Georgia Southern Game Report Card

StatTiger

Well we know our Run defense is going to be good this year. 

The offense was a little disappointing, hope we get more opportunities to air it out. Even the Georgia Southern coach said that they expected what we were doing which struck me 

Edited by Randman5000

45 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Game #1 Statistical Evaluation (Georgia Southern Game)

Offensive Report Card

01) Avg 6-yards per play on 1st down: [8.85] pass
02) Convert at least 40% of 3rd downs:  [37.5%] fail
03) Avg at least 4.5 yards per rush:  [6.62] pass
04) Score on at least 1/3 of possessions:  [46.7%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series under 33%:  [20.0%] pass
06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [7.07 yds] fail
07) Score at least 75% inside red zone:  [100.0%] pass
08) TD red zone above 60%:  [75.0%] pass
09) Avg at least 30-yards per possession:  [35.7 yds] pass
10) 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [51.9%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio above 1.6:  [1.7] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 17 snaps:  [15.8] pass
13) At least 8 impact plays:  [10] pass
14) At least 2 big plays:  [4] pass
15) Pass rating of at least 126.3:  [134.8] pass

Score: 13 of 15 (86.7%) Pass

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [3.43] pass
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [0.0%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [1.49] pass
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [0.0%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [78.6%] pass
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [.88 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [00.0%] pass
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [00.0%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [5.6 yds] pass
10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [0.0%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [0 /1] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [56 snaps - 0 TD] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  [1] pass
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [0] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [29.7] pass

Score: 15 of 15 (100.0%) Pass

Special Teams Report Card:

1) Punt Average (Above 41.3):  [42.0] pass
2) Punt Return Defense (Below 7.8 YPR): [0.0] pass
3) Punt Return Offense (Above 9.8 YPR): [6.0] fail
4) Kick-Return Defense (Below 21.2 YPR): [15.0] pass
5) Kick-Return Offense (Above 22.3 YPR): [29.0] pass
6) PAT’s (100%): [5 / 5] pass
7) FG Pct (75% or above): [50.0] fail

Score: 5 of 7 (71.4%) Pass

* 50% is a passing score.

The Auburn defense played a near perfect game and if not for a costly defensive score allowed, should have been rewarded a shutout for the game. The last time Auburn held an opponent to under 80-yards in total offense was 1985 when the Tigers held Ole Miss to just nine total yards. The 78-yards surrendered to GSU was the 4th best defensive performance during the last 660 Auburn games. Take away the 25-yard run allowed during the game and the Auburn defense held the Eagles to 53-yards on their remaining 55 offensive snaps. Kevin Steele's defense played extremely well and was very disciplined throughout the entire contest despite massing substitution. The eleven "3 & out" series recorded by the Auburn defense was the most by an Auburn defense during the last 305 games.

Other than out-manning the Georgia Southern defense, the Auburn offense had a very pedestrian outing tonight. The offensive game-plan was extremely vanilla and for the most part, looked no different than the offense we have witnessed for the past two seasons. It was once again, very predictable and not quarterback friendly. Of Auburn's 34 snaps on first down, only seven were "called" pass plays (20.6%). Jarrett Stidham was efficient against GSU but was placed in too many predictable situations. He attempted eight passes on third down compared to only five passes thrown on first down. Kerryon Johnson and Kam Martin both finished with 136-yards rushing each, but Johnson appeared to have left the game with a possible hamstring injury.

If the defense can remain healthy, this could be an outstanding defense this season, but it is way too early to tell. Regardless of the level of competition, Auburn's defense played exceptionally well tonight, and you have to love the degree of intensity they played with considering the opponent. Auburn's offensive tackles will have to play much better next week, or it could be a long day for Jarrett Stidham. Better play-calling could also help the offensive line as well as placing Stidham in a better situation to have success. There will be questions this week, whether or not Chip Lindsey called all the plays tonight. From what we witnessed tonight, there were too many similarities to what we have seen on offense the past two seasons.

They say the most improvement comes during the second week of the season and the offense certainly needs to improve to beat the defending national champions on the road next Saturday. Auburn averaged 8.85 yards per play on first down, but 3 of those first down snaps netted 155-yards. Auburn averaged only 4.7 yards per play on their remaining 31 first down plays. If this trend continues against Clemson, the Auburn defense will likely need to hold Clemson under 20 points again to secure a victory. The way the defense performed tonight, I would not be shocked to see the defense accomplish just that.

War Eagle!

This is the same game that I saw as well.

wde

• Haha 1

The defense may need to hold Clemson to zero if our offense doesn't play better. Hope Carlson doesn't miss any next week, we will need those points.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kd4au said:

The defense may need to hold Clemson to zero if our offense doesn't play better. Hope Carlson doesn't miss any next week, we will need those points.

I mean this in a "funny" way, but does anybody else find it odd that Gus has supposedly been spending a ton of time with ST and Carlson suddenly misses 2 kicks in game one ? Lol

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Defense played a great game. Kicking game will get better as the season rocks on. Heck, Carlson missed a few FG's last year and he still ended up the best FG and PAT kicker in college football. As far as the offense goes, it needs a lot of work. Also, Gus had his hands all over the offense. At least for right now, Chip is Auburn's OC only by name. I hope Gus really hands over ALL offense to Chip. Dang, that's why he hired Chip in the first place.

Edited by auburn4ever
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

II'm certainly no optimist when it comes to Gus but I really thought I saw more positive signs offensively than what most are saying.  There were some shorter pass routes like the quick slant Davis scored on and some more intermediate ones also. Yes there were definitely some of the same ol predictable situations like the wildcat call that everyone knew what was coming but I wouldn't expect them to open up the playbook against gsu. For me, the upcoming game will tell a lot. If we get the same predictable playcalling against a quality opponent that costs us a chance at a win then the writing is on the wall for our season. But if we see a different offense with potential then even in a loss I will be encouraged for the rest of our schedule.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Defense played a great game. Kicking game will get better as the season rocks on. Heck, Carlson missed a few FG's last year and he still ended up the best FG and PAT kicker in college football. As far as the offense goes, it needs a lot of work. Also, Gus had his hands all over the offense. At least for right now, Chip is Auburn's OC only by name. I hope Gus really hands over ALL offense to Chip. Dang, that's why he hired Chip in the first place.

I don't know....looked like the bama or FSU offense to me...same stuff vanilla stuff in that game too....other than they both ended up with less than 300 yards total offense for the night.  Can't imagine what  people are expecting from CCL's offense?   

I expect that every week a good number of people are going to make this same comment as if it is an indictment of the guy who helped guide AU to two national championship games in about 5 years....which was two more than AU was involved in for about 50 years prior to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I think you're wrong friend. I think he hired Chip to be quiet about the fact that he is going to pay him very well to give the illusion some one else is running the offense besides Gus.

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I don't know....looked like the bama or FSU offense to me...same stuff vanilla stuff in that game too....other than they both ended up with less than 300 yards total offense for the night.  Can't imagine what  people are expecting from CCL's offense?   

I expect that every week a good number of people are going to make this same comment as if it is an indictment of the guy who helped guide AU to two national championship games in about 5 years....which was two more than AU was involved in for about 50 years prior to that.

No offense to you sir, but I think I could have coached a Cam Newton led offense to a national championship. For that matter, I may have been able to do the same with Nick Marshall, Tre Mason, and Grey Robinson. After all, we won games in 2013 attempting less than double digit passes. That will most likely never be duplicated again in major college football. 

• Facepalm 1

Just a question. I heard all spring, and fall about getting the running backs involved in the passing game. Did we have a running back catch a pass last night? I remember one failed attempt at the wheel route, but I mean dump offs to running backs that are very effective at slowing down an over aggressive pass rush. Any one remember any of those? Me neither. 

• Like 1

Their pass rush wasn't over aggressive, our OLine just wasn't good. 

Aside from that, to dump off to the RB you need to have 

1. A running back that isn't in the backfield blocking

2. A QB that doesn't have happy feet and an overactive internal clock due to no live game action for 2 years. 

I can't draw any conclusions about whether those passes were integrated into the offense, and the only reason that you are able to is because of a deep-seated resentment of Gus Malzhan. You, sir, are a total pill. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Game #1 Statistical Evaluation (Georgia Southern Game)

Defensive Report Card:

01) Avg under 6-yards per play on 1st down: [3.43] pass
02) Convert below 35% of 3rd downs:  [0.0%] pass
03) Avg at least 4.0 yards per rush or less:  [1.49] pass
04) Score  1/3 of possessions or below:  [0.0%] pass
05) Keep 3 and out series above 33%:  [78.6%] pass
06) Average below 7.5 yards per pass attempt: [.88 yds] pass
07) Score below 75% inside red zone:  [00.0%] pass
08) TD red zone below 60%:  [00.0%] pass
09) Avg under 30-yards per possession:  [5.6 yds] pass
10) Less than 40% of offensive snaps part of scoring drives:  [0.0%] pass
11) TD / Turnover ratio below 1.6:  [0 /1] pass
12) TD ratio of at least 1 every 30 snaps:  [56 snaps - 0 TD] pass
13) Less than 8 impact plays:  [1] pass
14) No more than 2 big plays allowed: [0] pass
15) Pass rating below 125.0:  [29.7] pass

Score: 15 of 15 (100.0%) Pass

I'm in loveeeee 

I guess I need to just shut up, and reserve judgment a few more weeks. I am just beyond frustrated with what I have seen on offense for nearly three years. We have way too much talent to keep seeing what we have been witnessing. Against a Sunbelt team, we should be able to play pitch and catch almost at will with our talent.  I will shut up, and watch for now. I think it is obvious that I climbed off the Gus Bus a long time ago. I still have hopes, because we have recruited so well under him, and Steele has us playing outstanding defense. Many of us said ever since the season concluded last year that we could turn things around if Gus would make an offensive coordinator change, and let him run HIS offense. So far, I don't think that is the case.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Their pass rush wasn't over aggressive, our OLine just wasn't good. 

Aside from that, to dump off to the RB you need to have 

1. A running back that isn't in the backfield blocking

2. A QB that doesn't have happy feet and an overactive internal clock due to no live game action for 2 years. 

I can't draw any conclusions about whether those passes were integrated into the offense, and the only reason that you are able to is because of a deep-seated resentment of Gus Malzhan. You, sir, are a total pill. 

Whatever dude. I'm a total pill because I have no faith in Malzahn. Tell me was I also a total pill in 97, 98 when I had total resentment for Terry Bowden?  My allegiance is to Auburn University, not Gus Malzahn. I assure you.

18 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I guess I need to just shut up, and reserve judgment a few more weeks. I am just beyond frustrated with what I have seen on offense for nearly three years. We have way too much talent to keep seeing what we have been witnessing. Against a Sunbelt team, we should be able to play pitch and catch almost at will with our talent.  I will shut up, and watch for now. I think it is obvious that I climbed off the Gus Bus a long time ago. I still have hopes, because we have recruited so well under him, and Steele has us playing outstanding defense. Many of us said ever since the season concluded last year that we could turn things around if Gus would make an offensive coordinator change, and let him run HIS offense. So far, I don't think that is the case.

I'm not a Gus defender but to be fair, we still managed 535 total yards without our best RB. And only had to punt once if I remember correctly 

Edited by AuburnTiger4Life
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I feel your pain.  Gus has set himself up for failure.  How do you suspend players and not adjust your game plan for the loss by running your #2 RB into the ground?  How do you suspend your backup QB and not play your true freshmen QB to get some game experience in case you need him for next week?  Sounds like the preparation for the UGA game last year.  Absolutely no situational awareness with regard to his personnel.  Gus maybe an offensive genius, but as a manager, no so much.

CCL was internviewed earlier in the year concerning his learning experience with losing his starting and backup QB's last season.  If he is really running the offense, don't you think he would have played Willis?  Forget the redshirt, Gus has put himself in a tenuous situation with the suspension of SW.  I'm not saying he didn't need to suspend him, but adjust your thinking Gus.  If JS goes down, we now rely on a walk on QB to play against the defending NC and/or a true freshmen with no game experience.

I had high hopes Gus would progress as a HC, but I'm very concerned with his managing of his offense going forward.

Beat Clemson.

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I'm not a Gus defender but to be fair, we still managed 535 total yards without our best RB. 

I get that, and give credit where it is due. I am just recognizing trends. We were also playing a team we could dominate physically. Teams that we can line up, and dominate physically has not been our problem of late. 

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I feel your pain.  Gus has set himself up for failure.  How do you suspend players and not adjust your game plan for the loss by running your #2 RB into the ground?  How do you suspend your backup QB and not play your true freshmen QB to get some game experience in case you need him for next week?  Sounds like the preparation for the UGA game last year.  Absolutely no situational awareness with regard to his personnel.  Gus maybe an offensive genius, but as a manager, no so much.

CCL was internviewed earlier in the year concerning his learning experience with losing his starting and backup QB's last season.  If he is really running the offense, don't you think he would have played Willis?  Forget the redshirt, Gus has put himself in a tenuous situation with the suspension of SW.  I'm not saying he didn't need to suspend him, but adjust your thinking Gus.  If JS goes down, we now rely on a walk on QB to play against the defending NC and/or a true freshmen with no game experience.

I had high hopes Gus would progress as a HC, but I'm very concerned with his managing of his offense going forward.

Beat Clemson.

Careful there bud. I got called out on another thread for questioning this very decision. Was told that if Stidham goes down that Gus would rescind the suspension of White during the game!

I think we will be fine. I seem to remember a certain kid wearing #2 who looked pedestrian until the 4th game a few years ago.

• Like 4