***FINAL: Auburn 41 Georgia Southern 7 --- Post-Game Thread***

RunInRed

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That actually reminded me a good bit of our 2015 game against WVU. We were outmatched on the DL, and Werts did what he could but he needed to play way more aggressive. You can easily tell he's still not comfortable in our offense yet and the amount of time it took him to make decisions doomed him in the backfield. I expect him to have a huge week next week since our OL can buy him more time to make decisions with the ball.

Kudos to you guys for the win. My only concern for you moving forward is your passing game. Our secondary is actually pretty good but most plays Stidham had all day to throw. He won't have nearly that much time against Clemson so he's going to have to find ways to get rid of the ball quicker.

Good luck next week! 

What in the OL is everyone saying was so bad?  

Looked to me like Stidham wasn't hitting his check downs in the blitz that's not on the OL.

Stidham had a great pocket but just wouldn't throw the ball.

I was disappointed in the OL play. They really struggled in the first half. They played better in the second, but really need to improve.

The D was dominant.

Stidham made some fantastic throws. At  other times he looked rusty.

We need some WR's to step up. Hastings is the only one who stepped up, IMO.

It was a typical first game. Hopefully we can improve a lot before next week.

1 minute ago, shabby said:

is the thinking here that we are masking the offense by keeping it a Malzahn base offense before we play Clemson?  I think pass protection was fine. stidham had little open receivers to throw to from what I saw. He seemed a little slow making check downs as well. Look forward to getting Pettway back

Yes, absolutely. Next week will be the real deal for better or worse. 

1 minute ago, truebluealum said:

That actually reminded me a good bit of our 2015 game against WVU. We were outmatched on the DL, and Werts did what he could but he needed to play way more aggressive. You can easily tell he's still not comfortable in our offense yet and the amount of time it took him to make decisions doomed him in the backfield. I expect him to have a huge week next week since our OL can buy him more time to make decisions with the ball.

Kudos to you guys for the win. My only concern for you moving forward is your passing game. Our secondary is actually pretty good but most plays Stidham had all day to throw. He won't have nearly that much time against Clemson so he's going to have to find ways to get rid of the ball quicker.

Good luck next week! 

Thank you . Good luck the rest of the season. Statesboro is home to the boiling shrimp. Best seafood in Ga..

Just now, truebluealum said:

Good luck next week! 

That is a stretch but he did show happy feet at times and looked cautious in making throws.

Hard to say your QB needed to be more aggressive when he was running for his life 90 % of the game. Anywho, good luck.

1 minute ago, ValleyTiger said:

Gus says after the game that Pettway and Davis will be next week. Sean out til week 3.

Week 3? Geesh

Defense was lights out. Seen AU defenses struggle before against lesser teams like this, so nice to see them hammer down. D-Line looks really deep and strong.

Offense wasn't what I was hoping for, but not really surprising. Pass protection and overall line play concerning, and Stidham was indecisive at times, but hopefully that's rust. I think our past QB struggles cause more angst than may be justified after one iffy game. Kerryon injury after big game sums up his career to this point.

Serious concerns about going to Clemson next week. Their D-line against our O-Line looks like an awful matchup.  Hope Hand can work some magic before next Saturday.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

What in the OL is everyone saying was so bad?  

Looked to me like Stidham wasn't hitting his check downs in the blitz that's not on the OL.

Stidham had a great pocket but just wouldn't throw the ball.

I'm more than willing to learn but, it seemed to me the pocket collapsed rather quickly against this kind of competition. Perhaps it could be that Stidham wasn't making his check downs like you said but, I'm just a couch coach.

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I am wondering if they ran Gus' O tonight to limit the preparation for Clemson.  

This is what I was hoping all night.  It would make the most sense, time will tell. Beat Clemson. 

Defense looked great but this was a team that has not heard of the forward pass, so it was easy for D to focus on the run game.

i am amazed how some on here  some can determine it was Gus's offense. It seemed to me that we definetly wanted to throw especially in the first half. Whether it was receivers not open or JS struggling  with progressions I don't know but as the game progressed we went to the run game which is expected. 

Like others I am amazed that NCM was invisible. I don't think he was even targeted.

As much as I like KJ he is injury prone and cannot base a running game around him. 

2 minutes ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Watched Lindsey's offenses from the past.  This was Gus, not Chip.  

Defense deserves a hell of a lot better offense.  Half decent offense and this would be a special season.  Surprised if the offense makes it close to half decent. And that rides on the job Herb Hand can do. 

Auburn pays Gus $4 + million a year for an offense of this caliber...sad.  Execution is flat out poor.

I too am mostly disappointed with the look of this supposedly new offense. Apparently the GA Southern coaches told the SEC network guys that they prepared for a Gus Malzahn offense, not a Chip Lindsey offense. Looks like they were spot on. Hoping to see quite an improvement next week in the passing game. Being honest, we were virtually ineffective throwing the football down the field against a sunbelt defense. It would be a shame to waste such an outstanding defense with more of the offensive ineptitude we witnessed last year. I am highly pissed also, that we wound up having to suspend some of the key cogs to our season in the first game. 3 years in a row that Gus has suspended, or dismissed perhaps his most valuable offensive player. edit: Sorry, 4 years, forgot about Marshall in 2014. 

5 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Good luck next week! 

You have been a class act all this time. Best wishes to your team and a healthy child whenever he/she is born.

I think tonight gave me the realization that we are what I thought we were but not what I had hoped.

Stidham has some rust and a vanilla offense didn't help with meeting expectations. He has all of the tools but he has to make his reads a little quicker.

Turnovers absolutely have to be cut down before next week. Three turnovers against Clemson will spell out d-e-f-e-a-t.

Very pleased with our top 5 Running Backs. What a spoil of riches we have there. We will be good to go if we can keep the box from being loaded.

Offensive line needs to gel. They had moments where my grandma could have ran through the holes they made for a 50 yard TD. Then they had moments where my great grandma could run past their blocks to the QB.

Receivers deserve a boot so far up their hind-quarters that their breath smells like burnt rubber. Not getting open against a much slower and smaller team is inexcusable. The case of the missing NCM is baffling. Hastings is a G. Slayton has awesome hands but didn't bring them tonight. R Davis is shifty. The talent is there but they should be practicing routes TONIGHT.

The D-Line was a bunch of monsters. The best thing they did all night was contain the edge and shift with a QB looking to scramble. Best containment I've seen in years. Also, getting pressure on passing downs was drastically improved. That'll help a thin secondary.

Linebackers were reading the option as if they were in the huddle. Swarmed excellently. Holland is a monster.

Secondary went through the night without me noticing them. That means they did their job perfectly.

Carlson was in his own head at one point but seemed to snap out of it.

Punting still looked meh. As did our punt and kick return.

Play calling was super vanilla and had too much of a Gus stink to it. Wildcat, hyper conservative, designated read options, and THE MOST INFURIATING THING! GOING TO THE TIGHT END FOR A HUGE GAIN AND THEN IGNORING HIM THE REST OF THE GAME.

In the end we gave up 7 points to a dumb fumble and the defense pitched a shutout. Meanwhile our running game put up awesome yards and our team got some much needed reps.

Here's to next week!

I thought Stidham looked better in 2nd half. He can make the throws. That last td to Hastings was perfect. Need the receivers to not drop passes and do better getting open. Having Pettway back will change the offensive rythym too I think. D will obviously be challenged more by Clemson especially the secondary. I liked seeing more passing routes and I do believe we were a little more vanilla than what we will see next week. All in all I think it was about what I expected. I don't think we will beat Clemson but after that I could see great things the rest of the year....or 8-5 who knows?

I disagree with the assessment that this was Gus's offense. The running game, yes. The passing game definitely had a new look to it.

Archived