***FINAL: Auburn 41 Georgia Southern 7 --- Post-Game Thread***

RunInRed

48 minutes ago, subterranean_jack said:

...The fumble was not Stidham's fault. The left side left him unprotected...

It was a perfectly called blitz, so hat'soff to their DC. That one probably can't be put on the line. Prince Tega was blocking the man lined up opposite him. My guess is that someone out of the backfield was supposed to account for the LB.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we can look this sloppy and still roll up over 500 total yards and 41 points this team is much better than expected

But Georgia Southern is one thing and Clemson will be something entirely different.

I hope KJ will be able to play Saturday if it's a hamstring issue I don't expect him back which means a big game from KP is vital. It would probably make sense to get Malik Miller ready.

But my biggest concern is with SW out another week, the OL better have its collective act together because if Stidham goes down then this season could be in the express elevator headed down.

Certainly glad to see the showing by the defense. It will take the kind of effort and more against Clemson because in my opinion, they looked pretty darn good. 

Anyway, WDE everyone

:wareagle:

36 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That def makes me feel a little better. That too me just means Stidham is still adjusting to not playing in a game for almost 2 years. Why was NCM not targeted?! That blows my mind. Did he ever get open? Could not tell from home. All I saw was they were just using him as a blocker because he is one of our biggest WRs.

Once again I just saw he was going downfield but i don't know who to so I can't say it was ncm, but just about everybody said there were guys open downfield. I think our o line is great at run blocking but pass not so much. I was happy to see js naturally knew to step up in the pocket, but the worse thing that can happen for a qb is the line collapse in the middle and that happened several times to us. It's actually the thing I'm worried about the most for next game

if Stidham holds the ball like he did tonight against Clemson he will get destroyed.  

I was surprised Miller didn't get more running chances.  Seemed like he got skipped for Barrett.  If KJ pulled a hammy it may be LSU before he's full strength 

I really would of liked to see Sean tonight.  He keeps a cool head most of the time.  If Clemson gets Stidham rattled next week it would be nice to have another option.

I was a little surprised/disappointed in stidham's pocket presence.  Hopefully that is something he'll get a feel for again after playing a couple games. But a lot of the sacks and loses where on plays he just held on to it forever. Gonna have to decide a lot quicker against Clemson next week. 

OL did struggle some at first but I think they got better as the game went along so that is encouragung. They'll be tested for real next week so they better keep improving. 

That was definitely Gus' O.  Curious if that was to hold back for Clemson or not. Hope it was. 

D was just wow. Really great game by that whole side. DL dominated the whole game and tre cleaned up everything. Holland looks really quick coming off the end. He is going to be fun to watch. You could tell the Clemson QB wasn't going to heat us in the air so that made them pretty easy to defend. But still can't play much better than they did. 

Great first game. Going to be a heck of a challenge next week so hope our guys are ready!!

7 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Another 7-5 year, but Shreveport is nice in the wintertime

Really? First of all we won 41-7. Second, it was the first week of the the season with a brand new offensive coordinator. The OL and overall offense will improve every week, if they stay healthy. 3rd, we were missing the most productive and dominant player from our team, and still put up 41. And lastly, do you think that this was the full blown Auburn offense? Or could they be holding back a little for the defending Champs? Why on earth are you whining??

I've seen talks about the receivers not getting separation and getting open. Obviously Stidham held the ball way too long, but can anyone that was there provide clarity if the separation issue was why? I can't see all of our receivers jammed up that much the entire game. 

4 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

So you're saying if Jarrett goes down, Sean's suspension goes away? What the Hades kind of suspension is that? I swear if Gus was not a football coach he should look into being a politician, or espionage. Jeez!

Lol, made me think of Colonel Flagg. 

d9drgmm_d.jpg

4 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

It was a perfectly called blitz, so hat'soff to their DC. That one probably can't be put on the line. Prince Tega was blocking the man lined up opposite him. My guess is that someone out of the backfield was supposed to account for the LB.

Yep, looked like KJ didn't pick him up. 

4 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

That's what I saw too.  However the RB was used for a PA fake on the play and, thus, wasn't available to pick up the blitz.  The only possible way I can see to have prevented it would be if Stidham recognized the blitz pre-snap and audibled to different play.

9 hours ago, AUFlyer99 said:

When your team wins 41-7 and you're still not happy.   THIS is SEC football.....

Definite concerns for next week, but glad to see a win and a stellar defense.  

We played a Sunbelt conference team.

1 minute ago, Bottomfeeder said:

We played a Sunbelt conference team.

And we won like you'd expect to win over one.  Zero points given up by the defense.  78 yds of total offense given up.  Over 350 yds rushing averaging 6.6 yds per carry.  Were there some hiccups on the OL and between Stidham and the WRs?  Yeah.  But we dominated that game.  

A lot of people were upset and said the offense didn't look much different but I believe that was by design. We want Clemson to prepare like they are going to see the same stuff they saw last year and throw something different out there. Jarrett needed to knock the rust off and that was a good game for that. he just has to get the speed of the game back. You could tell his timing was off. #WDE

I too was concerned about JS holding the ball too long. I wasn't able to see a lot of the WR routes, but I did see receivers just play drop balls they should have caught. If JS was reticent because his receivers were not where they should have been, or if he lacked confidence in their ability to contest for 50/50 balls, I can see that would be an explanation.

We all knew all along that KJ is not an every down back. We also know that CGM tends to get on one guy and ride him till he drops. So, KJ's injury goes on CGM as far as I'm concerned.

The overall offense looked to me like Gus O with a few added crossing routes. Not what I was hoping to see. The entire offense is just going to have to execute better against Clemson to get a win. Auburn's D will be tested by a team that knows how to pass the ball, but I think the defense can keep Auburn in the game -- IF the offense can put together some drives and get into the end zone.

Anyone dissapointed over last night needs to wake up. Stidham had a TD dropped by Slayton early pm a perfect pass. He had 2 or 3 more drops by Sal Slayton and I believe Hastings had 1. We should have had well over 200 yards passing and 3tds.  RunnING game was dominant without the bestimate rb in the SEC. We were also missing probably our best WR. Defense was stellar I have never seen a defense this good at Auburn. They look like a bama defense under Saban. Great first game win where our defense had a shutout. It was the first game JS had played in 2 years and he was a little rusty but come on without the drops he has another TD and would have had much better numbers. Derrick Brown is a stud and Jeff Holland looks goI'd taking over at buck. It was only Georgia Southern but we still shut them out. The turnovers need to be fixed but it was the first game with a qb who hasn't played football in 2 years and this was his 5th game to ever play. 

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

I too was concerned about JS holding the ball too long. I wasn't able to see a lot of the WR routes, but I did see receivers just play drop balls they should have caught. If JS was reticent because his receivers were not where they should have been, or if he lacked confidence in their ability to contest for 50/50 balls, I can see that would be an explanation.

We all knew all along that KJ is not an every down back. We also know that CGM tends to get on one guy and ride him till he drops. So, KJ's injury goes on CGM as far as I'm concerned.

The overall offense looked to me like Gus O with a few added crossing routes. Not what I was hoping to see. The entire offense is just going to have to execute better against Clemson to get a win. Auburn's D will be tested by a team that knows how to pass the ball, but I think the defense can keep Auburn in the game -- IF the offense can put together some drives and get into the end zone.

JS did hold the ball 2 long when he had some open wr. That will be fixed. Once again his first game in 2 years. He should have had 4 total tds 3 passing 1 rushing.

My thoughts:

D was magnificent especially the D line.  Kudos to the D coaching staff their guys looked great even the backups.  

OL was horrible in pass protection the first half.  A little better in the second half. If they come out next week like they came out this week we will have no chance against the Clemson DL.  

I feel sorry for KJ.  The kid is great when he is well but he just can't stay that way.  KM did well but we need big Bubba back and rolling to get the inside running game going.  

Stidham looked like a deer in the headlights the first half but settled down as he got better protection later on.  Receivers still dropping balls.like last year.  I was expecting big things from NCM but he was MIA in the passing game just like last year.

Always surprising any time you actually see Legatron miss.  

I never try to read too much into a first game especially an easy win but the OL pass blocking, the JS happy feet and inaccuracy along with the drops have to be concerning.  I expected much better from the passing game.  

1 minute ago, AURex said:

KJ''s injury on Gus?   You must be kidding...it was about his 6th carry or something and he was wide open heading for another TD....one thing for sure. KJ has never been healthy enough to get overworked.

I'm still concerned about the same thing I was before the game. THE O-LINE !!!!! The way the D-Line dominated that team is the way the O-Line should have dominated. Hand needs to get his crap together. And we need Pettway back ASAP we were a different team with KP last year and I hope we will be when he returns. As everyone else I'm baffled by our WR's if they can't get more separation against a team like this, how are they going to against the better teams. D looked great hope they do next week, we will need them to just to have a chance. I've always heard a team makes the most improvement from week 1 to week 2 hope that is right and we make a lot of improvement.

I got to say, my initial reaction of Stidham's play was disappointment but after thinking about it I'm not im as disappointed as I was. While I tried to hamper my expectations, and ignore the media hype as well, it was hard not to think he was going to go out there and light it up with passing yards totalling in the upper 200's. Those expectations are why I'm not as disappointed as I was. It's not fair for me to be disappointed for him to not live up to my own expectations. When I take a step back and look it, without those crucial drops by the receivers, Stidham has at least one more passing TD and possibly 50 more yards which would have put him over 200. I mean yes he definitely held the ball entirely too long and that INT was ugly but the kid hasn't played in 2 years so I think that's to be expected. Regardless, he is a definite improvement from what we have had the past two years and if he can get better each week we will have a hell of a team. 

That play calling.... let's just hope that was a cover up. 

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

KJ''s injury on Gus?   You must be kidding...it was about his 6th carry or something and he was wide open heading for another TD....one thing for sure. KJ has never been healthy enough to get overworked.

No, I'm not kidding. It was not his 6th carry. It was his 16th carry and that was only about 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter. I hope the injury is not serious and that he can come back quickly. KJ is a good change of pace for KP. He works hard and deserves playing time. He;'s definitely a positive on the team. But you can't ride him like that.

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Lol, made me think of Colonel Flagg. 

d9drgmm_d.jpg

I'm amazed sometimes at the length some will go to pump sunshine into any situation. We should have a sunshine emoticon so all you have to do is click on it.

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I have see a lot of people talk about this on other websites as well.  We all know KJ is injury prone. The problem Everyone seems to have is this - we ran him with pace 6 or 7 straight times in a row. That seems like a recipe for disaster for anyone, but especially for a kid that has problems with injuries. Later we run KM with pace several times in a row and he fumbles - which he is known to do as well. 

These guys get tired and injuries/fumbles happen. The play calling... 

But wow at our defense. Unreal good!!

20 minutes ago, AURex said:

No, I'm not kidding. It was not his 6th carry. It was his 16th carry and that was only about 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter. I hope the injury is not serious and that he can come back quickly. KJ is a good change of pace for KP. He works hard and deserves playing time. He;'s definitely a positive on the team. But you can't ride him like that.

OK you got me there..but what else is he going to do? .AU is a running team and it could more or less run at will last night.  The team shoots for something like 70 or 80 plays in a game and someone is going to get a lot of carries...several someones for that matter.    Maybe I put this on KP for getting himself into trouble and not being able to share the load.

As for KJ, he's been one of my favorites since day 1....and I don't know what can be done to keep him from breaking down on a fluke play like that. Injuries like that happen to baseball players running out a hit, or sprinters, and WRs too.   I expect there is a known cause but I'm thinking that carrying the ball is not one of them....just wondering? 

Archived