard run from our goal line and hurry up and run a gassed RB up the middle on 1st and 10.  Sure CCL called the plays, but I just have the feeling that Gus had full confidence that CCL would call the game he call.  I'm hoping this was by design and next week we see some innovative play calling.

Beat Clemson.

5 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Was at the game...my observations:

1) We have to abandon Wildcat formation. If we want to keep the Wildcat formation, why on the earth won't we hand it off on jet sweeps? Everyone knew KJ was going to carry the rock. If he had given it on the sweeps, we'd have a huge hole. Just way too predictable.

2) I thought Stidham had a case of happy feet. It's like when he sees a hole he's going to run.

3) Although our defense was lights out, I wished that GSU would throw the ball more. They threw for only four times. It'd be nice to have our secondary getting reps before Clemson game.

4) I hope a lot of you are right in stating that we are saving the playbook for Clemson game. I do think this is the case--except to show that we can throw the ball this time around. 

I still like the direction of this team, and Pettway can't come back soon enough. He's going to be HUGE for Clemson.

WAR EAGLE

They tried quite a few more than four passes.  Our defense did not allow him to throw the ball.  I like it.  Let's see what our defense does next week.  Clemson will throw a lot more. 

Sat down and watched Arizona state games with Chip Lindsey at the helm..I am convinced that yesterday wasn't Chip's offense or Gus's but a mix of both. I am also convinced that the plan was to be much more conservative and come out with the W, as CCL is a lot more aggressive. I think this is really going to be a transition for JS. As was stated last night , Baylor's offense was much quicker , but a lot more simpler . JS will have to learn how to read the defense and make the appropriate read in CCL offense. Patience will be a virtue .

For people that had a better view at the game, were the downfield WR's getting open?

Ive gotten the vibe that they were but that JS just wasn't pulling the trigger. I think JS was so focused on not making mistakes that we probably left several big plays out there. You could tell he had happy feet and some jitters, but it's always good to get those out in week 1

3 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Anyone dissapointed over last night needs to wake up. Stidham had a TD dropped by Slayton early pm a perfect pass. He had 2 or 3 more drops by Sal Slayton and I believe Hastings had 1. We should have had well over 200 yards passing and 3tds.  RunnING game was dominant without the bestimate rb in the SEC. We were also missing probably our best WR. Defense was stellar I have never seen a defense this good at Auburn. They look like a bama defense under Saban. Great first game win where our defense had a shutout. It was the first game JS had played in 2 years and he was a little rusty but come on without the drops he has another TD and would have had much better numbers. Derrick Brown is a stud and Jeff Holland looks goI'd taking over at buck. It was only Georgia Southern but we still shut them out. The turnovers need to be fixed but it was the first game with a qb who hasn't played football in 2 years and this was his 5th game to ever play. 

To be fair, the Slayton "drop" early was could have easily been called PI.  The defender had a hold of his right arm so Slayton was trying to make a one-handed grab.  Beautiful throw though.

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

To be fair, the Slayton "drop" early was could have easily been called PI.  The defender had a hold of his right arm so Slayton was trying to make a one-handed grab.  Beautiful throw though.

Problem is we have to be able to overcome things like that. Ever defense we play this year, especially bama, does this each play and do it better.

28 minutes ago, around4ever said:

They tried quite a few more than four passes.  Our defense did not allow him to throw the ball.  I like it.  Let's see what our defense does next week.  Clemson will throw a lot more. 

Good point. You're right. I should have given our D more credit than I thought. 

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

For people that had a better view at the game, were the downfield WR's getting open?

Ive gotten the vibe that they were but that JS just wasn't pulling the trigger. I think JS was so focused on not making mistakes that we probably left several big plays out there. You could tell he had happy feet and some jitters, but it's always good to get those out in week 1

Seemed like the chemistry between our receivers and Stidham is still building. There were two or three passes that Stidham threw that had nobody there. I guess Stidham was holding on the ball little too long because he isn't completely certain if the receivers are running their routes. I would imagine if the chemistry is clicking, Stidham would let it rip and trust receivers to get to the spot where he throws the ball.

A KP led offense is a world's difference from a KJ led offense. Just by that alone, Clemson is going to see a much different team.

Aside from the INT, JS did not put the ball in harm's way. He was throwing dimes right on the sideline where only his guy could get it. Not sure why the line collapsed so much, blitz pickup was not great and pass protection was eh. At least JS could move out when he had to and avoided taking a negative play usually.

Sigh, wish the Clemson game could be in Jordan-Hare.

43 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Problem is we have to be able to overcome things like that. Ever defense we play this year, especially bama, does this each play and do it better.

This. I was at game but saw replay this morning it was prob pi but he didn't have his arm grabbed. Slayton will be a stud I am just pointing out why our passing numbers were not better. I am not trying to knock DS at all kid is a baller.

32 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

A KP led offense is a world's difference from a KJ led offense. Just by that alone, Clemson is going to see a much different team.

Aside from the INT, JS did not put the ball in harm's way. He was throwing dimes right on the sideline where only his guy could get it. Not sure why the line collapsed so much, blitz pickup was not great and pass protection was eh. At least JS could move out when he had to and avoided taking a negative play usually.

Sigh, wish the Clemson game could be in Jordan-Hare.

I actually don't see as far running the ball where there is a difference. KJ was almost averaging 10 a pop

Just now, cole256 said:

I actually don't see as far running the ball where there is a difference. KJ was almost averaging 10 a pop

Just a different frame of mind as a defender. KJ needs to be corralled first but if you get him with more than an arm tackle he can go down. Taking on KP? That's gonna require a little more help on D.

Obviously KJ could run someone over too, I'm not saying he's soft at all. It's just it seems obvious that two different things are going through your mind depending on which of those guys is running straight at you.

I think I saw a different game than most of you. Yeah there's things we can improve, but I'm not worried one bit. For one, I've never seen a defensive line dominate a supposedly "experienced" offensive line quite like we did to GASO.  I think they're better than last year. I also see some people complaining about Stidham holding onto the ball too long but I would rather him take a sack than to throw it into traffic like JJ would. I thought he did much better in the second half and that TD to Hastings was just beautiful. I love that he has elusiveness as well. The most important thing that I think people aren't understanding is that GASO is not Kent State. They're a good football team (VERY disciplined) and I can't remember the last time anyone beat them by 34 points. 

Archived