Georgia Southern Game Report Card

StatTiger

Anybody that thought Gus was going to "turn the offense over" to an OC had rocks in their heads. That's not how a manager of anything operates nor should that be how he operates.. The manager sets a framework and hires people to operate within that framework. Gus's offenses have set all-time records at AU. I believe a short time ago Stat Tiger posted that four of the top five offenses in Auburn history had Gus involved. Why would anybody want Gus to go "hands off" with the offense when he's the best we've ever had? SMH

• Like 3
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Anybody that thought Gus was going to "turn the offense over" to an OC had rocks in their heads. That's not how a manager of anything operates nor should that be how he operates.. The manager sets a framework and hires people to operate within that framework. Gus's offenses have set all-time records at AU. I believe a short time ago Stat Tiger posted that four of the top five offenses in Auburn history had Gus involved. Why would anybody want Gus to go "hands off" with the offense when he's the best we've ever had? SMH

Your first sentence is kind of my point Mikey. Yes sir, you are right that he has had tremendous success at times, and set records in a very much evolved college football game. Teams these days are sething all time records nearly every week. I still hold out lots of hope for Gus, but am not going to be happy with an offense that cannot be effective unless they can overpower the opponent. We may wind up with a very good offense before the season is concluded.We still have some deficiencies in our approach I believe, and Stat so eloquently pointed out. If it doesn't produce however, I will lay the blame for that squarely on Gus. Not Chip, Herb Hand, not Jarrethe Stidham, and not the offensive line. The talent is there for Gus to produce an offensive product that strikes fear in every opponent that we play. We must be equally dangerous through the air as we are on the ground if we hope to be one of those elite teams that contend for the playoff most years. I say all this to emphasize my point, not to attempt to tell you anything you do not already know.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StatTiger said:

06) Average 8.0 yards per pass attempt: [7.07 yds] fail

@StatTiger first of all, thank you for doing a thankless job with these posts.  It makes it a ton easier to evaluate things without having to look up stats on our own.  Having said that:

5 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Of Auburn's 34 snaps on first down, only seven were "called" pass plays (20.6%). Jarrett Stidham was efficient against GSU but was placed in too many predictable situations. He attempted eight passes on third down compared to only five passes thrown on first down.

If these two things continue throughout the season, it's gonna be the SOS and we're gonna wind up with 4-6 losses when all is said and done.  I pray all the excuses offered for this are legit, (vanilla, Stidham rusty, not showing Clemson anything, Gus will open up the playbook next week, etc.) or it's gonna get ugly.

I didn't realize GM had taken a special interest in special teams...:cry3:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

What was our first down play selection % (Run vs Pass)?

30 runs and 5 passes or 85.1% run.

Three of the runs were called pass-plays so it was closer to 77.1% run.

just one observation from the first game regarding those I am reading here who are frustrated that they see only a GM play calling offense.

I can understand seeing hurry up and zone reads as proof it is Gus calling plays, but hear me out (for now..as I reserve the right to jump in with you guys after 3 games) :Sing:

1. What do you expect to see prior to the game with the defending National Champion on their field? 99% of the coaches are not going to show their tendencies or key offensive plays that they will use against the more important games in the season. 

2. I did see more crossing routes, vertical routes ,etc than in the past. I saw plays that Lindsey uses when was OC at other schools.  I saw some deep balls. I didnt expect to see screens and all pass plays they will use in Clemson.

3. On the run/pass selection on first down...again I see that changing in more important games. I also felt they wanted to get JS comfortable (since he hadn't played in 19 months and STILL has only played in 3-4 games i think period.

4. If the game is close in Clemson...be prepared for more conservative play calling, as GM wil rely on his D to help win. Remember Cam when he came in didn't get unleashed until the 4th, I think. 

So let's wait and see for now. 

• Like 4

One thing that really irritated me was just after Martin's longest run of the night, we decide to hurry up and run him again right up the middle for no gain. Infuriating. 

• Like 1

I guess I just don't see what the fuss is all about. Did you guys expect us to throw the kitchen sink at a team we clearly didn't have to?  Why would any rational person do that??We ran the easy, obvious stuff because, well,- that's all it took to mash this team. We'll see the real deal next week for good or for bad. I may be with the waded up panties crowd after but until then, chillax. :)

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

Careful there bud. I got called out on another thread for questioning this very decision. Was told that if Stidham goes down that Gus would rescind the suspension of White during the game!

Well, there could be an issue with that plan.  In the past, suspended players usually do not travel with the team to away games.  Now if SW travels to Clemson, that would be telling in more ways then one.

I'm really hoping Gus does great this year and Auburn excels.  I just don't believe he is starting off on good footing.

Beat Clemson. 

True story - if Stidham wasn't rusty, I don't think we have nearly as many negative reviews.  

Paranoid Gus isn't gonna show any more than absolutely necessary.  So although I was a little disappointed, I wasn't surprised by the play calling. 

16 carries is NOT "running KJ into the ground".   However, he likely would have gotten about 25 if he didn't get injured. 

My bottom line: One game is too early to pass judgement.  

When was the last time our O was in mid season form on week 1?  (With the possible exception of 2014).

We all have our concerns. We all SHOULD know there is plenty opportunity for significant growth on O.  

Im gonna wait until after week 4 before I really commit to how I feel about this team. After Clemson, we have another tune up game before we start league games week 4.  After @Mizzou we should have a much better idea about what we have. Until then, let's not lose any sleep over it. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Well, there could be an issue with that plan.  In the past, suspended players usually do not travel with the team to away games.  Now if SW travels to Clemson, that would be telling in more ways then one.

I'm really hoping Gus does great this year and Auburn excels.  I just don't believe he is starting off on good footing.

Beat Clemson. 

Yeah, I thought about the traveling part myself.  The explanation he gave was so absurd, I didn't even mention it.

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

True story - if Stidham wasn't rusty, I don't think we have nearly as many negative reviews.  

Paranoid Gus isn't gonna show any more than absolutely necessary.  So although I was a little disappointed, I wasn't surprised by the play calling. 

16 carries is NOT "running KJ into the ground".   However, he likely would have gotten about 25 if he didn't get injured. 

My bottom line: One game is too early to pass judgement.  

When was the last time our O was in mid season form on week 1?  (With the possible exception of 2014).

We all have our concerns. We all SHOULD know there is plenty opportunity for significant growth on O.  

Im gonna wait until after week 4 before I really commit to how I feel about this team. After Clemson, we have another tune up game before we start league games week 4.  After @Mizzou we should have a much better idea about what we have. Until then, let's not lose any sleep over it. 

As far as I can remember we have pretty much been unprepared early in the season under Gus. At least the first game last year comes to mind. Seem to remember struggling with Washington State in 2013 as well. Seem to also remember him saying that he really didn't know what he had with Cam in 2010 until about game 3. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yeah, I thought about the traveling part myself.  The explanation he gave was so absurd, I didn't even mention it.

It appears that Gus didn't use the "suspended" word, just unavailable for the game.  This gives Gus a lot of wiggle room.  I'm sure Gus will address it this week, but will be as vague as ever. We won't know until we see SW on the sidelines in uniform,or not.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

It appears that Gus didn't use the "suspended" word, just unavailable for the game.  This gives Gus a lot of wiggle room.  I'm sure Gus will address it this week, but will be as vague as ever. We won't know until we see SW on the sidelines in uniform,or not.

Yeah, I was trying to imagine Sean on the sideline next week in street clothes, and running to the locker room to change.

Many have chalked up the offense being vanilla to who we were playing, but also don't consider that who we were playing had an impact on why we ran it more. GA Southern was incredibly weak against the run last year and actually did quite well against the pass. It's only smart game planning to take advantage of that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

On the post-game radio show, Gus said "Pettway and Davis will play next week. White will be back for week three." There was nothing vague about it.

It's like they said in the broadcast: GSU prepared for a Gus Malzhan offense, which we gave them, now we unleash Chip on Clemson ??

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Well we know our Run defense is going to be good this year. 

The offense was a little disappointing, hope we get more opportunities to air it out. Even the Georgia Southern coach said that they expected what we were doing which struck me 

It didn't strike me, but maybe that's indicative of just how often I've heard a comment like that about a Gus offense, and maybe just how vanilla Gus wanted this offense yesterday

11 hours ago, StatTiger said:

30 runs and 5 passes or 85.1% run.

Three of the runs were called pass-plays so it was closer to 77.1% run.

Is it possible that a lot of these plays were RPO plays that JS chose the run because that is what he was reading from the defense?

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

On the post-game radio show, Gus said "Pettway and Davis will play next week. White will be back for week three." There was nothing vague about it.

So, as a HC do you think Gus has painted himself into a corner with the lack of an experienced QB to relieve JS if he goes down? It's shades of the UGA game last year.  CCL had to work through losing a QB or two last year with ASU;  do you think CCL didn't learn from his experience?

Our back up QB is either a walk on or a true freshman who could have had meaningful snaps in a game last week, but didn't.  Two starting QB's have gone down already this year when playing in a competitive game (Texas A&M and FSU) and we go into Clemson very thin at the QB position. 

Again, I'm not questioning the need to suspend SW, I'm concerned that Gus has not prepared for contingencies during his HC tenure at Auburn.

20 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, as a HC do you think Gus has painted himself into a corner with the lack of an experienced QB to relieve JS if he goes down? It's shades of the UGA game last year.  CCL had to work through losing a QB or two last year with ASU;  do you think CCL didn't learn from his experience?

Our back up QB is either a walk on or a true freshman who could have had meaningful snaps in a game last week, but didn't.  Two starting QB's have gone down already this year when playing in a competitive game (Texas A&M and FSU) and we go into Clemson very thin at the QB position. 

Again, I'm not questioning the need to suspend SW, I'm concerned that Gus has not prepared for contingencies during his HC tenure at Auburn.

I mean, I hate that our back up is out, but I also hate that our back up put the team in this position. 

What else could Gus have done besides give Malik reps against GA So and burn his possible red shirt because SW can't follow the rules? This is a genuine question FWIW.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I mean, I hate that our back up is out, but I also hate that our back up put the team in this position. 

What else could Gus have done besides give Malik reps against GA So and burn his possible red shirt because SW can't follow the rules? This is a genuine question FWIW.

SW put us in this position, no arguement.  This is what a coach that earns $4 mil a year is paid for.  If Gus make the decision to suspend SW, there were rumors two or three days before the game, he needs to plan for contingencies.  Gus self induced this, he plans to RS Willis, (Gus loves to stick to his plan as he is very inflexible) but there comes a time when plans go out the window when circumstances dictate.

Burnning a RS is not the worst thing you can do.  Not having a viable option as a backup QB is a lot worse IMO.  Gus believe nothing can go wrong, but if JS goes down, we're in trouble.  Ask Texas A&M and FSU how easy it is to lose a starting QB, not to mention KJ.  Stuff happens and you have to have contingencies. 

ETA:  Gus could have given Willis the reps in practice he gave the walk on to get Willis ready.  Willis would have had game experience going in to the Clemson game.  A miss opportunity IMO.

Edited by I_M4_AU
  • Like 2

I am not going to read a whole lot into the Georgia Southern game.  The debate of whether or not Gus and Lindsey were going to open up the play book or go vanilla was answered.  And bottom line is Stidham has a lot of rust.  Part of going vanilla might have been to help ease Stidham back into playing as much as it was not showing our hand to Clemson. We will see.

Geez, I hope this isn't a dumb question. I've googled and can't find a definitive answer.

Regarding redshirting, is it possible to take one in a non-freshman year if you've already played?

Scenario which I hate to think about: Stidham gets injured against Clemson and Malik comes in to play. Maybe even for a few games. Stidham recovers and retakes his starting spot. Stidham comes back in 2018 and gets a full season in without injury. Can Malik redshirt his sophomore season?

Signs point to yes in what I've read, but I just want to clarify that it's not a total "burning" of the redshirt if Malik has to come in this season in Stidham/White's absence.

Thanks...